PDA

View Full Version : Oh what to do, rotary table

quadrod
02-05-2011, 02:50 PM
I am ready to bite the bullet on a rotary table, but witch on to get. The enco flier has a 8" table with tail stock and dividing plates for 395.00. I call and this is an enco set not phaseII. Shars has an 8" table with three jaw chuck and 8" face plate for 429.00.
http://www.shars.com/products/view/8011/8quot_HV_Rotary_Table_with_6quot_3_jaw_Chuck
Any advice from the esteemed board members here. Also i can get the phaseII h/v table and tail stock and plates separately from enco for 479.85.

Dr Stan
02-05-2011, 03:01 PM
Personally I'd go with the Phase II, but it is your $. You may also want to do a national search on Craig's List to see what is available on the used market. I bought a very nice used once Phase II for about half price off CL.

Pherdie
02-05-2011, 03:19 PM
I have the Phase II, 8", with dividing apparatus and tail stock. I have been very happy with my unit. I later found out that Enco sold a Phase II chuck kit expressly for the Phase II 8" table. The kit included a three jaw chuck, mounting plate, removable chuck to table alignment fixture and mounting hardware. It makes for a dandy set up.

One more thing, after a couple of years I broke one of the sector arms used with the dividing plates. The folks at Phase II in New Jersey were great in getting me a replacement ASAP at a very fair price, something to think about...

Good luck with your purchase.

Fred

jungle_geo
02-05-2011, 03:33 PM
About a year ago or so, I also debated getting the Enco model or the Phase II model and I noticed that the Enco model had the exact same (at that time) specifications as the Phase II and was about 100$ cheaper. So I took a chance and ordered the Enco model figuring if it was poor quality I'd send it back. It showed up in tree boxes (rotary table, tail stock, and dividing plates) all marked Phase II. It seemed at that time that the Enco house model was actually Phase II but 100$ cheaper than if you specifically ordered a Phase II. Marketing scheme I guess, but I was happy. BTW it was all shipped from the parent company MSC which was selling the Phase II for about 200$ more than Enco...go figure.

spope14
02-05-2011, 05:46 PM
I have a 20 year old phase II, love it. I have many CNC's though, but it STILL finds a place in my shop at least one to two times a year. Buy a good sized one, bigger than you think you will use, and meeting but not exceeding the size of your machine. I had four little Palmgrens, 6 inch type, they are all gone as they were flimsy.

gary350
02-05-2011, 05:59 PM
I bought an 8" rotary table on ebay for $75 about 10 years ago. I have one with X and Y axis I would trade even for one that does not have X an Y axis.

I have one like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eron-8-rotary-table-X-and-Y-axis-N-O-S-/130475448619?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item1e60f1592b

KiddZimaHater
02-05-2011, 09:06 PM
I searched, and pondered for about a year before buying my rotary table with dividing plates and tailstock from GRIZZLY. I also bought a chuck for it, and made an adapter plate to mount it.
The only reason I went with GRIZZLY, was because they have given me good customer support in the past, so I'm partial to them.
I love my rotary. It works great.
In my opinion, Enco, Phase II, Grizzly,etc. are all pretty much the same animal.

HAP
02-05-2011, 09:14 PM
I would offer that you may want to consider a Super Spacer. Eventually you will find yourself wishing you had a chuck mounted to the RT. The super spacer gives you both, table and compatible chuck.
Just a thought.
HAP

Dr Stan
02-05-2011, 09:18 PM
There's a Palmgren 8" horz/vert on Ebay for $199 you may want to look at. No connection to the seller.

Amigo
02-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Harbor Freight sells an eight & six inch Horz./Vert. rotary table with indexing plates for about $200 + tax & shipping (8").

They are made in India and are not worth fooling with.

If anybody is not convinced, before throwing away good money, please ask & I'll supply extensive details.

RTPBurnsville
02-07-2011, 08:21 AM
I bought a Grizzly Yuasa style table about 6 months ago and have been very satisfied. I converted it and currently have it being used as a 4th axis on my CNC mill. However, the price has gone up a bit from when I purchased.....

http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Horizontal-Vertical-Rotary-Table-Yuasa-Type/G9298

RobbieKnobbie
02-07-2011, 09:17 AM
I bought a Grizzly Yuasa style table about 6 months ago and have been very satisfied. I converted it and currently have it being used as a 4th axis on my CNC mill. However, the price has gone up a bit from when I purchased.....

http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Horizontal-Vertical-Rotary-Table-Yuasa-Type/G9298

I have that same RT (minus the electronicals) and I'm very happy with it.

Corm
02-07-2011, 11:56 AM
I have an 8 inch rotab that I bought from HF. No complaints about it, works fine. However, everytime I use it, I wish I had bought a bigger one. That 8 inch table gets small real fast when you start trying to figure out how to clamp stuff to it. So, based on my experience, my advice would be to be sure that an 8 inch table will be big enough.