PDA

View Full Version : New Years Resolutions

abn
12-08-2003, 05:03 AM
#1) Until my mill is operational, I will not start any new shop projects that don't directly relate to getting it operational.

#2) I will not bid on any ebay items until my only remaining debt is the mortgage.

#3) All machine related purchases will be by cash, or if by credit I will pay before the next cycle date.

#4) I will add either oxy-acetylene AND bandsaw capability or Tig capability to my shop in 2004...leaning toward the gas and bandsaw. Maximum of $2000 for the 2004 shop budget.

#5) I will complete my engine buildup by June 2004, with an April 2004 actual target date.

These are my 2004 Shop Resolutions...Wish me luck! How about you?

chief
12-08-2003, 06:59 AM
I resolve to find out what in the hell a Aluminum Hexasphericon is and what it's used
for. Oh yeah, and grovel for a raise too.

Shed Machinist
12-08-2003, 09:04 AM
i plan to work with the tools i am getting for christmas nonstop until 2004. for some reason i don't think i am gonna make this one though.

abn
12-08-2003, 10:05 AM
I'm with you there...just thinking about the set up to machine one makes my head hurt.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chief:

I resolve to find out what in the hell a Aluminum Hexasphericon is and what it's used
for. Oh yeah, and grovel for a raise too.</font>

bspooh
12-08-2003, 10:29 AM
I really need to quit smoking..I have been smoking for 18 years now..Sorry for being a little off topic, but I need help..That is my only new years resolution..

To all you younger people, i.e. shed machinist....Don't be an idiot like myself, and start smoking...It will grab hold of you and not let you go....Machining should be your only addiction...

brent

Fred White
12-08-2003, 11:06 AM
bspooh-

Go to WalMart and get some nicotine gum.
( WalMart house brand is the cheapest and works just a well as the high priced brand )

I haven't had a cigarette in over a year and a half- and that was after 40 years of smoking!

jfsmith
12-08-2003, 11:50 AM
I resolve that we all need to live happier lives, that we all should spend more time with our families, to clean up our messes behind, mostly all of those chips we produce.

I especially resolve that we help each other to learn more about our craft.

Happy Holiday,

Jerry

Evan
12-08-2003, 02:40 PM
A long time ago I resolved to never make a New Years resolution. I have kept it.

wierdscience
12-08-2003, 10:47 PM
I resolve to make no more resolutions! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

lynnl
12-09-2003, 02:17 PM
1 Jan 1978 I resolved to quit smoking. Took me until 3 Feb before I finally took the last puff, but haven't missed 'em since.

My point is: if your desire to be a nonsmoker truly exceeds your desire to smoke a cigarette, then stick with it and don't get discouraged just because you slip up once or twice or even several times. The thought that I remember clinging to and pulled me thru was a statement my Daddy had made years earlier when he quit: "There's NOTHING in those cigarettes that your body absolutely HAS TO HAVE."

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 12-09-2003).]

bspooh
12-09-2003, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the encouragement about Smoking...This will be my only EVER new years resolution...

brent

John Stevenson
12-09-2003, 08:26 PM
Must try and find the floor again.

John S.

Michael Az
12-09-2003, 08:55 PM
bspooh, hang tight buddy! I was smoking three packs a day over twenty years ago and boy, figure out how much money I have saved. Sure will buy a lot of tools and not to mention how much healthier I am today. My best friend never could quit and has had his third heart attack. They did a five bypass surgery and he still smokes.
Michael

PSD KEN
12-10-2003, 12:04 AM
I kicked the habit after 30+yrs,
Quitting doesn't hurt as much as cancer/heart attacks. I was close to Emphysema(sp)
At that time my old neighbor died, throat cancer, his loutish son inheirated house, (mid 30's) He was smoking straight Camels,
much coughing, hacking simply did't get the word I guess.

bdarin
12-10-2003, 12:12 AM
Look on the bright side, PSD. Soon the lout will die off and maybe someone normal will buy the house. I quit smoking last year after, well, since 1968. Used the patch. Got 1/2 way thru stage 2 when I got tired of buying those overpriced patches and just quit. Seems to me if you want folks to quit smoking then make patches cheaper than cigarettes. Duh. As for MY New Year's resolution??? Never made one before, why start now and mess up a good thing? But seriously, folks, I resolve not to hurt myself on any of my tools this year (Rigggghhhhhttttt).

[This message has been edited by bdarin (edited 12-09-2003).]

Thrud
12-10-2003, 01:59 AM
Brent
My brother, if you can't quit for yourself, then quit for your wife and kids. Smoking eventually killed my dad. My mother had cancer under her tongue from it, almost died and still doesn't get it. It just is not worth it. Get the gum if you have to - do whatever it takes to stop - you deserve to see your wife and children grow old, to see their children, and their children. Don't throw it away on coffin nails.

John
I am still wander in my "floor-about" - verily I hath seen glimpses of snot green carpet out yonder basement door, yet the boxes still clutter and obscureth the floor - gadzooks! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Hey! Congrats on the Soccer win!

