PDA

View Full Version : The Right To Know !!!!!!!

JoeLee
02-21-2011, 08:27 PM
This is so funny I thought I would share it with everyone here.
My girlfriend comes home one day last week from work, she's in a bad mood, which is unusual for her. So I asked what the problem was. She said well we had that stupid right to know meeting at work today, it was really a drag. So I asked, OK, what this right to know meeting all about, altough I had an idea. She said well, this guy comes into the office and shows us this movie about someone getting thier fingers cut of in some kind of big metal cutting machine. So I said, you work in an office, where are there machines like that in an office...... she said there is'nt, but we have to watch it anyway. I said OK well what else did he say, well he told us that we should avoid sniffing the white out, OK enough........... (I can just picture a bunch of woman sitting around sniffing the bottle of white out.)
He also said whe should wear gloves when we change the toner cartridge in the copier or the ink cartridges in the printer and to avoid getting any of the chemicals on our hands, and we should wash our hands after we do these things. Also we should not run the copier with any of the gaurds or covers removed because there are dangerous moving parts inside.
I said............ OK enough I get the picture.
Now........... here is my take on this....... can you imagine this guy comming into my shop or any of us HSM'ers and looking for hazardous things. He wouldn't know where to begin.
There is some validity to all this as just stop and think of all the things us guys handel and breath in out home shops !!!!!
The metals we grind, cobalt and carbide tooling.
Dressing grinding wheels and sanding things.
Fumes from welding, brazing, and soldering fluxes.
Spray paints, mist from coolants and cutting fluids, not to mention handeling all this stuff.
I'm sure you guys can add to the list.
It really does make you think.

JL.................

KiddZimaHater
02-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Ha! Yeah. Just last night I was turning Aluminum with WD-40 which makes a nice stinky, smelly smoke/fume/mist that I was breathing for a few hours.
I coughed and had chest pains for a while until the Bourbon killed it.

sasquatch
02-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Joe, i agree with your,e point of hazardous things,,but most things in moderation i believe we can overcome, depending of course on the severity of the noxious substance.

Inspectors,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"Bad NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

Black_Moons
02-21-2011, 08:50 PM
I love spray painting, then blowing my nose and getting all the techno color goobiers. Really should start wearing that mask...

gcude
02-21-2011, 10:13 PM
The old saying, "What don't kill us, makes us stronger" comes to mind. Your girlfriend may be shortening her life expectancy if she follows all of this guys advice. :D

lane
02-21-2011, 10:15 PM
I thought we had the right to kill our self`s over a long period of time. By using all the things we use in our shops.

38_Cal
02-21-2011, 10:35 PM
Those "right to know" meetings are held because the insurance companies want to jerk the rug out from under you if you do something stupid at work, and OHSA wants to be able to fine the company for "allowing" you do do something stupid at work. No winners in that game other than the bureaucraps building their empires!

David

TGTool
02-21-2011, 10:43 PM
I think the company is trying to innoculate iteself against possible problems. In the simplest case, maybe someone does learn something useful for safety. Big maybe. However, if someone does have an accident it gives the company the opportunity to show they tried to educate the workforce about safe practices and if an accident happens it was just an accident, not gross negligence.

jstinem
02-22-2011, 01:29 AM
If you think we'd be better off without OSHA, EPA, FDA and all those other Government money pits then take a good look at China. Thats how they work.

In this case: the law doesn't say the safety lecture has to be appropriate for every employee. It just says that every employee has to hear one so management won't waste a penny developing a program for office workers who don't get hurt much anyway. I feel sorry for poor guy giving the lecture. He had to know how totally dumb it sounded but he had to stand there and do anyway.
Joe

Black_Moons
02-22-2011, 02:40 AM
OSHA saves more lives then the NSA.
Think about it.

