• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wierdscience
    • Jan 2003

Anodizing definitions?

What constitutes a type III Anodize?

Is it the thickness of the Anodize layer or the process used to achieve it or both?

I think I accidentally did one part this AM.The acid bath was around 28*f this morning and I had intended to run the part at 12vdc and 10 amps for 65minutes.Well I got busy and forgot it was running and the time function ended up being 1hr 10minutes-Ooops!

All went well anyway,but the part started out as measuring 3.001" OD and finished up at 3.010" or.0045" thickness in the Anodize layer.

So did I or didn't I?
    I just need one more tool,just one!
  • Black_Moons
    • Aug 2009

0.0045" thick nice! try and scratch it now
    Or try and use it to scratch glass..
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

• wierdscience
      • Jan 2003

Scratched glass already,ya,it's fun

Color looks a bit different,here's the sample part-

I've read that Black and Dark Green are about the the only colors that work on type III,any truth to that?

Comment

• Ausserdog
        • Dec 2003

Sorry, no first hand experience here. But from what I've read it takes the low temp you had plus much higher voltage and current density to achieve Type III.

My suspicion is you ended up with a thick Type II rather than a true Type III.
        Tom

Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it!

Comment

• Westline
          • Feb 2011

Little new to anodizing, what dies do you use.....all the home forums say clothing die but there must be better options
          If you are using violence and it does not work, You are not using enough or it is upside down.
          You can always just EDM it...

Comment

• wierdscience
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Westline
            Little new to anodizing, what dies do you use.....all the home forums say clothing die but there must be better options
            This is one place that sells the stuff-

Clothing Dye if it's color fast will work sort of,some colors work better than others.Black is the most difficult to get right,easiest is to buy the Anodizing Dye for that.

Comment

• RWO
              • Mar 2010

Type III is inherently dark colored, so black is just about the only color possible.

RWO

Comment

Working...
              X