PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Disassembly question.

Boucher
02-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Started to build a tool block similar to one Sir John posted recently. The lathe is a Nardini 12 X 30

I took the compound off and dropped one of the mounting screws down into the cross slide. I have tried to fish the screw back in place. No Joy. Everything that I try to remove has screws that are extremely tight. Any suggestions for how to remove the cross slide to reposition the screw? How does the gib come out or does it have to come out to remove the cross slide? I can post an exploded view of these parts if that would help. Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated.

form_change
02-03-2011, 03:38 PM
As a general guideline to remove a cross slide (lathes are built differently so is not necessarily applicable to all), you must slacken off the gib but it also helps to undo/ decouple the cross slide nut from the slide.
The gib will probably fall out once the cross slide has been taken off it's dovetails.The the opportunity to clean out any accumulated swarf and crud and re-lubricate things in there (including the screw)

Michael

aboard_epsilon
02-03-2011, 03:41 PM
I've had my saddle off a couple of times on my smart and brown ..found thats the only way i could get at the nuts on the cross slide ..i did try it your way ..but failed ..its just too hard to do it that way ..and had to take the saddle to be able to do it comfortably and correctly.

all the best.markj

RichardG
02-03-2011, 05:31 PM
If you are just trying to get the screw out get a magnet off one of thouse tooth brush heads that screw on they are about an 1/8 of an inch thick and a 1/4 inch wide and 1/2 inch long I have used them taped to a piece of wire to fish stuff in and out of a machine. I have one on my 15 inch lathe that holds the chuck handle in the up right position very power full ( watch your finger tips when you put them on metal they will pinch hard)
Richard

ckalley
02-03-2011, 05:36 PM
I have a 12x30 Nardini lathe also. To remove the cross slide from the carriage, you need to remove the gib from the front by unscrewing the adjuster. Then you keep on cranking the cross slide toward the rear until the screw disengages from the nut. You may have to take the rear splash gaurd off to get enough room

Craig

Boucher
02-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Well I got lucky. After lunch break I tried the magnet again and managed to get the threaded end up and back in place. I will probably continue to make dumb mistakes but I will remember where the hole in the casting is and not remove the compound with the screw setting over that hole again. I did learn a few things in the process. All is well that ends well.

I will post some pictures of the new block when I get it made. This one is going to be Aluminum. I will try it and if it doesn't work I will make one from steel.

Thanks for the help!