PDA

View Full Version : Rigger Recommendation

Tomzhere
12-22-2003, 11:39 AM
I just purchased a 19 X 60 Mazak lathe in NC and need to have it moved to Houston Texas.

I can get it trucked here easily enough but then I have to unload it myself. I think prefer to have a rigger do this entire job including the unloading and moving into my shop.

Can anyone recommend a good rigger to handle this move for me.

jfsmith
12-22-2003, 01:29 PM
Find a company that moves pianos. They can rig a machine in the back of a truck and of course they can unload it. You just need to have a different BONDED company on both ends of your trip.

Jerry

JCHannum
12-22-2003, 02:53 PM
Find a company that moves machinery. Leave the piano movers out of it.
Houston is a large market, and there should be plenty in the area. Call a couple, get prices, and find someone you feel comfortable dealing with.
They are going to have to coordinate with the trucker for arrival to schedule unloading. You do not want to get stuck with demurrage charges, or pay the rigger to sit around waiting for the truck.

Forrest Addy
12-22-2003, 03:33 PM
Yeah, forget about piano movers. The biggest heaviest piano I ever moved weighed less than 1000 lbs.

That Mazak weighs (guessing) 9,000 lb. A real machinery mover will have the forklifts, toe jacks, and Cat rollers to move your machine right where it needs to go. They also know where and how to rig so the lead screws, electrical enclosures, and sheet metal don't get smashed up.

Do the mover a favor and give him a picture and specs of the machine so he can fetch what's needed. Manufacturer's installation instructions if available are also a real time saver.

Frequently larger machines are equipped with bolted-on handling hooks for lifting by crane. These are removed after installation and returned to the manufacturer for credit.

Look in the yellow pages under "Trucking" and "Moving, machinery" and similar topics. Contact a few local machine tool dealers and ask for a referral.

Prepare to spend maybe $1000 for rigger service plus a crane if needed.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 12-22-2003).]

Tomzhere
12-22-2003, 05:30 PM
I think it is more like 2500 lbs or so, it is a Mazak manual lathe located in NC (Norh Carolina)not one of the big NC or CNC monsters. I think I was not clear in my original post. I'm looking into riggers right now while I am in the shop making room for it.

New question. I want to put this lathe on the same wall right next to my 13 x 40 lathe. So how much room should I leave between the two?

Wish I had one of those hydraulic bed trailers like in the post from debequem (BTW, nice machine! Good luck with your basement trek!). I guess my Santa is not as well connected.

JCHannum
12-22-2003, 06:11 PM
Tom, it is probably closer to 5000# than 2500#. That is still a good sized machine. Use the Yellow Pages.
As far as location is concerned, it is best to locate the two machines so that they will not interfere with each other when long stock is being handled. This can be done either by staggering them, or setting each at an angle. Setting at an angle with tailstock toward the wall and headstock into the shop probably is best use of space.

happy02
12-22-2003, 06:18 PM
Hmmmmm it's gonna be pretty big, mebby more like 5500-6500lbs. I moved a heavy 16 La Blond once that weighed in at 6200lbs I think. Second the notion of contacting a real machinery mover. If the mover you choose dosn't have a wearehouse to deliver it to then you can find one that will accept delivery for a fee. You'll also have to threaten the freight company with their very life if they fail to notify you their arrival time so you can coordinate the arrival and delivery or put up witha very pissed off warehouse owner!! You might also ask a used machinery dealer there who he'd recomend. Good luck. Joe

Evan
12-22-2003, 06:21 PM
Whomever you get to do the work I recommend you get them to sign a contract specifying thier obligations to you including time of arrival to within a reasonable window. Make sure it says that any extra expense you incurr due to their breaching the contract is deducted from their agreed fee. If they aren't willing to sign a contract you don't want them doing the work anyway. Don't accept a fax of the contract, get an original with real signature of someone authorised to obligate the company. Ensure it is countersigned by a witness who was present at time of signing.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 12-22-2003).]

Tomzhere
12-22-2003, 06:26 PM
Wow!! Thats heavy. I guess I did under guesstimate the weight. I'm still getting all the particulars on the size and weight from the seller.

Looks like I will have to use a truck line delivered to local rigger who will then deliver to me.

My great deal is getting ate up with costs : (.

ibewgypsie
12-22-2003, 07:51 PM
I got a cincinatti 24" lathe, Heavy... about five to ten tons by our estimate.

Top heavy, it has a 4 speed gearbox up top and a large flat belt that drives the head.

I turned my large lathe over in the floor, took the end wall out in my shop into the yard. Christmas eve last year my ironworker buddy and I stood it back up and moved it to the back of the shop. After rebuilding the wall.

Get some good help. Don't move it by yourself for sure.

There is a local guy here in North georgia with a new 1 ton dodge w/diesel and trailer that moves everything from antique cars to machinery. If you need his number I can get it.

David

happy02
12-29-2003, 10:18 AM
I was wrong about the make of lathe, it was not a La Blond but it was a Heavy 16 Lodge and Shipley with a 5 ft. bed I think. This was several years ago and I only loaded and hauled the lathe a few miles, thank God, for the buyer. It was weighed and I don't know if the 6200lbs included the trailer wt. I can attest to the fact that the thing was verrrrry heavy. It was an old oilfield lathe with an L tapered spindle and the top speed was 400rpm. It was a fine machine and I wish I could have used it but it was just too big for my shop. Good Luck!

wierdscience
12-29-2003, 09:50 PM
Houston call up Harris machinery,ask them who they use.

docsteve66
12-31-2003, 10:32 PM
On installing the lathes side by side. Probably most efficient use of space says put them BOTH at an angle to the wall. Head stocks out, so you can get long stuff into spindle. Leave a nice space between them so you can bend over with out rubbing the other lathe. Even a temporary wall (rolling or slidable) to hang tools on and keep the dirt corralled may appeal to you.