Arcane
02-22-2011, 11:49 PM
I remember back after they changed the laws so that management could be held responsible for certain accidents happening to workers, we got inundated with Safety courses...courses on how to run equipment and courses on safe work practices. Before it was just "Here, do this job!" and the only instruction given to a lot of people who had never seen the equipment or had a clue about how to do the job safely was "Work safe." Once management was faced with the prospect of being held personally responsible for lack of proper training and lack of suitable safety equipment, every time we turned around we were having a Course on something or other. The whole point of it all was so that management could drag some attendance list out years after an incident and point at it and say "See here? We trained him how to do that job safely, it was his fault that there was an acident." thus covering their asses and insulating themselves from any responsibility. Personally, a lot of it was bogus...like sending me out of town for 3 days to a Bucket Truck operating course after I was running one daily for a decade and the units they taught about were so different from the one I ran, that it was for all intents and purposes, useless. I could have wrote and passed the little exam we had on the course at home without ever being on the course. Many courses were also "unfailable" and bore no similarities to the situations we might find ourselves in, such as the Confined Space practical test. Thanks to that, I am to this day claustrophobic and suffer from myctophobia (I suffered a sever panic attack during the test). Last refresher course I went to on that, I never even tried the practical, yet it was recorded I had "passed" the test. There were a lot of courses that couldn't be failed.
Now, do I think it was better before or after the law changed? After, easily. Many of the courses were of significant value and much was learned from them, but to tell the truth, I believe that was just coincidence, not planning.

DR
02-23-2011, 08:30 AM
These sort of safety lectures, films, etc are needed.

We have a society unwilling to take responsibility for their own welfare and more than willing to sue someone for their irresponsibility.

Can you imagine anyone STUPID enough to smoke tobacco products? Yet there still are smokers who want to sue the tobacco companies when they become ill because of the use of their products.

Ed P
02-23-2011, 08:41 AM
OSHA saves more lives then the NSA.
Think about it.

How do you know? If I were you I wouldn't bet on it. Think about it.

Ed P

madwilliamflint
02-23-2011, 10:38 AM

We have a society unwilling to take responsibility for their own welfare and more than willing to sue someone for their irresponsibility.

Lots are, definitely.

But the causality runs the other way. People abdicate personal responsibility in response to being coddled and spoon fed.

Ed P
02-23-2011, 10:56 AM

People sue rather than assume responsibility because there is more money in suing. As long as it is easy to sue and get money that is what they will continue to do. It is unlikely that showing safety films will change that.

Ed P

Black_Moons
02-23-2011, 01:34 PM
How do you know? If I were you I wouldn't bet on it. Think about it.
Ed P

Because thoughout time, More americans have been killed and mamed on the job then by terrorists, or even forign powers. (Not counting those who flew off into other countrys to shoot at said countrys)

the NSA can't be 100% effective, And theres still no terrorists attacking the USA. There was no massive terrorist problem when the NSA started working.

OHSA isent 100% effective, but on the job accidents have gone down an an amazing amount since they started working. Consider just 100 years ago that death/dismemberment on the job was considered common. At one point people carryed around nitrogylrin like it was nothing! Worked on sky scrapers without any safty equipment at all.

If you are currently single, You are more likey to get married then be killed by your wife, then by a terrorist.
If you are currently marryed.. LOOK OUT! :P
I worry much more about my machines, people I know, and drivers on the road.

But back to the point, Our day to day lives, our daily jobs, our commute to our jobs, Is much more likey to kill you then anything else.

'Stupid' stuff like OHSA, Traffic laws, drunk driving checkpoints, etc, Save more lives then all the security at the airport. All the security everywhere really. (Except maybe military/utility/jail security. Those are likey best left in place..)

Yea, Some of it (Workplace safty) is bull and does not do much good, But on the other hand, Have you seen pictures/videos of workplaces just 50 years ago? Scary as hell! Giant open crankshafts, belts, augers, chains, gears, everywhere, And being mamed and killed was 'just part of the job.'

Look at china for a good example of what 'no regulation' in safty results in.
No lawsuits when someone gets mamed = No reason for business to care.
CEO's don't care how many people lost thier arms/legs/lives today, Just how much that costs them. Without lawsuits, Fines, etc, It just cost them a couple hours wages to an HR droid to interview a replacement. With lawsuits/fines, It costs them more then to buy a sheet metal cover over the giant auger/belt/chain/gear/etc that ate 3 people this year.

