PDA

View Full Version : OT: Dogs vs Cats

Evan
12-03-2003, 04:12 PM
DOG DIARY vs. CAT DIARY

EXCERPTS FROM A DOG'S DIARY

8:00 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!

8:15 am OH BOY! A TREE! MY FAVORITE!

9:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!

9:40 am - OH BOY! A WALK! MY FAVORITE!

10:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!

11:30 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!

12:00 noon - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!

1:00 PM - OH BOY! THE YARD! MY FAVORITE!

1:30 PM - ooooooo. bath. bummer.

4:00 PM - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!

5:00 PM - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!

5:30 PM - OH BOY! MOM! MY FAVORITE!

EXCERPTS FROM A CAT'S DIARY

DAY 752 - My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another houseplant.

DAY 761 - Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded, must try this at the top of the stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair... must try this on their bed.

DAY 765 - Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in an attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little cat I was... Hmmm. Not working according to plan.

DAY 768 - I am finally aware of how sadistic they are. For no good reason I was chosen for the water torture. This time however it included a burning foamy chemical called "shampoo." What sick minds could invent such a liquid? My only consolation is the piece of thumb still stuck between my teeth.

DAY 771 - There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise. More importantly I overheard that my confinement was due to MY power of "allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

DAY 775 - I think I have finally discovered one of their weaknesses, sleep deprivation. If I yell at them throughout the night it seems to make them stumble about like drunken sailors the next day. Their ability to think their sadistic thoughts also seems to be impaired. It is my new hope that if I can do this four or five nights in a row, they might inadvertently bring themselves some grievous harm by walking in front of a bus.

DAY 779 - I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit. The bird on the other hand has got to be an informant, and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room his safety is assured. But I can wait; it is only a matter of time....

jfsmith
12-03-2003, 05:17 PM
Sam the shop cat, has conquered this realm and now the person incharge.

Jerry, his feline higness' personal slave.

IOWOLF
12-03-2003, 06:04 PM
YUP, THATS MY CATS!

Evan
12-03-2003, 06:30 PM
Cat mafia about to get informant.

http://vts.bc.ca/img/catmafia.jpg

Cecil Walker
12-03-2003, 07:29 PM
Evan, your feline hoard looks like my feline hoard. Maybe one of mine is living a double life.....on second thought....no too lazey.

fixxit
12-03-2003, 10:51 PM
Living with a dog is like caring for a child.... with all the joys and responsibilities....

Living with a cat is like sharing a space with a room mate....

Paul Gauthier
12-03-2003, 10:56 PM
LOL

------------------
Paul G.

Thrud
12-04-2003, 03:22 AM
I am, apparantly a cat cushion. I awoke sunday to a cat snoozing across my neck - purring like crazy (the 8 pounder) with the 16 pounder keeping my legs hot (2 lbs of hair, 14 lbs of cat hair holder). That is not as bad as waking up to the 16 Lb. cat's butt in your face (thanks, kitty). But the times when it is really cold and the cat decides my head is going to freeze and she lays across the top of the pillow an forms a fur hat for me - purring like crazy - puts me right to sleep.

MikeH
12-04-2003, 12:18 PM
Dave,

Your sleeping conditions sound like mine. I woke up this morning with my wife sleeping snugled to me on my right, my 4 year old son sleeping snugled to me on my left side, my 13 pound tomcat laying across my knees, my 8 pound cat on my chest licking my chin, and my 12 pound cat wraped arround my feet. And, I couldn't move either of my arms because they were "asleep" from everybody laying on them! And to think I used to wonder why I always wake up so tired! :eek!

Mike

Jerry B
12-04-2003, 03:27 PM
Well let's see. We have Bubba, Thomas, Thomasina, Grenade, Star, Houston, (pronounced House-ton, she Came from a small town in Ohio by the same name) Terra Haute, (as in Terra Haute, Indiana, from which she came) Little Buddy, Little Sister and Little Briches, Midnight, Cali, Sy, Momma Cat, CC, OC, Mechanic (he crawled under a truck at my shop and helped me replace a clutch. I took him home as payment),Baby, Boots, Bullet, Ambernathy, Snowbell (fo.und in the street, in front of our house, eating a bug on the center line as traffic sped by) Abby Cat, Wolfstien, Saffron, Inky, Wiggy, et al.