MikeH
12-10-2003, 11:17 AM
Brent,

I second what Dave (Thrud) said. I lost my grandfather (who I was very close to) to stomach cancer from smoking and chewing tobacco when I was three. I lost my aunt to lung cancer from smoking when I was six. I lost my uncle to brain cancer (spread from the lung cancer that was removed) from smoking when I was twelve. Do what ever it takes to stick around; your kids, grandkids, nephews, and neices will love you for it. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Mike

lynnl
12-10-2003, 02:29 PM
Before you start non-smoking, just find yourself a quiet place where you're not disturbed and spend some time reflecting on the fact that a few days of discomfort and depravation are a small price to pay for ridding yourself of that costly, destructive (healthwise) habit. Then every time you feel the craving, reflect back on those thoughts, and renew your dedication. After awhile you'll feel tremendous pride in the achievement and realize just how easy it was.

When I was quitting I rolled up little notepad sheets in the form of a simulated cigarette and 'puffed' on those and inhaled deeply. That seemed to help. After just a few days I actually enjoyed doing without.

darryl
12-10-2003, 04:22 PM
My dad likewise quit more for the family than himself. He made the decision, and stuck to it. Quit cold turkey, hasn't touched a cancer stick since. I always admired him for that, more so since I have come to realize that it's not an easy thing to do.
As far as resolutions, I resolve to put in more revolutions. Of the spindle, that is.

BillH
12-10-2003, 04:34 PM
I resolve to get a SOuth Bend lathe.

pgmrdan
12-10-2003, 05:10 PM

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-08-2004).]

thistle
12-10-2003, 08:57 PM
i smoked since i was thirteen- tried a 100 times to stop- then woke up one day and decided that i was not smoke ever again no excuses nothing - wife was still smoking though - moaned and grumbled so much she stopped .
smoking was the dumbest thing i have ever done .
if you want to you will, try to turn every craving for a smoke into a victory .

i am going to fix everything around here that is broken .

pgmrdan
01-01-2004, 11:07 AM

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-08-2004).]

IOWOLF
01-01-2004, 11:46 AM
Well I must get that garden shed built for my wonderful wife, besides I need the room in MY shop.

Never have and never will smoke , anything.

jr45acp
01-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Well, you Guys have gone and done it! I've been contemplating kicking the habit for about 6 months. Damn it all, and after reading your stories of success and of those who suffered from the deleterious effects of tobacco, guess I'm gonna go for the brass ring. Besides, with what I save, I might just have enough money in a few months to get a taper attachment for my Clausing. So wish me success and say a prayer for those that are gonna have to put up with me. I've been thru this before and I must admit that my poor disposition far and away exceeds that of Thrud when he is presented with his sister's meatloaf.

------------------
John B

BillH
01-01-2004, 12:40 PM
Hmm, I resolved to get a southbend lathe, I allready did before new years, hehe.
Hmm, ok, Im going back on the exercise and diet routine I did before to lose 70lbs.

[This message has been edited by BillH (edited 01-01-2004).]

Paul Gauthier
01-01-2004, 01:32 PM
To get a cutter grinder.

------------------
Paul G.

rohart
01-02-2004, 10:39 PM
bspooh -

If it helps, I'd been cutting down by smoking ghastly herbal cigarettes for a few months, with maybe one real one before bed.

On my bedside table is the last real one I was going to smoke, and that was 5 months back, in September. I just sort of switched into can't be bothered mode. I still don't say I've given up.

I guess I didn't feel it was forever, doing it like that. I still get nervous, even typing this, that I might have to have another, just to check I can "not" as it were. Good luck, either way.

debequem
01-02-2004, 11:13 PM
Bless every one of you that wants to quit.

Please consider that you not only do it for yourself, but those that love you too.

Nothing is more painful than the memory of the death of the young girl I was married to who refused to quit despite my begging. It is the survivors that pay the price. I think of her every day. What a waste to be cut down so young, living half a life.

I hope all of you succeed.

Marv

spope14
01-03-2004, 12:18 AM
I have got to quit chewing tobacco. Tried everything, but I become hell to be around. The gum is no help, but maybe something else will be.

I will be cutting back severely in the next months though.

This is my "resolution", but alas, will probably wait until the summer months when I am away from the students, and can lock myself away at my camp for a week to be away from the wife and kids so I do not make them sorry once again for the resson that I quit.

I know - excuses, but us swedes have the old "viking temper" in us.

Good luck to all who have decided to quit.

decoy91288
01-03-2004, 01:53 AM
I quit a bunch of times. Once lasted over nine years. When I started again it was because of stress. My trick to stop is to: 1 -- put off the first cig of the day a little later each day, 2 -- make areas off limits to smoking i.e. not in the house, not in the car etc etc. 3 -- listen to yourself, if you are telling yourself you want to quit that is an opportunity to quit even if for a few hours. Eventually you will get sick of the games and really stop.

Good luck, it is worth it. I buy a gun a year with the proceeds of not smoking. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

I worked with a warrant officer who quit cold turkey by imagining he was a POW each time he wanted a smoke. A brutal way to quit but it worked for him.

Evan
01-03-2004, 03:24 AM
When I was in Basic Training we were allowed three cigs a day, on your person, during work hours. One after breakfast, lunch and dinner. One day a poor sorry dude was caught with a whole pack in his pocket. The DI made him eat them. Ralph, barf, puke, retch, heave and so on. No one cheated after that.