PDA

View Full Version : Tool gloat

lbhsbz
02-24-2011, 08:41 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/machschnelGTI/048729e9.jpg

Can't beat the price....FREE!

It's a Taiwanese "Dar Sin" 13x40. No idea of the age. Feels in very good shape....everything works smoothly with no play. The compound has about a full turn of backlash and the crossfeed seems like the screw might be bent....has a stiff spot on every revolution. I'mmhaving trouble reding the motor plate because they put it in a stupid spot. It appears to have a variable drive transmission, yet the motor says "variable speed 3 phase motor"...which seems dumb. I've got to see what I can source cheaper....a vfd or a single phase motor. Anyway, gonna clean
It up and get it running in the next couple weeks hopefully. I'm looking forward to the upgrade from my old Clausing 4800

J. R. Williams
02-24-2011, 08:47 PM
Upgrade????

PixMan
02-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Congrats. I hope it works well for you. Me, I would do everything in my power (no pun intended) to keep its 3-phase motor. Add a VFD or a an RPC, but to go to a single phase motor would be a big mistake.

BTW, this is the lathe I got for free about 6 years back, also a Taiwanese make:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/kenm10759/Dads%20shop/IMG_0284-r.jpg

It came with a crappy 3-jaw scroll chuck (.008" runout), but also with the working DRO, a Dorian D40CA QCTP, a No.2, No.4, No.7 and No.881 holders. About $1000 in rigging, shipping and repair parts to put it near-perfect. I think yours will be far less, unless you add a DRO and QCTP. Do remove the chuck key before applying power though.

lbhsbz
02-24-2011, 08:54 PM
The Clausing is a lightweight, with only a 3/4 spindle bore and 1hp 110v. The new one has about 800 lbs on the old one. We'll see....i'll keep whichever one works better

PixMan
02-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Your new one looks like it has a D1-3 spindle mount. Perhaps bigger? What's the through hole on the new one? The Victor is about 50mm through the spindle, 5 "Taiwanese HP" motor (really about 4.2), and speeds from 65 to 1800. It weighs 2600 pounds, so I felt safer using a rigger to bring it in with the right equipment and experience in doing it. I have since replaced the hardwood "pads" it's sitting on in the above photo and replaced them with steel pucks.

How are you going to get yours of that wooden pallet safely?

The Artful Bodger
02-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Here is someone talking about the same lathe

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=180641

gordsgarage
02-24-2011, 10:57 PM
Lathe lookgs great, congrats! BTW is there a list I can get my name on to recieve a free lathe too?:)

Gord

lbhsbz
02-25-2011, 01:07 AM
Mine has 40mm spindle bore...which will come in handy. I've got a 4000lb engine crane to get it off the pallet. Had one of the truck drivers from work pick it up for me and drop it off....had a liftgate and a pallet jack...went surprisingly smooth

PixMan
02-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Lathe lookgs great, congrats! BTW is there a list I can get my name on to recieve a free lathe too?:)

Gord

Man, do I wish there was a list like that. I need a CNC mill to replace/upgrade dad's Bridgeport for which we overpaid. I am getting close on an older Tree 325 with Bendix Delta Dynapath 20 control, just have to work out the barter.

I guess I shouldn't mention the Kent KGS-200 surface grinder I got for a half a Saturday of teaching a guy and his employee how to start-up and run his Citizen F12?

BTW lbhsbz, you can't be a hick. I've been to Long Beach, and that is about as "industrial" a beach as I have ever seen.

philbur
02-25-2011, 12:46 PM
New rule #1). Gloats with photos showing the chuck key in the chuck wont count as a gloat without a clear disclaimer. Otherwise "it never happened". :(

New rule #2). Asking the reason for new rule 1) will result in an instant and permanent ban from all machining related internet forums on the grounds that the transgressor lacks sufficient imagination to be capable of working safely and therefore should not be encouraged to continue. :eek:

Phil:)

lbhsbz
02-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Oh gimme a break. The lathe is strapped to a pallet, and I haven't even bought the VFD to make it run yet....the chuck key is stuck there because I couldn't think of a better place to put it for the time being. Once the lathe is operational, I'll put it on my little rack on the wall where I put chuck keys.