We don't have any cat hair in our house. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//rolleyes.gif

Oh..as a bit of trivia: The question mark "?" was taken from the shape of a cats tail as the cat was facing away from the viewer and was investigating something. I'll let your imagination figure out what the dot at the bottom is. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Jerry B (edited 12-04-2003).]

RPease
12-04-2003, 03:50 PM
Jerry,

Unless I miscounted, that's 27 cats. Where do you put all of them?

I used to have 2, and when they weren't patroling the house or sleeping next to each other they were fighting like.......er.......Cats.

Are you breeding them for sale or target practice......(just kidding)......

Regards,

Rodg

BTW.......Evan........very funny post.

[This message has been edited by RPease (edited 12-04-2003).]

Jerry B
12-04-2003, 04:13 PM
RPease,
No we are just soft headed.... uh I mean soft hearted. We have rescued more cats and dogs here than we care to admit.

Actually we don't let them breed. Everybody has been to the vet for modifications. This bunch lives with us. ( most are in the basement) The MIL has built a small house behind her home, with heat and air, for her bunch. She has almost as many as we do.

[This message has been edited by Jerry B (edited 12-04-2003).]

BillH
12-04-2003, 06:19 PM
My last cat died in May. She was 19 years old, maybe 20.
We now like to think of my Uncles cat as ours too when he is here for the summer, or we are at his place during Winter break.
His cat is the black death to anything that moves outside. Theres no lizards to be found on the patio anymore at his house down in Florida, nor any rabbits.
http://home.comcast.net/~billh308/flopattack.jpg

His cat is something else, you can handle him as much as you want, he will not scratch you or bite you. He may wrestle you though where he pretends to bite you, wraps his front paws around your arm, then starts to dig in with his hind legs. He will stop if you dont put up a fight, then he just licks your hand. Funny cat.

[This message has been edited by BillH (edited 12-04-2003).]

Oso
12-04-2003, 07:30 PM
Heck, I like either cats or dogs.

Boiled or fried, doesn't matter. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

They like me too, I'm putting on weight again.

BillH
12-04-2003, 10:34 PM
What are you? Korean?
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Oso
12-05-2003, 01:14 AM
Naw, standard mediterranean mixed mutt. And we have 3 cats, one of which looks just like the one in the pic.

Just messin...unka Jesse can't have all the fun.

Actually I probably have eaten cat or dog, in Korea/Taiwan/China.

wierdscience
12-05-2003, 01:59 AM
Mom has a cat,nice little slightly evil cat,mom then gets really big black lab,lab likes cat just fine,cat does not share affection,at first-two weeks later I walk in and see 1 125# black lab,lying on the floor with 1 six pound cat hugging it with both paws and giving it a bath,traitors,traitors I tell'ya http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

New trick is coperation,cat knocks big shoe boxes,hat box,and one basket of laundry off mom's bed to make room for 125# black lab so it can then snuggle up with 125# black lab,only one problem,I come home see 125# black lab trying to hide behind the last remaining shoebox on bed,kinda like an elephant hiding behind a park bench,cat nowhere to be seen,devious http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Evan
12-05-2003, 03:32 AM
It's kinda funny watching an 8 pound Siamese cat cleaning the ears of a Karelian Bear Dog. That's the sort of dog we have, it can kill a bear and will, given the chance. Siamese is gone now, old age.

ibewgypsie
12-28-2003, 12:07 PM
My shop alarm is now close to 15 pounds. Still wide open all the time. I got bite marks all over, they tell me it is a social skills problem. He does not know he is hurting me, only that biting feels good to his gums. Letting him play with the neighbors pup has helped. I used to bite my kids back, that stopped them from biting people. Sounds mean but worked. I had teeth then thou. Ha.. Now they are in a cup.

Working on a harley in my home-shop. I kept getting out 1/2" wrenches. I'd turn around and it'd be gone. I would get another out of the tool box. Pretty soon I was out and could not find one. Sure enough "butch" had carried them off. I think I found most of them.

If I can only teach him how to run the lathe?

