PDA

View Full Version : Duplex outlet dimensioned

lakeside53
02-11-2011, 08:11 PM
I need to make some cutouts and bolting holes for a lowly duplex 120 volt outlets Sure, I can measure a few faceplates and guess, but does anyone know where to get a fully dimensioned drawing?

I'll be using a CNC mill to cut out a series of receptacle holes so I can mount what want into various Electrical boxes - not much point in using faceplates, and this will look nicer. Plus I get to play with my mill:cool:

DFMiller
02-11-2011, 08:21 PM
If I recall Mach3 wizards have this already done for you. If you have the wizards. I think its the paid Newfangled ones have it.
Dave

Tinkerer
02-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Normal work box is 4"x2-1/8" either 1-7/8" or 2-1/8" deep. Can't remember the tap length but would guess about 1/4" or so.

lakeside53
02-11-2011, 08:41 PM
If I recall Mach3 wizards have this already done for you. If you have the wizards. I think its the paid Newfangled ones have it.
Dave

Not running mach 3... but I can probably use the G code, but... I was going to use my conversational mode and just construct what I wanted on the fly, then save them as library for placement.

Paul Alciatore
02-11-2011, 08:42 PM
I see you are in the US and am assuming that you mean US standard duplex outlets.

You really don't need any official drawings as the dimensions are all in English units (inches) and are totally based on nominal fractional sizes.

Each D shaped hole has a 1 5/16" basic diameter with 1 1/8" between the two straight sides. They are spaced 1 1/2" apart. The mounting hole is centered between them and is for a #8 countersunk, flathead screw.

The outside rectangle is usually about 2 3/4" x 4 1/2" but can vary. Going smaller than that size may leave some wall openings exposed, but many styles of cover plates are larger. Steel plates, intended for metal equipment in a commercial/industrial environment often are smaller as such equipment often has tighter tolerances on the cut out size.

These numbers are for the cover plate and are based on slightly smaller dimensions of the actual duplex outlets. The center to center spacing, of course, is a constant. Tolerances and allowances are generous so you really can not go wrong.

lakeside53
02-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Thanks.. I was just being lazy... and that about what I measured, but I see some varience in devices. The radius of the sides looks about like 0.69 or so. I need to punch that into cad to verify.

The box opening isn't important- these will mount to a surface panel. I want to mount several duplexes each with their own breaker, and a few L6-14 etc...

IdahoJim
02-11-2011, 09:43 PM
I need to make some cutouts and bolting holes for a lowly duplex 120 volt outlets Sure, I can measure a few faceplates and guess, but does anyone know where to get a fully dimensioned drawing?

I'll be using a CNC mill to cut out a series of receptacle holes so I can mount what want into various Electrical boxes - not much point in using faceplates, and this will look nicer. Plus I get to play with my mill:cool:
How about this:http://www.boltproducts.com/heyco/iec-duplex-outlet-back-push-in.html

lakeside53
02-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Yes.. better than nothing! Doesn't quite line up with some I've measured.. but...

Surely there is a NEMA spec somewere? I've been searching for an an hour, and not seeing it. I'd like to get the specs for a lot of the standard outlets.

lakeside53
02-11-2011, 10:45 PM
I think I'm onto it... www.nema.org. Have to register..

http://www.nema.org/download.cfm?isRedirect=false&docTypeId=0&docId=34629&filename=/dimensional characteristics.pdf

Hmmm.. Paul : center to center is 1.531, and width (circle diameter) is 1.343... That explains why I couldn't quite get things lined up with rough fractional measurements!