Did anyone looking at that picture really think the lathe was anywhere near operational???? Seriously?.....

Deja Vu
02-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Heh! Good one, Phil....:D
I'm sure you were jesting...

philbur
02-25-2011, 06:32 PM
It was a leg-pull with a serious note. You obviously didn't pick-up on either.

There is actually nothing in the photo to indicate that it is not operational. In any case, operational or not, it is just bad practice to use the chuck as a convenient place to leave the key. Trust me on this.

Phil:)

Oh gimme a break. The lathe is strapped to a pallet, and I haven't even bought the VFD to make it run yet....the chuck key is stuck there because I couldn't think of a better place to put it for the time being. Once the lathe is operational, I'll put it on my little rack on the wall where I put chuck keys.

Did anyone looking at that picture really think the lathe was anywhere near operational???? Seriously?.....

Thomas Staubo
02-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Welcome to the club! (the lathe-for-free-club)
It looks nice.

Free-Myford-lathe-owner (mine also had a bent cross slide screw when I got it :rolleyes:)

lbhsbz
02-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Did you replace it or straighten it?

I'm going to try and take it apart this weekend and straighten it. I'm more concerned with the full turn of backlash in the compound.

I called KBC this morning...as it appears from the link someone else posted up that they were the original distributors for the machine, and they said DAR SIN has been out of business for 15 years and there are no manuals, replacement parts, or anything left anywhere for this machine. Hm. Enco was of no help either.

Rosco-P
02-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Why not try and kick start the three phase motor and see how the spindle bearings, gears and Q/C box sound, before putting any time and money into the lathe. With the gearbox in neutral, 220VAC applied to two of the three phases, you might be able to get the motor up to speed with just pull rope on the motor pulley, like an outboard motor. Failing that, a start cap temporarily connected between any of the phases and the third phase should work. The equivalent of a static phase converter.

lane
02-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Something to think about. I am not 100% sure but I seam to think a VFD want work on a 2 speed motor and I think yours has one. You will need a phase conveter rated for the highest HP the motor has . high may be 5HP and low may be 3HP. so check in to that before you jump of the deep end. Just a warning.

lbhsbz
02-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Why not try and kick start the three phase motor and see how the spindle bearings, gears and Q/C box sound, before putting any time and money into the lathe. With the gearbox in neutral, 220VAC applied to two of the three phases, you might be able to get the motor up to speed with just pull rope on the motor pulley, like an outboard motor. Failing that, a start cap temporarily connected between any of the phases and the third phase should work. The equivalent of a static phase converter.

I heard it run before I took it home from work...it sounded fine...Like a sewing machine...which is kinda wierd. My Clausing sounds like machine..a real machine..clunks, bangs, knocks, clacks....occasionally a gear will fly off the back...It's got "character"...the new lathe has none. It'll probably work right too. Not sure how I'll adapt to that. The dials are new too...the Clausing doesn't have dials anymore....LOL.

lbhsbz
02-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Something to think about. I am not 100% sure but I seam to think a VFD want work on a 2 speed motor and I think yours has one. You will need a phase conveter rated for the highest HP the motor has . high may be 5HP and low may be 3HP. so check in to that before you jump of the deep end. Just a warning.

OK, excellent point...which prompts questions.

Why, with a vari-speed transmission, so I need a 2 speed motor. Is it sort of instead of a back gear? I haven't played with it enough to see what's it got for gearing, and probably won't until I get it running. I'm trying to sort out all the electrical to see where everything goes for now, then figure out how to adapt it to single phase.

Thomas Staubo
02-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Did you replace it or straighten it?
I straightened it as best as I could do, but it's not easy. The "trick" is bending it back in the right place, and not make a double bend :).

lane
02-25-2011, 10:14 PM
OK, excellent point...which prompts questions.

Why, with a vari-speed transmission, so I need a 2 speed motor. Is it sort of instead of a back gear? I haven't played with it enough to see what's it got for gearing, and probably won't until I get it running. I'm trying to sort out all the electrical to see where everything goes for now, then figure out how to adapt it to single phase.

High range and low range of speeds. Look at it real close all the dial`s and switches . it will be self explanatory.