• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ricracer16
    • Feb 2009

Need help choosing a rotary table size

Hey Guys,

I'm in need of a rotary table for my HF minimill.
    The table dimensions: 15-7/8" x 3-11/16"

I tried a really small 4" rotary table but it was too small. And i'm afraid that a 6" maybe to big. Not sure.

Any and all advise is greatly appreciated.
  • Rif
    • Aug 2006

Hello,

While a 4-inch rotary table is pretty small, I have a 6-inch model and it would probably be way too big. There is a big size (and weight) difference between the two.

Sherline uses a 4-inch table and your table has similar dimensions.

Why is a 4-inch table too small?

Regards,

Brian
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Comment

• JCHannum
      • Nov 2001

If you already have an RT, why not make a larger table for it.
      Jim H.

Comment

You can buy 4", 6" and 8" rotary tables on Ebay real cheap. I bought an 8" for $75 it is almost too small but I manage to make it work. I need to have room for the clamps a 4" part in the center only gives me 2" all the way around for clamps. I always have to make special clamps for each job to make it work. I have been watching Ebay for a cheap 10" rotary table.
        Last edited by Guest; 02-03-2011, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• Toolguy
          • Jan 2010

Rotary Table

You could just make a 6" or larger round plate out of 1/2" aluminum and bolt it to the top of the 4" rotary table, then mount the project to that. A 6" rotary table might be getting too big for your mill. Might check out www.littlemachineshop.com and see what they have.
          Kansas City area

Comment

• ricracer16
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Rif
            Hello,

While a 4-inch rotary table is pretty small, I have a 6-inch model and it would probably be way too big. There is a big size (and weight) difference between the two.

Sherline uses a 4-inch table and your table has similar dimensions.

Why is a 4-inch table too small?

Regards,

Brian
            Sorry it was a 3" Here is the information. It was impossible to work. Those clamps don't work at all. I couldn't get the thing to hold the aluminum block that I was trying to work.

Description of Central Machinery 98077

This 3" diameter table rotates a full 360° and can be used in the horizontal or vertical position. Includes two hold-down clamps.

Maybe a 4" would work?

Cast iron body and table
            Cast aluminum hand crank
            Knurled brass table-locking thumbscrew
            Table dimensions: 2-15/16" diameter x 1/2" H
            Overall dimensions: 5-1/2" L x 4-1/2" W x 1-5/8" H

Comment

• D_Harris
              • May 2010

Deciding what you need before you use it is the most difficult part of this hobby.

As for a rotary table I went through the same thing for a while and ended up getting the smallest 6" rotary table with a good reputation I could get for my HF mini mill/drill.

I narrowed it down between the Phase II and the Vertex, and went with the Vertex.

(I just haven't tried to use it yet).

Darren Harris
              Staten Island, New York
              Last edited by D_Harris; 02-03-2011, 02:32 PM.

Comment

• RTPBurnsville
                • Sep 2005

A 4 inch Grizzly table was to small for my mini-mill. At least it was for the things I attempted to make at the time. If a 6 inch is anything like my 8 inch I would guess that it would be to big for the mini-mill.

Comment

• D_Harris
                  • May 2010

I know that there is a big difference between six and eight inches rotary tables.

I've always wondered why no one came out with a 5" model. (There would seem to be a market).

Darren Harris
                  Staten Island, New York

Comment

• SGW
                    • Apr 2001

What JCHannum said: make a larger-diameter plate and attach it to the top of the R/T. Consider it sacrificial and drill/tap holes in it for hold-downs as you need them. Or try to anticipate and drill/tap a series of strategically arranged holes ahead of time. 1/2" thick aluminum plate might be a good choice.
                    ----------
                    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

• JoeLee
                      • Aug 2009

I don't think there is anything between a 4" and a 5" table. The sizes don't run like shoes. I have an 8" and have a 8" chuck mounted to most of the time and it works out quite well for me. Bigger would be nice but you also have to take into consideration the weight. Next you'll need a crane or lift table to take the thing on an off the mill.

JL...............

Comment

Working...
                      X