X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr Stan
    • Apr 2024

cogitating - parts washer filter

I'm considering adding a cartridge type fuel filter to my parts washer to hopefully extend the life of the solvent (diesel fuel). Has anyone else attempted this mod and if so what was the outcome?

Also does anyone know the "correct" direction of flow though these filters, or would it really matter? Is it from the center though the media and out though the slots near the outside or just the opposite?

I also wonder if this would create too much flow restriction for the pump. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Stan
  • Rex
    • Oct 2004

I'd suggest you use an oil filter instead, less restrictive and more than enough filtration.

I believe the flow is into the holes on the outside and out through the center hole. I base that on the fact the the rubber anti-drainback flap is typically on those outside holes in the cheap filters. I had one detach on an old Toyota once and it was pocking out through the center hole.

My solution for filtration was a layer of water below the solvent. The heavy bits sink below the solvent level and stay in the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex
      My solution for filtration was a layer of water below the solvent. The heavy bits sink below the solvent level and stay in the water.
      Hum, that's food for thought.

Comment

• Black_Moons
        • Aug 2009

Iv heard of that before.. as well as laying down a screen or similar, and suspending the pump a few inchs off the bottom. If your pump/drain is nice and gental (maybe add some baffolds beween drain and pump?) it should let most of the crap settle out.
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

• HSS
          • Feb 2008

Dr. Stan, think about surface area of the filter. Which has more area to become dirty, the inside surface or the outside surface of the filter media?

Comment

• GKman
            • Apr 2006

I use a bag made of t-shirt material with as much area as i can get on the drain. It plugs up pretty fast. I would recommend that to get the worst so it doesn't clog your filter quickly.

Comment

• vpt
              • Dec 2009

How about using a vehicle air filter? Allot of the round aftermarket ones have a metal screen before the filter to help with big stuff.
              Andy

Comment

Originally posted by HSS
                Dr. Stan, think about surface area of the filter. Which has more area to become dirty, the inside surface or the outside surface of the filter media?
                Typically cartridge filters will use a pleated design in the media so it would not make any real difference. However, I just found this web site that does a very good job of explaining oil filters, their history & their function. http://www.synlube.com/oilfilters.htm

Comment

• AussieChris
                  • Jul 2003

On my parts washer, the original foam rubber filter rotted away very quickly (I’m using kerosene). So I made a simple adapter (like a pipe nipple) so to attach a small car oil filter direct on to the pump. The washer fluid goes in through the small holes, then exits the filter from the centre hole and goes into the pump.

Works great. No reduction in flow and it’s been on there for a couple of years now.

Chris
                  Brisbane Australia.

Comment

• gzig5
                    • May 2005

Originally posted by Dr Stan
                    Typically cartridge filters will use a pleated design in the media so it would not make any real difference. However, I just found this web site that does a very good job of explaining oil filters, their history & their function. http://www.synlube.com/oilfilters.htm
                    I've done some servo controls work at the FRAM plant in Ohio on the machine that creates the pleated filter that goes inside the oil filter. It's a neat little process making an oil filter. At the time I was there the material that they were using definitely had fiberglass in it. You'd get scratchy if you handled it without gloves.
                    You could cut up a cheap oil filter or better yet a big diesel fuel filter to get the element out of it and do what you want with it.

Comment

Originally posted by AussieChris
                      On my parts washer, the original foam rubber filter rotted away very quickly (I’m using kerosene). So I made a simple adapter (like a pipe nipple) so to attach a small car oil filter direct on to the pump. The washer fluid goes in through the small holes, then exits the filter from the centre hole and goes into the pump.

Works great. No reduction in flow and it’s been on there for a couple of years now.

Chris
                      Brisbane Australia.
                      I like this. Simple is good.

Comment

• Thruthefence
                        • Dec 2008

The guy who serviced my shop's parts cleaner dropped of this filter rig for us to try out; it looked like a big canvas bag, with a hose on the end, full of some filter media. The idea was to hook the outlet nozzle of your parts cleaner to the bag, which remained in the confines of the parts washer, and leave it on all night, couple of times a week. The clean solvent sorta weeped out the canvas material as it went through the process. It actually worked, but it was a pain, taking up space in the 'tub'. Took hours to drain after use. The idea was to replace the bag every few months for recycling. It actually felt like a sandbag. I guess the guy got fired or something, because he never came back, & the new guy wasn't interested in the old 'filter'. It finally popped it's seams, and squirted solvent all over the wall, one weekend. Into the dumpster it went.

Comment

• HSS
                          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Dr Stan
                          Yes, they use pleated media, and if it were flat like an automotive air filter the surface area would be the same on either side. However place the media in a cylinder and now the outside surface is larger than the inside surface. That's why the oil goes from the outside to the inside of the filter. I use an oil filter in my work that has a closely compacted media for filtration and the oil enters from the outside and exits to the inside. I have also seen the filter bags that thruthefence mentioned and they work quite well. Just don't leave them unattended.

Patrick

Comment

• wierdscience
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by AussieChris

Chris
                            Brisbane Australia.
                            Excellent idea!
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• ken
                              • Jul 2003

I have used tanks with about 4 filter systems on them. 1. Automotive oil filter works well easey to get all metal solvents dont attack the filter system filters are easy to change. 2.water system filters with the woven filters these work well and you and see the filter witch is nice. easy to get but some solvents may attack the filter housings and can make the filter change hard. 3. the bag systems that go in the tank. the systems we had where a pain we had both tank systems and tank on drum systems with the tank system they are ok with the tank and drum systems they are a big pain they take up to much room in the tank 4. this was the best filter Frantz TP filters these filters worked the best. 5. water in the tank I dont like. Only use if you have a stainless steel tank things grow in the water and stink and the things that grow can attack a steel tank witch can lead to a leaking tank.Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X