PDA

View Full Version : 6" Atlas broken tailstock clamp

aostling
02-08-2011, 11:05 AM
This cast lever fell off the tailstock. I was unaware of this until I found the lever sitting on the lathe bench. I have not used the tailstock clamp in months, and I have no idea how (or when) it failed. The question now is: how to fix it?

The internal threads on the lever are 1/4-20. The hole in the cylinder is unthreaded -- I assume this had a press-fitted stud, but that is nowhere to be found.

I don't have a parts list for the lathe. Any suggestions?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/aostling/brokenassembly.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/aostling/close-up.jpg

JCHannum
02-08-2011, 11:09 AM
It is a split cotter. The other half should still be in the TS casting. Remove the barrel and look in the clamp hole, you can probably fish the other part out and put it back together.

Weston Bye
02-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Yep, as Jim said. The two halves of the clamp are held together by a long bolt. Just push it back up and screw the handle back on. I have the same lathe and post pictures this evening if necessary.

aostling
02-08-2011, 11:28 AM
It is a split cotter. The other half should still be in the TS casting. Remove the barrel and look in the clamp hole, you can probably fish the other part out and put it back together.

Found it! The other half turns out to be a 1/4-20 bolt with a square head. It had come lose and fallen down out of sight, but was captive in the casting.

The split cotter may have been for an earlier version. Mine is the Mk 2.

I realize this post makes me look ridiculous, but no help for that now!

Al Messer
02-08-2011, 12:59 PM
I realize this post makes me look ridiculous, but no help for that now![/QUOTE]

HEY! Ease up on yerself---we all have felt that way before, and next time it happens, you'll know what to do. It happened to me several times when I had an Atlas 618!

Al

Machinist-Guide
02-08-2011, 04:16 PM
I have got into the habit of keeping mine locked when I'm not using the tail stock this keeps the screw from vibrating out.

Donnie