PDA

View Full Version : ID this oddball indicator?

Doc Nickel
02-06-2011, 01:08 AM
I have the chance to buy some used measuring equipment (mics and whatnot) and in with them is this odd indicator:

http://docsmachine.com/machineshop/curiousindicator.jpg

Unfortunately, the other photos were badly out of focus, so I jave just the one angle.

The base plate is stamped steel, and slightly curved. The indicator slides freely on two pins/rails, seen behind the dial. The body can slide down into the plate as shown. It is not spring-loaded (the body on the rails) and there appears to be no provision for locking it to the rails at any point.

The point of the indicator is very short, only sticking out of the body by less than a quarter-inch. It has a wide, slightly conical tip.

The rod pointing to the front is loosely attached to the round boss, via a pin. It can swing somewhat (up and down) and swivel only slightly. It's threaded on the end.

It comes in a factory, fitted case with extra points. There is no documentation. .0005" resolution.

What's it for?
Doc.

knedvecki
02-06-2011, 01:56 AM
Dial bore gage

doctor demo
02-06-2011, 02:09 AM
Dial bore gage

X2
Kind of a pain to use though.

Steve

Doc Nickel
02-06-2011, 02:13 AM
Dial bore gage

-Wait, what? How is it supposed to work?

Doc.

doctor demo
02-06-2011, 02:34 AM
-Wait, what? How is it supposed to work?

Doc.

That thin sheet metal piece that You have in Your hand goes against the cylinder wall and the indicator plunger against the opposite wall, then You slide the whole shebang down the bore with that handle and try to get a consistent reading.

Steve

Doc Nickel
02-06-2011, 03:06 AM
Really? How odd... So it's more for measuring taper or barrel than actual diameter? Or is the end-to-end on the indicator known, and with the known-extension tips, it functions somewhat like a bore mic?

Anywhoo, it's priced cheap enough I'll add it to my collection. :D

Doc.

Highpower
02-06-2011, 05:59 AM
Really? How odd... So it's more for measuring taper or barrel than actual diameter?

Doc.Correct. Some of the better "periscope" versions can be zeroed to give you a direct reading, but it's normally used with a micrometer if you want actual diameter. Just adjust the mic to give you the same reading on the bore gauge that you got in the cylinder, and get the diameter from the micrometer reading instead.

I've got one of the POS Central Tools periscope versions and it reads BACKWARDS. The larger the diameter, the SMALLER the reading on the dial! I had asked Central Tools to fix it at one point and was told that's the way they DESIGNED it to work! :eek:

http://www.centraltools.com/all_images/products/6467_6_1cat.jpg

Thread-Topic: Dial Bore Gauge
Thread-Index: AcpGAmX7damJzV1NSiGXgbcMamn+5AAubTxg
References: <E1Mufgz-0000Uf-UU@elasmtp-masked.xxxxxxxxxxxx> <FB46ED4A9F8B654FB8AF69F0A01D4BCA0232A673@ctserver1 .central.centraltools.com> <E1Muv3v-0003W7-Ou@elasmtp-spurfowl.xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "xxxx xxxx" <xxxx@xxxxxx>
X-ELNK-AV: 0
X-ELNK-Info: sbv=0; sbrc=.0; sbf=00; sbw=000;

Xxxxxxxx,

I am told by our engineer that the reverse reading was requested by the automotive industry many years ago. The 6467 was purposely designed to have the reverse reading. Unfortunately, there is no way to change it.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at any time. If I cannot help you I will have you speak with our engineer.

Best regards,

Donna Dansereau
Mgr - Quality Customer Care
Central Tools, Inc.
456 Wellington Avenue
Cranston, RI 02910
Telephone: 401-467-8211/800-866-5287
Fax: 401-461-5670
E-Mail: ddansereau@centraltools.com

luthor
02-06-2011, 06:09 AM
A few more shots from different angles would help determine its use.

J Tiers
02-06-2011, 09:28 AM
yes, for taper. There should be some more extension points running around for it.... usually it will have a box of them, or they are stored in the handle for some.

The slider plate is supposed to keep it on the diameter, so you don't get the off-diameter problem that occurs with telescope gages (if you aren't good at using them).

the indicator free-floats so that it measures between a fixed point on the case opposite the plunger and the movable plunger on top. No absolute measurement, it measures relative diameter.

JCHannum
02-06-2011, 10:03 AM
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/cen6460.html

They are overpriced new for what they are, a knockoff of the Starrett No. 452 Cylinder gages. Set with a mic, caliper or ring gage for a diameter, they will read +-, taper and roundness. I would be sceptical of the accuracy at 0.0005", but they are good enough for comparative measurements and determining condition of bore.

Spandau
02-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Doc, if you get this indicator and need them, I have the spare points for this exact model, as well as the instruction pamphlet.

Regards, Ken

Carld
02-06-2011, 10:31 AM
What you have is part of a set that is a bore gauge. It is used and set much like the bore gauge in Highpower's post. Here is a photo of my Ames bore gauge from the 1940's and was mostly used when boring out engine cylinders.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j276/yeathatshim/P2060002.jpg

Highpower
02-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Although very much out of focus, you can still make out the rack of extensions visible in the top of the OP's photo. (Upper right corner of the storage box.)

My only complaint with the sled style is they way they flop around like a fish unless you can keep the sled in steady contact with the cylinder wall. The pivot point on the handle being above where the indicator "floats" makes it a pain to use as doctor demo stated. :o

Carld
02-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Yes, they are a little sloppy to use and the bore gauge in your photo is better. I used my Ames indicator until my son bought me a bore indicator like the one in your photo. I don't need it very often but when I do it does a great job, better than the Ames.

Highpower
02-06-2011, 11:48 AM
I have to say your Ames tool appears to be a much better built unit than what is currently produced. Nice zero setting "standard" included as well. :)

Black_Moons
02-06-2011, 12:17 PM
I've got one of the POS Central Tools periscope versions and it reads BACKWARDS. The larger the diameter, the SMALLER the reading on the dial! I had asked Central Tools to fix it at one point and was told that's the way they DESIGNED it to work! :eek:

Maybe thats a 'How much do I have left to bore' dial :)

Setup to desired diamiter with micrometer, Zero, then it reads in how much you have left to remove.

Highpower
02-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Setup to desired diamiter with micrometer, Zero, then it reads in how much you have left to remove.That would work the same way if the dial read the "other" way round as well if all you are looking at is "distance to go", would it not? ;)

But if I have a reading of .4265 and want to bore out another .0035" - it's supposed to make more sense to shoot for the larger bore reading of .4230 :confused:

What's next? Yardsticks that start at 36" and work down to 0? :p :D

lynnl
02-06-2011, 02:06 PM
What's next? Yardsticks that start at 36" and work down to 0? :p :D

They all do that. You just have to walk around to the other side, to read them. :)

Highpower
02-06-2011, 06:34 PM
I thought that only works South of the equator. ;)