PDA

View Full Version : Video, comments...

RussZHC
02-03-2011, 12:38 AM
Lousy TV night, so I went on various machining tangents on Youtube.

Came across this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKr92aDbCmA&feature=related

To me this is a real home shop (guessing its pretty cold, there are a few others where he is dressed even warmer). "Suspect" older eastern European lathe. I want one!

Question if someone would be so kind: it appears as if controls are duplicated on the apron, as far as I know, not something that all lathes have but I am wondering more about what I would describe as the "rapid" travel/transversing...it almost sounds like stepper drives but it really strikes me that this is not the case (scenario, not that it could not be possible...)...hazy but seem to recall someone here mentioning a sort of "stick shift" control and very early in the video that appears to be what this lathe has...:cool:

lynnl
02-03-2011, 01:05 AM
I don't know about the rapid traversing, but in the first operation (drilling) somehow or other the drill was being advanced under power.

I assume he somehow locked the tailstock up to the carriage, and then let the carriage pull tailstock and drill along. ...but I couldn't see how that was accomplished, or when he made the hook up.

...or do some lathes have a power advance for the tailstock???

Jaakko Fagerlund
02-03-2011, 01:53 AM
The tailstock is locked to the carriage inthe first 10-15 seconds of the video. See that small flat part on the carriage? He moves it to engage in a similar piece in the tailstock to get it in "tow".

I don't know how the rapid traverse has been done, but the huge chinese lathe I'm using at work has a button in the end of the feed direction stick that when pressed, shoots the carriage or cross slide FAST in the feed direction. A little bit too fast if I'm asked, but then again the lathe has 2000 mm center to center distance.

tdmidget
02-03-2011, 08:51 AM
I think that kind of rapid and tailstock feed is fairly common in Europe. I ran a German machine that had the same rapid and the tailstock had a sort quick coupler deal that would engage the carriage and be pulled along. Very nice but yes you do have to be careful with rapid traverse.

PixMan
02-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Yup, lots of Euro lathes have rapid that runs even when the spindle isn't turning, and most also have ingenious systems for towing the tailstock and adding attachments to the rear of the cross slide. Notice the heft of the cross slide and the nice T-slots his machine has there.

My only criticisms are him putting his caliper down right in the "chip zone" and using a somewhat undersized profiling style insert bar where his heavy cut would chatter less if he used a larger lead-angle bar with a square or CNMG style insert. That's probably a "the tooling I have on hand" limitation more than wrong choice.

He seems well-trained and highly skilled because of how smoothly he works.

RussZHC
02-14-2011, 06:11 PM
One dreams of an "ultimate"...at times mine has varied between various Monarchs, DS&G and some of the Smart Brown models...I think this is now at the top of the list...posted here since the "rapids" are clearly part of the deal and relate to the video I asked about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Monarch-13-EE-Tool-Room-Lathe-/200576116572?pt=BI_Lathes&hash=item2eb344a75c

Rapids on X and Z, 2 spd hydraulic tailstock...just what every home shop needs:D

rohart
02-14-2011, 06:52 PM
I think a tailstock hook-up might be in my project list now. Depends if the tailstock seems solid enough on the ways with the lock down just out.

No criticism intended, Pixman, but I've never liked the use of the word 'training' where education is more appropriate. I know 'training' is the accepted word, especially in legal circles, but that guy might never have been trained. Since his expertise is so advanced, as demonstrated by the smoothness of his work, most of his skills are self taught. A bit, possibly a lot, of 'do it this way, not that way, because of such and such' of course, but once the principles have been explained to a natural, the natural can take it from there. And you need to be a natural to get to that level.

Has anyone identified the lathe, yet ?

gwilson
02-14-2011, 07:03 PM
My Romanian Promaster at work had a coupling you could hook to the lathe for powering the tailstock during drilling,using the carriage power feed. It also had a motor on the carriage for rapid X and Y transverse. This was a pretty hefty 19" swing lathe. A real dog in many ways,though.

