PDA

View Full Version : soft jaws anyone

Black Forest
02-21-2011, 09:51 AM
These are the bunch of soft jaws that came with my lathe. I have no clue what I would ever use them for! Also if you look at the back there is a tool holder of some sort. There are no mounting holes for it on the cross slide. I am not sure what he used it for.
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/softjaws.jpg

vpt
02-21-2011, 09:58 AM
That is quite the collection! I bet some of them could be used as 1-2-3 blocks or the like.

Peter.
02-21-2011, 10:15 AM
That's a great score! No way I'd get rid of them.
I would sort them into sets of 3 and put them in a box. Any time you want to chuck up something to run true in a 3-jaw and not mar the work throw a set of those in and adjust to diameter of the held work, give it a skim and you've a perfect true-running setup repeatable for that diameter in your 3-jaw. Also handy for holding thin parts by turning a shoulder into the front of the soft jaws.

jkilroy
02-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Agreed, great score. For even short production runs, soft jaws are great. They can really increase accuracy and speed when needed. Wire then together or punch them with matched numbers now before they get all mixed up.

mechanicalmagic
02-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Looks like the lathe was used for precision work, by someone that knew how to hold parts the right way.

Pict of the tool holder thing? Too far away to see.

DJ

Forrest Addy
02-21-2011, 04:07 PM
Yup. That's pro gear. Anyone who ever made money for the company om a lathe wirh a 3 jaw usually did so usng soft jaws. I had a couple 5 gallon painls of cut to nothing soft jaws that went to the scrapyard a few years ago. I have several new sets in the drawer and a few in progress.

That fancy tool holder is a gem for gang tooling like for cutting V-belt grooves etc. Takes a real stiff machine to put them to good use.