PDA

View Full Version : OT CD Recovery Help

Tinkerer
02-12-2011, 12:47 PM
I need some help... I saved some HTML files on a CD yesterday. For some reason today I can not get at them at all. When I try and view the CD in explorer I get a none responding error and have to shut program down. Reader works on other disc. Anyone have a cheap or free utility that they have used to recover files from a CD?

Thanks

Pete F
02-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Can you try it in a different drive?

-Pete

Tinkerer
02-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Tried in another computer and all it did was make some noise and show nothing. I know it has data on it but for some reason it's not reading. So that's why I'm asking about a CD data recovery program.

banjoallen
02-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Try this.
http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Black_Moons
02-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Iv had lots of cd's suddenly die on me after storing them for a few years in a black CD binder. About 1/2 where unreadable (just did'nt even show up as a disk inserted)

I would try a diffrent drive as some drives are better at reading damaged CD's then others. that said, Don't use CD's as the only place to save things.
Infact, don't use ANYTHING as the only place to save things. if its critical, Save to hard drive, backup to external hard drive. Disconnect external hard drive when done.

fredf
02-12-2011, 10:35 PM
I need some help... I saved some HTML files on a CD yesterday. For some reason today I can not get at them at all. When I try and view the CD in explorer I get a none responding error and have to shut program down. Reader works on other disc. Anyone have a cheap or free utility that they have used to recover files from a CD?

Thanks

This wont help you with THIS CD, but try burning your CDs at a bit slower speed, some are a bit overrated, and a slower burn seems a bit more reliable

lazlo
02-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Unfortunately, if you use cheap CD's, the dye is marginal, and doesn't have a long shelf life.

Tinkerer
02-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Try this.
http://www.piriform.com/recuva
Thanks downloaded works but does not work on removable media like CD's.

Found one that would read CD's said free 10 meg demo... coarse that button was disabled and would not click thur. But the little purchase 10 meg of use for $14.95 would. Whole program cost would of been $39 coarse your 10 meg did not apply to cost. Most likely would of purchased it had the demo worked but when they lie to you from the get go how can you trust them in the end... so uninstalled. Still looking for something.

This wont help you with THIS CD, but try burning your CDs at a bit slower speed, some are a bit overrated, and a slower burn seems a bit more reliable

Not really up on tech... how do I control write speed?

banjoallen
02-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Here's another one-http://www.snapfiles.com/get/cdrecovery.html

Sorry about the Piraform one. Forgot it doesn't do Cd's. Allen

gmatov
02-14-2011, 12:54 AM
Tinker,

If you want, and they are not personal or incriminating, you can send the disc to me and I will try my recovery program on it.

Sounds like the disc wasn't finalized, closed, actually an incomplete burn, why, I don't know.

I'm about 100 or so miles away from you.

Cheers,

George

Oh!. No charge. Cost you half a buck to mail, me the same to mail back, no biggie.

Dunc
02-14-2011, 05:08 PM
www.isobuster.com

Likely the best known of many available (usual disclaimers here).

I have used an older version with great success although not recently.