David

Thrud
12-28-2003, 09:21 PM
David
I would send you a piece of my sisters meatloaf (if I could break of a chunk, that is), but there is two problems with that:

1) The US government says if they can't identify it they won't let it through customs, and
2) My lawyer says I cannot be held morally or financially accountable for the dogs welfare or inevitable denture work under any circumstances whatsoever and any mental pain and anguish or trauma it may experience in licking said meatloaf.

That's the way it has to be bro http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 12-28-2003).]

SJorgensen
12-28-2003, 10:20 PM
In today's paper they said that my local Fred Meyer was recalling beef products because they got some of the beef from the one known case of Mad Cow desease. It seems that they were supposed to have stopped feeding cows the brains and organs of other cows way back in 1997. So now they have to change the age of the cow. Do you know what they do with the brains and organs now? They make cat food! (I learned this from C-Span Washington Journal 12/28/03 from a call-in)
So now it isn't even safe to eat cats anymore. What will be next? Do you wonder what your cat is thinking? It might be nothing; nothing at all.

Spence

ibewgypsie
12-28-2003, 11:26 PM
Spence, they make hot-dogs out of the remains.

David.

SJorgensen
12-29-2003, 03:06 AM
Excuse me while I clean my refridgerator.

Spence

Evan
12-29-2003, 04:40 AM
I am going to sic my karelian bear dog on any mad cows we spot in the neighbourhood. She will kill them and eat the brains.

SJorgensen
12-29-2003, 05:00 AM
Two cows meet up in the middle of a pasture. One cow says to the other "Man, did you hear about Molly? I hear she's just gone nuts with that Mad Cow desease. Thats the fifth cow this week! I'm really getting scared! How about you?

The second cow says "Hell no, I'm not scared a bit."
The first cow says "Why not?"

The second cow says "Because I'm a rabbit!"

Spence

Evan
12-29-2003, 03:18 PM
Some of the "information" that is coming out on this is ridiculous. Such as them saying on the news this morning that parts of the cow were sold in certain states. Just how do they know that? I've yet to see any serial numbers on packaged meat. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think meat is tracked by lot number to the end retailer.

JCHannum
12-29-2003, 03:26 PM
It was several worn out dairy cows from one herd. They became something like 10,000# of ground beef, and were distributed through several retailers.
Records were kept from the cow's ear tag.
The cow was originally from Canada. Some sort of plot to destroy the American beef market probably.

SJorgensen
12-29-2003, 04:35 PM
The part I don't like is the "but the meat is safe" line. What I know about "Prions" is that it is a protein that is nearly indestructable and it persists and causes its damage. Nervous system tissue must exist in all the tissues as far as I know. Also this cow didn't grow up in a vacuum and eat alone. When you see a mouse, you can be pretty sure there are more mice. My question is whether or not the practice of feeding these cow byproducts to cows was really curtailed in 1997.

Spence

Evan
12-29-2003, 05:50 PM
What I find most interesting is how everyone speaking out on this in the US suddenly says that there is no safety issue after all. That's not what they said when a single BSE cow was found in Canada this year. Took the US about 10 minutes to ban our beef, and our cow wasn't in the food chain at all.

Evan
12-29-2003, 05:53 PM
Spence,

It was curtailed 1997 but there is a loophole you can drive a mad cow herd through. It is still permissible to feed animal byproducts to pigs and chickens so if cows are in the same barnyard there is every possibility that they will eat some of that feed. This is still the case today in Canada and the US.

wierdscience
12-29-2003, 10:43 PM
What we have in all three cases(England,Canada and now here)is a classic case of MMS(Mad Media Syndrome)it mainly causes knee jerk reactions and speculation.

BSE is like any other form of encephalitis it effects the brain and brain stem,Ibew is right cook those hotdogs real good!

The muscle tissue is uneffected by the disease and cooking by the normal means(well done)makes it perfectly safe.

If an animal eats feed made with other animal protein thats perfectly fine so long as it from some other animal than its own kind,dog food is made for the most part from chicken parts(feet and feathers,beaks and brains)but the problem comes when cows are fed back to cows.A very similar disease effects human cannibles who eat the brains of their victims,a well documented occuence in Borneuo

I love the way the media blows everything out of proportion,this reminds me of the power line scare,some test data from a study of I believe lukiemia cases in Sweden with a possible connection to overhead high voltage lines,what happened was a typo resulted in a sharp rise in one town,well the media got wind of it and so began urban legend.

