PDA

View Full Version : Royal Electric Rubber Cord ?????

JoeLee
02-22-2011, 02:47 PM
I have a few extension cords I made up several years ago, ranging from 3 to 7 years + old. The rubber cord is made by Royal. Some of this stuff is 12 3 and some is 10 3. Some is SJ and some are type S or SO. Recently, meaning within the last year or so I've notice that the black jacket of this stuff has all cracked and become stiff. I have some cords I made up with other brands of cable and they are all like new, some are over 30 years old. Just the stuff made by Royal has cracked. Anyone else ever use any of this brand cable and notice the same thing happening???

JL................

CCWKen
02-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Not cable/wire but I had a few Chinese rubber coated air hoses that lasted about six months. The outer layer just cracked and fell off. And these were INDOOR hoses. They never saw the sun and it's not particularly oily in my body shop. Just cheap rubber.

Black_Moons
02-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Don't mean to hijack but..
I buy nothing but tundra air 3/8" ID hoses. They are the nicest, most flexable hoses I have ever used. Have not managed to damage one yet dispite leaving em over the shop floor and grinding grit into em every time I step on them. Also speced for -40c +65c, So you know they will be good no matter what the weather. I think they are even a little better then those $$$$ polyuthrane hoses.

If only they would make a 1/2" ID hose and sold it localy.. Had to buy some much less flexable hoses for my 1/2" lengths...

Wish they would make wire insulation outta this stuff..

PS: the 'crimped ear' type pex crimps for 1/2" pex work WONDERS for crimping tundra air hose to barb type connectors. (Could'nt find any 12' hoses so had to make my own. Havent had to repair tundra air hoses yet)

Liger Zero
02-22-2011, 08:23 PM
I think but I am not sure... Royal may have been the subject of a massive recall.

I know there were two extension cord recalls in the last five years but I forget the particulars.

darryl
02-22-2011, 11:34 PM
I like the Tundra air hose also. I got some of that pvc cheap stuff and the best use I have for that is as permanently installed air line. But as for extension cord, I've had both the cracky rubber and the good stuff. The good stuff is still flexible when cold, and the crappy stuff gets fairly stiff. If tires were made of the crappy 'rubber', they wouldn't last a mile in the winter.

I don't know if the S ratings signify anything about the rubber compound, but I do know that if I had a cracking problem with any SO or SJ rated cab tire, I'd take that garbage back so fast-

I can go into my workshop or our shop truck and find examples of the 'real stuff' which is decades old and doesn't have that problem.

Rosco-P
02-23-2011, 08:42 AM
S= rubber, SO= neoprene, SJO= neoprene, junior service (300V)

To set things straight, the OP is asking about cord he's made up, not your typical orange vinyl extension cords with molded on ends. There was a recall some years ago on the typical orange cords. Neoprene jackets on SO and SJO should last a long time, but still not forever depending on what they are exposed to. The rubber, S cords would be more acceptable to damage from solvents, oils and gasoline. Maybe take a second look and see if the ones that are failing are all type S.

JoeLee
02-23-2011, 08:53 AM
S= rubber, SO= neoprene, SJO= neoprene, junior service (300V)

To set things straight, the OP is asking about cord he's made up, not your typical orange vinyl extension cords with molded on ends. There was a recall some years ago on the typical orange cords. Neoprene jackets on SO and SJO should last a long time, but still not forever depending on what they are exposed to. The rubber, S cords would be more acceptable to damage from solvents, oils and gasoline. Maybe take a second look and see if the ones that are failing are all type S.

Rosco, thanks for getting things back on track. My post was originally started inquiring about SO and SJO electric cord made by Royal Electric, some how it got sidetracked to air hose.

JL..............

HAP
02-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Some rubber is highly affected by ozene. So, even it they were "indoor" use only they could still be affected from ozone...

HAP

JoeLee
02-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Some rubber is highly affected by ozene. So, even it they were "indoor" use only they could still be affected from ozone...

HAP

Agreed, but it should have not cracked in such a short time. I have other cords that are 20 years or older and are still fine. They had a bad batch of rubber they used for the jacket.

JL..................

Rosco-P
02-23-2011, 01:31 PM
Sunlight exposure also reduces the useful life of portable cord. What would be the major sources of ozone indoors? SO type is ozone resistant as well.

http://www.portablecord.info/types.htm