PDA

View Full Version : Stanko lathe what a monster!

Black Forest
02-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Today I got all the electrics on my new to me Stanko lathe. Everything works. Coolant pump, light, DRO's and of course the main motor that drives the spindle.

This lathe has 14 hp and for me it was amazing to take the cuts I was taking. I didn't have a lot of time to do much with it but what I did I was completely satisfied that I got a good lathe.

After spending time with my 80 year old lathe the last few months I got a real appreciation for what a big lathe can do in a very short time.

Now I just have to learn how to take advantage of my good fortune!

I did not try threading on the lathe yet but maybe tomorrow.

I parted off some pipe and WOW. Parting is fun now and not the dreaded parting. I set the rpm's at 1000 and plunged the parting tool into the pipe and in 10 seconds done. This was 2" pipe with 5mm wall thicknes. I was shocked. On my other lathe this would have taken minutes.

I am a very happy guy this evening.

MotorradMike
02-23-2011, 05:55 PM
6,000 Lb lathe with a 14HP motor?
Sounds like a monster to me.

How you justified that for a home shop is beyond me, but well done!
I'd like to see video of single pass threading and parting off some 2" round stock(not pipe).
I can part off 2" pipe on my lathe with no problem.
ABS pipe, that is. :D

Mcgyver
02-23-2011, 06:56 PM
that'll remove some material....the hard part is restraining yourself from making every 1/2" shaft from 3" stock just because its so much fun blasting the material off after babying a smaller lathe.

sch
02-23-2011, 08:40 PM
You might get another shock from the electric company, running
14HP for any length of time. Just for grins, take a look at your
electric meter lathe off and then again lathe on, course it is not
likely you will do anything to pull the full 14hp out of the motor
but idle amp draw will still be significant.

Black Forest
02-23-2011, 11:38 PM
I have a horse farm here in the Black Forest. I use the machines to build and repair things here on the farm. I am a total amateur when it comes to machining.

As to the cost of running the machine. Yeah it might be expensive but look at it this way. It will take me much less time to do operations on this lathe so it won't have to run very long!

As to the parting I was not bragging. I was just amazed at how easy it was compared to my other lathe. If I came off as bragging I apologize, that was not my intention.

The Artful Bodger
02-23-2011, 11:53 PM
....As to the parting I was not bragging. I was just amazed at how easy it was compared to my other lathe. If I came off as bragging I apologize, that was not my intention.

BF, I dont care if you are bragging or not but to my mind you sure have just cause to do so!:)

Tony Ennis
02-24-2011, 12:00 AM
You like your new lathe. Good!

Now, post some pics :)

mototed
02-24-2011, 08:58 AM
I'll agree with Mr Tony.Would love to see a picture of the beast. ( the lathe, not the horses)

SharkfacePilot
02-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Today I got all the electrics on my new to me Stanko lathe.

<...>

I parted off some pipe and WOW.

<....>

I am a very happy guy this evening.

I have a Stanko mill and when I first got it I felt just the same as you do now. It is not quite such a lump, similar in size and design to a Deckel FP3/4 but at about 10% the price and probably 90% the quality.

I don't want to start a squabble with the Deckel-ites and I'm happy to concede they are 'better', but some of the good Soviet gear really is very good. Crap is crap anywhere, but the good stuff deserves much better recognition than it gets.

OTOH, as long as it is all panned, it keeps the prices low for those who know the good ones.

Enjoy the new toy, it'll give you good service.