X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MasterMaker
    • May 2009

Replacing my vise with these!

Unfortunately I haven't gotten a chance to use them yet as there is always something that needs to be made in the vise and thus preventing its removal.

Kind of utilitarian but I think they will prove useful. I made a whole bunch of them(several of each type) and the low profile ones protrude above the mill table less than 10 mm, the tallest are a surfacing cut shy of 30 mm.

I think I need to buy a better camera though.
  • Black_Moons
    • Aug 2009

So... What are they?
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

• J Tiers
      • Jan 2004

hah....

neat idea. That jaw won't rise up!

Look at the nose of them.... the flap is hinged at bottom, pushed by screws. Tilts down as it moves out to grab.

Biggest problem is that now you have "disclosed" that (used to be a) possibly patentable idea publicly
      CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
      Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
      Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
      I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
      Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• TGTool
        • Aug 2005

Probably not patentable. At the USPO they would probably say it's "obvious to one skilled in the art." And besides, there have been recent articles in Model Engineers' Workshop about low profile clamps like these recently.

Still they're a nice idea and those are a nice execution. Good go.
        "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

• J Tiers
          • Jan 2004

yabbut, he's in Norway.

And, you have not seen what gets patented. Stuff in older patents has been patented...

In any case, a good idea. I may copy it, since it is now in the public domain!
          CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• DR
            • Jan 2003

Variations of these have been around for years.

The only time I've had occasion to use my factory made versions are when the part to be held is wider than the milling vise opening.

Comment

• hardtail
              • Jun 2005

The Chinese obey no international patent rules.......IF he had one.......it will be on sale w 800 watt by weekend.........

Nice job..........
              Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

• lazlo
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by J Tiers
                Biggest problem is that now you have "disclosed" that (used to be a) possibly patentable idea publicly
                From the January issue of Model Engineering Workshop.
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

• Black_Moons
                  • Aug 2009

Ahhhh. Gets rid of the ways, so theres no way for the jaw to lift. Nice.
                  Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

• Black Forest
                    • Jan 2010

I still don't see how they are used.

Explain it slow and in simple words for us dummies!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                      From the January issue of Model Engineering Workshop.
                      Yep, and in countless before too. Nice idea, but no patents were harmed in the making of these I assure you!

Black Forrest, they bolt down onto the table using the t-slots, snug up against the work. Then tighten up the horizontal fasteners, this spreads the slot you see in the pics, clamping the work to the table. Using these or eccentric versions, the work size is restricted only by the size of the table as no vice is required; the table IS the vice.

Pete

PS It was December edition actually, but 9/10 for memory
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-17-2011, 05:17 AM.

Comment

• jackary
                        • Jun 2006

What stops the clamp sliding along the Tee slot, apart from the friction grip from the clamping bolt holding it down?
                        Alan

Comment

Originally posted by jackary
                          What stops the clamp sliding along the Tee slot, apart from the friction grip from the clamping bolt holding it down?
                          Alan
                          The friction grip from the clamping bolt holding it down

Comment

• gwilson
                            • Feb 2007

If those are aluminum,better place a piece of paper in their jaws to keep parts being machined from moving. Maybe they are steel. I can't tell,but the color looks like aluminum. I made some of those in the early 70's.

Comment

• jackary
                              • Jun 2006

Pete F if you only have the friction grip clamping axially along the Tee slot the clamping force is limited to this and can move under a heavy cut.

Comment

Working...
                              X