JCHannum
02-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Here is another video of him moving into his shop. It is a tad tight compared to some of ours. In another video, he said he was in Latvia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6qy5vu8tpI&feature=related

Black Forest
02-15-2011, 03:21 AM
The lathe in this video looks like an older version of my new lathe. I don't have it in my shop yet but when I do I will let you know about the rapids.

It has the same controls as my lathe. I am waiting for the manual to arrive.

The lathe is a Stanko 1K62. Of course mine is prettier!
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/stankolathe2.jpg

Elninio
02-15-2011, 04:21 AM
Saw a lathe on a german site once that had hydrolic power feeds on both axes, and instead of a compound slide, it had a large hydrolyc rotary table thing that looked like a shaper head, it wasn't NC controlled, and probably 11-12" swing.

John Stevenson
02-15-2011, 04:53 AM
Very common on the East European machines, built like brick out houses.
Tim Leech's TOS had a power apron as it was a later machine to mine and when he scrapped it out because of bed wear I bought the headstock, gearbox, screwcutting box and apron as spares for mine but never got round to fitting the apron as I don't use it that much.

Warren
02-15-2011, 07:45 AM
I looked at a bunch of this kids videos, it appears he works in a factory or large machine shop, as he has a couple of vids of him using a different lathe in what is clearly an industrial building. He looks to be well schooled in using what tools he has available to get things done. Impressive young man no doubt.

I do like his lathe.

Black Forest
02-15-2011, 11:40 AM
I looked at a couple of his other video's. The lever in the red circle is the feed lever. It works in a cross. If you push it left partway it feeds according to the feed screw setting. If you push it further it rapids in the same direction. Left and right is feeding parallel to the spindle axis. Forward and back towards the operator is the cross feed.
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/stanko_feed_lever.jpg

Black Forest
02-15-2011, 11:48 AM
What is also interesting to me is the dial in the blue circle. I think that shows the location of the carriage as it travels longitudinally along the ways. In one video I saw him set the scale and it showed it turning while he was feeding.
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/stanko_feed_lever-1.jpg

John Stevenson
02-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Same as on the TOS but in different places.
Most of these East European makers used the same designs that were done to a standard.

If you look in a Russian machine tool design book they list what all the numbers mean as regards type of machine, size, horsepower etc
these designs were shared all over the communist area, remember they were not in competition with other makers.

When they shipped a machine it shipped with all extras, no buy the base model and pay extra for this , extra for that.

Values were worked out in tonnage not machines shipped or sold so the best way to get production up was cast the damn thing heavier.
Not a bad isea where rigidity matters.

Black Forest
02-15-2011, 01:27 PM
The rapids are activated by a button on top of the lever with the red circle. Not as I thought by pushing the lever further.

sasquatch
02-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Thanks for posting this, very interesting and informative!!

RussZHC
02-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Thanks Black Forrest! And I think it must have been your discussion in the travel dial thread that was in my mind...

The young man in the videos (he has a fair bunch, I think the current one is about 2 weeks old?) gave the partial ID of his lathe in one of the titles but there are so many different "names" from those days behind the Iron Curtain I did not want to try and track it down. Oddly in Canada it maybe possible to find one, lots of connections here to that part of the world from that time.

I found his videos interesting as I have empathy(?) partially as my ancestors left that area of the world prior to Communism, partially as he looks to be, as I claim, a born scrounger (his video of the bulldozer looks more tank based...)

Black Forest
02-16-2011, 03:08 PM
I sent the gentleman a message over youtube. He responded almost immediately. Seems like a good fellow. The lathe is a 1K62 Stanko. I enjoyed the video he has of him moving it into his "shop".

He sent me his email address and told me if I have any questions to please ask him.

The rapids are powered by the main motor it seems. The electric motor runs all the time and the spindle is driven with a clutch and reversed with gears. Also it seems the motor can be shut off but the rapids can be used and the switch for the rapids turns on the motor only for the rapids. I watched him do it in one of the videos. But I am not 100% percent sure. The manual doesn't show a dedicated electric motor for the rapids that I could find.

After this Saturday I will know more. Film at eleven!