For all the bad press OHSA gets around here (this forum). Just remember, They are actualy working to save you, your friends, your family. And likey saving more lives and limbs then any other agency, (Except maybe Fire, Police and ambulance/hospital services.. Assuming you can afford the latter)

Even if they can be jerks, and have gone overboard, You are better off with them then without them.

Id say im playing devils advocate, But I would perfer to call it statistician's advocate. Look at the numbers, Not the "media shock value". Someone killing a few people with a bomb might be tragic, But its hardly a scratch in the countrys death count, A very large number of witch are avoidable accidents.

( http://www.the-eggman.com/writings/death_stats.html states about 43,354 people died in 2002 from just motor vehical accidents, thats 12+ 9/11's, Another 13,322 from falling, 4 9/11's... How many from terrorists? Not sure, did'nt make the list! But you'd need about 4 9/11's a year to catch up to falling, 4 9/11 every year to catch up to Poisoning and Noxious Subst's, 1 9/11 every year to catch up to drowning, or just fire/smoke. Im guessing workplace accidents fall under 'Unspecified nontransport accid'ts', that'd be 5 9/11's a year)

loose nut
02-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Because thoughout time, More americans have been killed and mamed on the job then by terrorists, or even forign powers.

In WW2 more Americans and maybe it was the same everywhere back then, where causalities working in war production factories then on the battlefield.

It was probably a lot higher in Germany considering that they where being bombed constantly or were slave labor with zero value to the Nazi's.

wendtmk
02-24-2011, 12:03 PM
In WW2 more Americans and maybe it was the same everywhere back then, where causalities working in war production factories then on the battlefield.

It was probably a lot higher in Germany considering that they where being bombed constantly or were slave labor with zero value to the Nazi's.
According to Tiffiepedia, there were 416,800 US military deaths in WW2. You're telling us there were more deaths than that in the US attributable to workers in war production factories? Any proof of that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties

Mark

derekm
02-24-2011, 12:31 PM
According to Tiffiepedia, there were 416,800 US military deaths in WW2. You're telling us there were more deaths than that in the US attributable to workers in war production factories? Any proof of that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties

Mark
given that recently (last two years) the u.s. has been running at about 5000 direct deaths and 49,000 related industrial deaths per year . It could be true. Remember the death toll in WW2 for the U.S. for the size of population was quite small compared to other nations, particularly since the civilian population was not affected signifcantly.
(remember the country with highest death toll for the 1944 Normandy invasion was France)

The Artful Bodger
02-24-2011, 04:11 PM
given that recently (last two years) the u.s. has been running at about 5000 direct deaths and 49,000 related industrial deaths per year . It could be true. Remember the death toll in WW2 for the U.S. for the size of population was quite small compared to other nations, particularly since the civilian population was not affected signifcantly.
(remember the country with highest death toll for the 1944 Normandy invasion was France)

Consider also those who died of 'industrial' accidents while in the military.

Alistair Hosie
02-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Ha! Yeah. Just last night I was turning Aluminum with WD-40 which makes a nice stinky, smelly smoke/fume/mist that I was breathing for a few hours.
I coughed and had chest pains for a while until the Bourbon killed it.
by kiddiminster

He he well up here in Scotland we use the whiskey to act as a coolant pour it on the hot metal liberaly and deeply inhale then you don't suffer anything but a headache the next day.:DAlistair

Lew Hartswick
02-24-2011, 08:08 PM
He he well up here in Scotland we use the whiskey to act as a coolant pour it on the hot metal liberaly and deeply inhale then you don't suffer anything but a headache the next day.:DAlistair
NOW THERE is an idea. But I'm afraid the good stuff is a bit too
expensive for flood coolant. Maybe just a "spritz" bottle or brush it
on. :-)
...lew...

The Artful Bodger
02-24-2011, 10:01 PM
NOW THERE is an idea. But I'm afraid the good stuff is a bit too
expensive for flood coolant. Maybe just a "spritz" bottle or brush it
on. :-)
...lew...

Filter it through your kidneys first..;)

smalltime
02-24-2011, 10:18 PM
I think you're all missing the REAL reason for the classes......One word, Insurance.

When a company has these "seminars" they can show the insurance company they have entered into a safety program and reduce their premiums.:eek: