Jacobs Tapers (USA) ~ B_ Tapers (Europe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arthur.Marks
    • Mar 2010

Jacobs Tapers (USA) ~ B_ Tapers (Europe)

I can't seem to find an equivalency chart. I have come across a confusion over the designation of Jacobs Tapers (JT) in Europe. It seems that there are tapers designated by a "B" number which are identical. Can anyone point me to a chart---or just simply list them for me here---which explains which is equivalent to which? ...or if they're not, explain the difference clearly?

Thanks for the help!
  • Arthur.Marks
    • Mar 2010

As an update to my original question... I eventually found this: http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/projec...imensions.html which is a partial dimensional explanation. Are these DIN 238 tapers really all that common? Or was it an idea that sputtered, eventually falling back on the good ol' Jacobs Tapers? In general, I'm just entirely confused on them.

Comment

• SDL
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Arthur.Marks
      As an update to my original question... I eventually found this: http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/projec...imensions.html which is a partial dimensional explanation. Are these DIN 238 tapers really all that common? Or was it an idea that sputtered, eventually falling back on the good ol' Jacobs Tapers? In general, I'm just entirely confused on them.
      I have got several Rohm chucks with B16 and seen others.

Steve Larner

Comment

• Mark McGrath
        • Dec 2004

The B16 taper is especially common here as is Jacobs.Here`s a link to an Albrecht pdf which gives dimensions.
        We develop and manufacture high-quality cutting tools under the Ifanger, MicroTurn and Randag brands. Our products stand for rich experience and pioneering innovations. They respond perfectly to the requirements of the latest generation of materials.

Sorry link doesn`t work,but might be enough info there to find the pdf yourself.

Comment

• John Stevenson
          • Mar 2001

Even better, ask Jacobs.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• Arthur.Marks
            • Mar 2010

Once again, I am struck in the face with the obvious answer! I never thought to reference the Jacobs technical pages because, I figured, it was a DIN standard and not one created by Jacobs. So are the B tapers really the de-facto standard in Europe or not really? It sounds like an even mix based on Mark's reply above.

Comment

• Mark McGrath
              • Dec 2004

Arthur,I would say my experience is that the Jacobs tapers are more common due to the sheer volume of Jacobs drill chucks that exist over here.
              Churchill started selling Jacobs chucks here in the early 1900`s I believe.He was selling over 100 every month in the early days and although he tried to get British manufacturers to make a similar product,not one was interested.
              So,Jacobs ruled the market up until the eighties when I first started to come across the B16 taper,mainly on dedicated machine spindles.
              I would reckon that I could probably come up with over fifty Jacobs drill chucks in my shop alone if I started looking,although very few are used now.
              Last edited by Mark McGrath; 02-20-2011, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X