Notice also there has been much speculation about the cow,the food source,the market loss,and everything else but education seems they are spreading fear instead of fact.

Eat meat,enjoy it,just remember to cook it,after all your much more likley to get ecolli than mad cow anyway http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

SJorgensen
12-29-2003, 11:20 PM
Hi Weird,

I'm not sure that you are the best source of information on this one. You should know that the particle that is the cause of BSE doesn't care what species you are and it seems to me that infection across species is entirely likely if you consume the "prions" that cause the disease. Also the prions can cause damage for years before the infected animal or person will exhibit symptoms. Just two more points. Cooking will not affect a prion. They can withstand heat over 1100 degrees according to Washington State Dept. of Agriculture. Also it seems that many feed supplements that are intended to increase the growth rate of cattle and the production of milk are produced overseas where our production controls don't come into play. Companies like Grodrej Agrovet who make many products like Bypro don't make it easy to find out what went into it. But they used to be a soap company so rendering carcasses might be in their line.
Don't worry. Be happy.

Spence

ibewgypsie
12-29-2003, 11:28 PM
If you ever work around a hot dog cooker, it is a large vat they mix and pump steam through.

Yummy what a smell. Paste comes out the bottom. I don't remember the other processes.

You should see the food factories. I don't want to turn everyone against eating. Just seeing in the kitchens of restaurants makes you want to eat home cooked meals.

Have I told you about working on the creamtorium at the local hospital. Hmm I slipped and fell up to my knee in this white ash.. somebodys granny? Clean thou. Washed right off.

I can fix anything, be it gas burner or homebuilt cnc mill.

I had a steak last night. Yummy

David

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 12-29-2003).]

Thrud
12-30-2003, 01:49 AM
I submit for your elightenment:
http://www.godslayer.org/files/SWF/MadCow.swf

Children and prudes should NOT view this

****you have been warned****

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 12-30-2003).]

Evan
12-30-2003, 03:05 AM
It don't work Dave. They don't like hotlinking to content. Nor do I. I have fun changing the content of someone elses website when they directly link to file on my server. Reminds me, time to check the server logs for hotlinks...

SJorgensen
12-30-2003, 09:30 PM
Maybe:

http://www.godslayer.org/redirect.php/?url=h ttp://www.godslayer.org/files/SWF/MadCow.swf&b=http://www.godslayer.org/files/SWF0.php (http://www.godslayer.org/redirect.php/?url=http://www.godslayer.org/files/SWF/MadCow.swf&b=http://www.godslayer.org/files/SWF0.php)

Be warned he is really mad.

[This message has been edited by SJorgensen (edited 12-30-2003).]

Thrud
12-30-2003, 11:01 PM
Evan
Someone else told me it was a hot link too, but it does not react that way at all to me.

I am curious as to why it would not.

Evan
12-31-2003, 12:43 AM
What browser are you using?

Thrud
12-31-2003, 02:02 PM
XP pro (only for the games)

Evan
12-31-2003, 05:49 PM
I mean the web browser. IE6?

Thrud
01-01-2004, 01:31 AM
6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422.1633
...to be specific

ibewgypsie
01-01-2004, 02:45 AM
My dog is growing at the rate of +1/4" a day.

He eats a pound of dog food a day, gains over a pound a day, how is that possible?

David.???

gamachinist
01-01-2004, 03:05 AM
I had to copy and paste the mad cow to get it to open.

Robert.

Samuel
01-01-2004, 03:07 AM
Ibew

Water?

Evan
01-01-2004, 03:15 AM
The server at the other end looks at the referrer info that you send when you click on a link. If it sees referrer info it then knows that the site or file was linked from some other site. Every time you click on a link the web address of where the link is, is sent to the new server. If the URL is placed in the address bar there is no referrer info so all is fine. Dave, IE6 is probably caching the file so that it doesn't need to download it again from the site. Try deleting all your temp internet files and see what happens.

Evan
01-01-2004, 03:16 AM
Ibew,

Socks?