PDA

View Full Version : Gloat -well sort of.

mike4
02-25-2011, 04:55 AM
Went to the local tip today and while dropping off my rubbish I noticed that some fool had dropped off a full size acetalyene bottle and a full size oxygen cylinder , after a few quick words regarding safety to the tip operator I managed to load both into my work vehicle .

Now I have a full sized set of empties to take to BOC and swap for a pair of full ones ,something I have wanted for a while now as the small ones which are currently in the shop are always running out .

Why would someone dump the bottles in the tip , as I couldnt think of a more dangerous item to place in a hydraulic compactor .
Michael

Black_Moons
02-25-2011, 05:15 AM
Awsome score! And plus on the safty :)

Davo J
02-25-2011, 05:15 AM
They are probably not any good to you. A mate of mine has worked their at BOC for 10-12 years, and they have changed over to barcoded bottles for a few years now. You have to bring back the same bottles scanned on your account that you took last time. It's there way of stopping one account with numerous bottles, keeping track of bottles, etc.
They can't just give you another bottle because it is scanned when refilled and then on delivery and they have to answer to higher up.
I used to be able to get change overs but not any more, I can only get a partial refill from another full bottle into mine because of the barcode.

Dave

Peter.
02-25-2011, 07:07 AM
Same here in the UK but they don't do oxy just yet, or at least they weren't six months ago, they do only welding gases. I took some bottles for re-fill and got them mixed up with another contractors, but being oxy they said it was fine they aren't checked yet.

If try to get a moody bottle re-filled that you don't have on your account they might charge you rental for that bottle automatically. Only other way is to swap bottles with someone who does have a few on rental, but watch out for the barcode checking.

mike4
02-25-2011, 09:47 AM
They are probably not any good to you. A mate of mine has worked their at BOC for 10-12 years, and they have changed over to barcoded bottles for a few years now. You have to bring back the same bottles scanned on your account that you took last time. It's there way of stopping one account with numerous bottles, keeping track of bottles, etc.
They can't just give you another bottle because it is scanned when refilled and then on delivery and they have to answer to higher up.
I used to be able to get change overs but not any more, I can only get a partial refill from another full bottle into mine because of the barcode.

Dave
I will be taking them to the depot tomorrow and I will let everyone know the results , as when I spoke to the manager about refills and upgrades a few months ago and he did not mention any problems of the type that you mentioned.

Michael

luthor
02-25-2011, 05:16 PM
I think you will be wasting your time taking them back Mike, the BOC system does not allow a simple swap over and has not for a long time, the barcode system introduced about a year ago has made it even harder. As they own the cylinders they may want yours back but I doubt you will get replacements.

John Stevenson
02-25-2011, 05:29 PM
You need to buy them off the delivery driver, they have no problem with barcodes :D

fciron
02-25-2011, 06:33 PM
I don't know about Oz, but in the US there are both customer owned and rental bottles. If they won't fill them and the company owns them you may be able to collect on somebody else's deposit on the bottles. :cool:

Black_Moons
02-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Where I live (canada), for oxygen, argon, and other gases (Anything but actylene really) you can actualy get YOUR bottle refilled, as opposed to exchanged.. Don't even need any kinda recite/proof its your bottle.

Some places do the exchange however. I never go to them, because my bottle is a nice pristene condition (as I bought it new), And I don't want some ulgy ass bottle siting in my shop for the next couple years.
And when I get my actylene bottle exchanged (only place that refills them is a province away!), I ask them very politely to look for one with a decent paint job, as I only get it refilled every year or two and take care not to damage/repaint (overspray?) it. So far I have gotten some very nice looking bottles with only minimal scratchs.