• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bulliss
    Administrator
    • Jan 2008

Locked Threads

As most of you have already guessed, I did not look at the board until this morning. Light moderation is something that many of you enjoy about this board and is something I have no intention of changing. Of course, light moderation requires self-control among the members, which is a hit and miss sort of thing.

It may not be apparent, but I have been trying to keep some of the personal attacks off the board and have had some success lately. My attempts have included contacting members and banning a few others. I plan to continue taking the behind the scenes, personal approach to keeping order and expect it to eventually pay off. Don’t expect an overnight turn-around though, as this approach takes time.

Regarding the weekend’s threads, I am still working my way through them, but have read enough to recognize the same old pattern; many of the usual suspects up to their usual behavior. It looks to me as though all sides of the arguments are to blame.

This board’s primary purpose is to build and support the hobby machining community. Fights like these only get in the way of this purpose and drive away newcomers. I don’t mind some OT posts and I don’t mind some disagreement, but the personal grudges have to go.

For those who have written to me through email or PM, I will not be able to respond to every message, but promise that they have all been read and I do pay attention to the suggestions I receive.

George
    George
    Traverse City, MI
  • jep24601
    • Jun 2010

Sounds like you could use a little help in the moderation department.
    "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Comment

• Al Messer
      • Jun 2002

How about a pat on the back and a "good job, George" every once in a while?

Comment

Seems like we had a "Good job, George" thread going a while back. Some of the "usual suspects", managed to bugger that up as well.

Time for some assistant moderators? Sounds like jep24601 would like to help, so would I.

rosco
        Last edited by Guest; 01-31-2011, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• .RC.
          • Aug 2004

Problem with moderators is some can quickly get on a power trip and destroy a forum.. Chasing people away..Seen it happen many times when they let their feelings and opinions drive their moderation decision rather then something which breaks the rules..

I have not seen too much wrong with this forum at the moment other then a few people getting offended at a perceived problem when none really exists..
          Precision takes time.

Comment

• Liger Zero
            • Apr 2007

.RC. is correct about the power-tripping. Look at what RPG.net and TREKbbs have become because of a few power-happy admins.

Another technical forum I used to frequent very rarely gets traffic because a few opinionated jackass moderators drove away all the traffic after 9/11 and the run up to the Wars. French molders were a good % of the traffic, as were other European members.

ONE moderator took it upon himself to IP ban every French member of the forum. 120 members. They never recovered their reputation after that.

Best to let George handle the moderator duties. He's fairly level-headed and fair.
            This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
            Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
            Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

• RKW
              • Jun 2007

It seems to me that it is too much for any one person to handle by themselves. I would certainly not expect George or anyone else to have to read every thread 24 hours a day. Any of the more drastic measures (banning) could be handled by George directly. Locking threads once they go downhill would not be a bad thing at all, they could always be unlocked if needed.
              "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

-- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

Comment

This thread....

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...ghlight=george View pages 7-9, where a previous "Thank you" became derailed.

Comment

• becksmachine
                  • Feb 2010

Yer doing a great job George, thank you!

Dave

Comment

• cuemaker
                    • Nov 2004

I will say again what I said in post #10 of the thread above..

George has a certain savoir faire in a minimalist fashion that best serves this community as a moderator......

Keep it up George!
                    Last edited by cuemaker; 01-31-2011, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• Black_Moons
                      • Aug 2009

Yea I just vote we keep george as the only mod. As much as I would love to nominate myself to moderate, George is really doing a fine job. As for the bull that gets by... Well, The kids gotta fight each other sometime.
                      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

• SDL
                        • Apr 2006

As one who has had a thread deleted, I say leave things as they are, George does a great Job.

If you not interested in a thread, on topic or, off don't read it.

Some of the Off topic threads have been brilliant others a yawn, read the bits you find interesting, just like a newspaper. Remember them?

Steve Larner

Comment

• travisn
                          • Nov 2010

I came in here expecting a discussion related to this thread: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=46200

Comment

• Black_Moons
                            • Aug 2009

*buys george a 1 gallon bucket of thread locker*
                            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

• loose nut
                              • Sep 2006

If banning and locking threads doesn't work how about a good old fashion Linchin'.
                              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X