PDA

View Full Version : Y Axis stop on a POS Bridgy

John Stevenson
02-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Did Bridgeport ever make a stop system for the Y axis on one of these machines ?

Got one on the table X travel but looking for ideas to do something on the back to front feed, This machine has a DRO fitted so the side rail is very skimpy as it holds the sheet metal scale cover.

Anyone got any pics. No point inventing the wheel if someone has a decent device.

Thought about welding a stop to the dovetails but seems a bit permanent ? :rolleyes:

Toolguy
02-21-2011, 05:57 PM
I made one for mine out of 2 in. square bar Alum. I cut a piece off that was 2" wider than the dovetail and squared the ends, then I cut a notch in one side to match the Y dovetail. Then drilled and tapped for a 3/8 SHCS on one end opposite the notch. Then I cut that end off a little inside the angled part. After that, drilled and tapped for a 3/8 bolt in the middle and put in a long bolt with a nut. You clamp the piece on the Y dovetail with the bolt on the end. Then move the screw to where you want to stop the saddle. Secure the screw in place with the nut.

Tim Clarke
02-21-2011, 09:46 PM
I have a couple catalogs here, but can't find them to look see. I don't remember anything. I've looked at lots of BP's over the years but have never seen one so equipped. Looked at many, all clapped out. Do you think they build them that way? (bought one anyhow)

The stop has been on my to do list for some time, but, alas, I still have hope of a decent milling machine.......

Next time I want the automatic tramming option, zero footprint, self generating powerhead and of course, built from unobtainium for a half life of, say, 20000 years. A nice touch would be a integral beer tap, but maybe that's asking too much.

Regards to all, (BURP)
TC

PeteF
02-21-2011, 10:16 PM
John I have NFI about the Bridgy ... or much else for that matter, but have seen a concept where the "cover" for the scale was beefed up, a T-slot was machined into it, and a stop made. This has been where a scale has needed to be mounted over an existing T-slot/stop, but maybe you could do this for yours?

Pete

doctor demo
02-21-2011, 10:40 PM
John, I had a Clone that had a small channel bolted on the knee and a dog bolted on the saddle then there were some T Nuts and bolts that would make a positive stop if ya didn't crank on the handle too hard.
No pics, don't have the Clone since I have the Real Deal now:)

Steve

Ian B
02-22-2011, 02:11 AM
John,

I have a Beaver VBRP - I think you do too. Mine doesn't have Y axis stops - does yours, were they ever made for this machine?

Ian

John Stevenson
02-22-2011, 05:28 AM
Ian,
My Beaver is the NC5 CNC model so no stops anyway.
Guy round the corner has the biggest manual they made, next time I'm round I'll take a look.

DaveR
02-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Check out the bottom of this page:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/bridgeport/page7.html

I've been thinking about making one of these for my Jet "baby bridgeport" 8x36 mill.

By the way, the tilting table on the bottom of Page 2 looks handy!

Dave

small.planes
02-22-2011, 04:40 PM
It deosnt help much but the TOS has clamps on all (XYZ) axis, the Y one clamps the edge of the knee,
but the TOS has proper box ways and is build from proper (none liquorice) Iron :p
I can take a picture if it helps.

Dave

John Stevenson
02-22-2011, 08:17 PM
DaveR,
Thanks for that, looked on Tony's site but missed that page.
Had a quick look tonight, RH side is taken up by the DRO scale and making a heavy cover is too much trouble because of clearance

BUT,

On the LH side are two tapped holes and two in the rear of the saddle.
I'll measure these up tomorrow and work something round these figures.

Small Planes,
Don't rub it in, I know it's a POS dovetail, licorice machine that goes out of tram when you sneeze.

Malc-Y
02-23-2011, 11:41 AM
DaveR,
Thanks for that, looked on Tony's site but missed that page.
Had a quick look tonight, RH side is taken up by the DRO scale and making a heavy cover is too much trouble because of clearance

BUT,

On the LH side are two tapped holes and two in the rear of the saddle.
I'll measure these up tomorrow and work something round these figures.

Small Planes,
Don't rub it in, I know it's a POS dovetail, licorice machine that goes out of tram when you sneeze.

John,
My Bridgeport is fitted with one of those on the left hand side of the knee, I had assumed that all Bridgeports had them, maybe they are quite rare and worth loads of money! :D

Malc. :cool:

John Stevenson
03-04-2011, 06:57 PM
So after upsetting one of my better customers by slamming the phone down on him I got a chance to have a look at this POS Bridgy.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/YStop1.jpg

Two holes in the knee which when cleaned out turn out to be 3/8" UNC and two in the saddle, one just visible in the top of the picture, hidden one is above this and they are 5/16" UNC.

Distance between the two knee holes is 11 1/2"

So, bit of a hunt round and find and cut this.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/YStop2.jpg

Excuse the metric bits but this is what was on hand. Two pieces of 20mm x 6mm flat, two pieces of 12mm square, all four being 16" long and two 12mm square spacers at 25mm long.

No reason why you cannot use 3/4" x 1/4" and 1/2" square.

Drill, tap, countersink and fasten two of each of the long ones together to form a tee slot, or will be.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/YStop3.jpg

Two holes drill in the bottom strip to fit the knee but I dropped a bollock and got them in the wrong place as regards Y axis travel, more later.

The two spaces were fitted to the ends and welded in, this gives an open slot 3/8" wide to get two tee bolts in from the back.

Fastened to the knee with two 1/2" spacers to clear the lube pipes.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/YStop4.jpg

Re-drilled the mounting holes so the front one is 2 1/2" in from the end, then second one 11 1/2" further on.

The stops are pieces of hex with a tenon machines on the back to run in the 3/8" slot to stop them turning, flat on the bottom to miss the mounting bolt heads.

The carriage arm is 6" long by 16mm square, OK to use 5/8" or whatever is available. Two holes, first is 3/4" from the top, second is 1" from that and drilled to one side to clear the horizontal bar.

Cover has been removed from the X axis DRO scale to get access to the carriage bolts, now refitted.

Could be made neater or milled from one piece but it works and it only took 1 1/2 hours to mackle up.

Main thing is all the relevant sizes are in the post, 16" long, 11 1/2" centres for the bar and 6" long with 1" centres for the stop, best to check if the same applies as this is a Bridgy built under license.

doctor demo
03-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Could be made neater or milled from one piece but it works and it only took 1 1/2 hours to mackle up.

John that looks a lot like what I was trying to describe in post #5.:)
Nice job, now go kiss that customers backside that You hung up on.:D

Steve