PDA

View Full Version : Working with aluminum.

bhandel
12-29-2003, 12:03 AM
I wanted to ask the experts!

I am currently working on a prototype paintball gun. Paintball guns are made out of Aluminum. I know nothing more than that. I do have have an exact model made out of steel. How hard would it be to copy in aluminum? The Exact model is a 12 gauge Shotgun. Keep in mind, this weapon will NOT have a firing pin nor a bolt to house a shell. Is there anyone who could assist me or lead me in the right direction?
Thank

The Mad Mexican
12-29-2003, 12:40 AM
Aluminum is easyer to work than steel. Just turn up the surface speed and get after it.

El Guapo

Michael Az
12-29-2003, 01:56 AM
When you buy the aluninum, be sure it is machinable, some of it isn't. 6061 would be good to use and it is sold on ebay. Use wd 40 when cutting.
Michael

Tuckerfan
12-29-2003, 12:43 PM
Make sure you've got a sharp tool to cut the aluminum with. If you're going to do any grinding, use some kind of lubricant on the belt, be it cutting oil or wax. Aluminum loads up a belt fast. It is, however, a lot of fun to work with, because it can be very easy to machine.

Thrud
12-30-2003, 02:22 AM
Doc Nickel is the Paint Gun Guru - the issue of him helping you or not would depend on how much you pay the man - he has already designed a double barreled autococker that is spiffy to the nines. He is in the business of custom paint guns - he is the one to ask - nicely.