I can not get anything correct on this lathe. There is a separate electric motor housed in the tailstock end under the bed in the support. It drives the rapids. I ain't saying another word until mine is sitting on my property! I am getting everything wrong.

Black Forest
02-17-2011, 01:06 PM
The fella in the video's uses a lathe chuck to hold a tap in one of his video's. Do any of you all do the same? Seems like not a bad idea.

Thomas Staubo
02-17-2011, 04:18 PM
I find his videos quite interesting, as I can see how simple machine operations are carried out in real life.
I wish more people would put a camera - most digicams now has fairly good video recording - up on a tripod or other non moving object, and film some operations you carry out with your machines.

Most would think: "that boring operation I'm doing on my bridgie now is just plain "boring" and everything is so simple - a monkey could do it"

Think again, I find it very interesting as I haven't got a milling machine, and have never touched a boring head in my life.

I think it's very useful for self-learning-newbie-types, like me, to not only read about the theory and watch pretty pictures, but see "in the flesh" how it's done, perhaps not by pros, but like the guy from Latvia that is confident and seem to know what he's doing.

It doesn't have to be a narrated professional movie, but just show different things you do on your lathe, milling machine, shaper etc. (anyone tried to attach a video camera to the ram of the shaper, watching it cutting? :D).

Forgot to add; I would love to have room for a lathe like that Stanko; sturdy as hell but quick in action.

Black Forest
02-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Posted in the wrong place. Sorry.

wierdscience
02-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Nice lathe BF!

Yours has the same tailstock lock up as the one in the VID.

If I'm seeing right the white knob on the feed lever has a push button in it.Mash it for rapids.

Black Forest
07-25-2011, 02:49 PM
In this thread about this fella's video's we talked about how competent and confident he is. Well this guy is the most competent fella I have ever met at his age. We corresponded via E-mail and he asked if he could come for a visit. I said yes and if he wanted he could work for me while he is here. So he drove 2225 kilometers with four other people all his relatives to get here.

He is wearing me out. A real worker. He can do most anything in the shop and is really good with the machine tools.

He wants to stay until the end of September. After he was here a few days I was quite impressed with his skills and his work ethic so I offered him a job until the end of September. I asked him what he would like to get in paid per week. He told me and I said I wouldn't pay him that a week. He asked what I would pay him a week and I told him double what he asked for! He was quite shocked and grateful. He said he hoped to make enough money while he is here to buy a jig boring machine. I am sure he will make enough money.

I will go broke feeding him though.

I posted some of this in another thread. I was searching for something and this thread came up in the results so I posted it here also. I hope you all don't mind.

PixMan
07-25-2011, 03:16 PM
You've got yourself the dream employee (skill-wise) for the summer. Whoever trained him was lucky, and it must have been akin to Les Paul finding John Mayer to teach guitar. So smooth and deliberate in his actions on the lathe, he must be every bit as good with other machines and tasks.

What languages does he speak and what is the common one you use? If English is it, he should join this forum and reap the praise he gets himself. ;)

Evan
07-25-2011, 05:15 PM
The fella in the video's uses a lathe chuck to hold a tap in one of his video's. Do any of you all do the same? Seems like not a bad idea.

Sure, I do it frequently. I have a bronze pad about 3" diameter that is mounted on a taper that fits in the tailstock to keep work straight while starting the tap. It appears to be a SB factory accessory. It is especially useful when I need to tap holes in parts that are long enough to rest against a block of wood on the ways. That prevents the part from spinning and the carriage can be brought up to the part to help stabilize it while the pad holds it square to the tap.

Lew Hartswick
07-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Good grief, He is using "Vernier" calipers, not even a dial one. :-)
...lew...

Evan
07-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Plain old verniers is what all the guys at the local job shop use.

lazlo
07-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Good grief, He is using "Vernier" calipers, not even a dial one. :-)

He's Russian -- they're vernier calipers made from 1/4" plate. With sharp edges :p

Looks like you scored BF. Food is cheap, good help isn't ;)

saltmine
07-25-2011, 09:05 PM
That even layer of dust looks familiar.