PDA

View Full Version : Bridgeport Rebuild Book

John Stevenson
02-20-2011, 09:07 PM
Found this on the net for anyone interested,
Well worth downloading and saving.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/bridgeport_j1_head_2_0_01%20Rebuild.pdf

Note the copyright section, OK to download, keep and even give away but not to sell for gain

1.3 Copyright
Hoffman Mechatronics (a.k.a. Mike Hoffman) maintains the copyright to this document. If this
document is sold without my permission, then that is a violation of my copyright. I have decided
to release this document into the public domain, which means if you paid for it, you have been
ripped off, and someone else is profiting from my work.

randyjaco
02-20-2011, 09:42 PM
I must say Mr. Hoffman did an outstanding job on this book. This is a real keeper.
Thanks for sharing Sir John

Randy

Elninio
02-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Things like this should be added to the sticky thread about useful links.

EddyCurr
02-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Thank you.

I feel this will be helpful for working through my Ex-Cell-O.

REdington
02-20-2011, 11:06 PM
John,
Thanks for posting the link this great information.

I agree with Randy "Mr. Hoffman did a outstanding job on the book".

Rodney

alanganes
02-20-2011, 11:17 PM
After reading the subject line and author of the original post, am I the only one who figured this was going to contain a link to a video of a giant bast furnace or something like that?
:D

MichaelP
02-20-2011, 11:20 PM
Now I understand why Sir John hates Bridgeports. Apparently, in England they come in funny colors.

john hobdeclipe
02-20-2011, 11:34 PM
Thanks for this link.

Makes me want to rush right out and buy some rattle cans of yaller paint

bborr01
02-21-2011, 12:13 AM
John,

Thanks for the link. That had to hurt a little to post it, knowing your fondness for B'ports.

Brian

John Stevenson
02-21-2011, 05:06 AM
Now I understand why Sir John hates Bridgeports. Apparently, in England they come in funny colors.

Mike is from the States ;)

mike os
02-21-2011, 01:14 PM
that must be the dewalt version:D

Metalmelter
02-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Nice !!!

I wish I had this when I went through two similar machines but either way it's a rewarding exercise and you'll get to know the machine from the inside out.

I downloaded my copy for safe keeping;)

MichaelP
02-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Mike is from the States
OMG, you're right! :o

that must be the dewalt version

Bravo! :D

TexasTurnado
05-14-2012, 01:27 PM
I saw this on the other forum and just knew you would want to see it since BP's are so close to your heart....

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/new-tattoo-246509/

Mark McGrath
05-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Why was Jock Stevenson searching the net for information on Bridgeport reconditioning?

Robin R
05-14-2012, 04:52 PM
He probably misread it as Bridgeport decommissioning.

Toolguy
05-14-2012, 05:57 PM
I saw this on the other forum and just knew you would want to see it since BP's are so close to your heart....

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/new-tattoo-246509/

Nice tattoo, but just what kind of "tool" is in the spindle???:p

John Stevenson
05-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Awesome.

Probably far more rigid than the original.

uncle pete
05-14-2012, 09:30 PM
ROTFLMAO! Very subtle Sir John.:D

Pete

chevy3755
05-15-2012, 11:28 AM
anyway.........thank you

Rockabye74
12-30-2014, 08:47 AM
Hi, I am Mike Hoffman, the author of the book you mention above. My milling machine was stored for 2 years while our house and workshop were being built and I will be going through the mill again due to an issue with the storage building that caused the mill to get wet. Since I will be going through this machine again to include scraping the ways, I was wondering if anyone thought that the book needed additional content. I intend to offer it up free again and was just wondering if there are sections that need additional attention to include pictures or text? I would also welcome any edits that anyone wants me to incorporate.

Also ... the DeWalt version of the mill will be going away (LOL), I intend to repaint this time with a "Gray" two-part polyurethane!

If anyone knows of a good machine grinder/scraper in the Virginia Maryland area, please let me know as I will also be going through my South Bend Lathe as well.

boslab
12-30-2014, 09:32 AM
Nice you've decided to join the nuthouse, I don't have a Bridgeport but enjoyed the ebook, even though the machine in question is a Bridgeport the info applies to most of the machines about, they are all clones I suppose, myself I'm a Cincinnati lover, I'm not planning on a tatoo though, unless they give me a new one as payment for the advertising that is.
Well done, nice to see that there are still altruistic folk left in the world, you can't even get an instruction manual these days without someone making a bucket of money off it.
Welcome
Mark

Abner
12-30-2014, 09:47 AM
Thanks for writing such a useful book! Wished I had that when I took apart my BP clone for cleaning. Maybe before I bought it as it has hourglass shaped way issues...:(.
I'm nothing but a self taught hobbyist and fan of everything mechanical.
Your book will go into my expanding reference library.

johnnyd
12-30-2014, 10:58 AM
Maybe you can increase it's performance by painting it "Deckel Green":)

The road to failure follows the path of least persistance

TGTool
12-30-2014, 11:56 AM
If anyone knows of a good machine grinder/scraper in the Virginia Maryland area, please let me know as I will also be going through my South Bend Lathe as well.

Rich King rebuilds machines. He's in Minnesota so I don't know if this is too far afield for him but he might well know of qualified rebuilders in your area. You can reach him at Richard@handscraping.com or 651 338 8141.

Lew Hartswick
02-05-2017, 10:01 AM
The link to the original book is dead . :-( Is there a link now to either the original or in case the re-do supplied any additions to them???
This is a prime example of NOT storing the pertinent pictures/documents on this site. This book should be somewhere it "aint gonna go away" . :-)
...lew...

Barrington
02-05-2017, 10:35 AM
The link to the original book is dead . :-( Is there a link now to either the original or in case the re-do supplied any additions to them???
This is a prime example of NOT storing the pertinent pictures/documents on this site. This book should be somewhere it "aint gonna go away" . :-)
...lew...It's available from a few places, e.g.:-

http://cncmanual.com/download/3362/ - (fast download)

http://www.neme-s.org/Shaper%20Books/bridgeport_j1_head_2_0_01%20Rebuild.pdf - (not so fast!)

Cheers

Machine
02-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Here..

http://www.neme-s.org/Shaper%20Books/bridgeport_j1_head_2_0_01%20Rebuild.pdf

Sparky_NY
02-05-2017, 11:39 AM
I thought Sir John wrote the book on bridgeports. Two actually, one technical and one comedy. I routinely enjoy both.

j king
02-05-2017, 02:41 PM
Thanks once again..

tmc_31
02-05-2017, 06:17 PM
Mike, wow that was quite an odyssey. Thank you for documenting it so well. 2 questions, you noted little wear on the way surfaces on the table but did not mention the way surfaces on the saddle. Did you note similar wear on the ways in the saddle, more, less? I am curious if the way surfaces in the saddle are harder so that the way surfaces in the table would wear first. Also if you had noted unacceptable wear, would you have attempted scraping those surfaces yourself or would you have sent them out to a shop that specialized in that type of work?

I ask because I am still looking for my Series One J Head Bridgeport:)

regards,

Tim McMurray

jhe.1973
03-03-2017, 02:16 PM
Haven't yet read the entire manual but this is priceless to me:

Dedications and Acknowledgements

First and foremost I want to dedicate this manual to my wife who has put up with my insane
hobbies and business ideas for some 21 years. She is the one who carries me to the hospital when
I do stupid things, and then cares for me at home until I am once again able to do more stupid
things.

:D

Dave C
03-03-2017, 02:48 PM
Nice tattoo, but just what kind of "tool" is in the spindle???:p

Probably used for peck, er drilling.