PDA

View Full Version : CTC how do they stack up?

neksmerj
02-25-2011, 10:16 AM
I've just purchased an ER32 collet chuck and full set of collets for my Arboga EM825 mill. It hasn't arrived as yet, can't wait.

I want to throw my dough into additional tooling, how does CTC stack up for quality and price?

What swung me to CTC in the first place, was the immediate responses I received from them with email inquiries.

How has your experience been?

If you want to comment on the Arboga EM825 mill, I'm all ears. I've just purchased a VFD to run the 3-phase motor, so that's all sorted, I think.

I know that what ever MT3 arbor I get, it will have to be modified to stay put up the spout of the spindle. Reckon I've got that sorted as well.

Two grooves machined into each side of the arbor, and a C-washer to hold it in place.

Ken

GadgetBuilder
02-25-2011, 10:40 AM
I got an ER20 collet set and chuck from them and am happy with the quality and price. The only issue is the mailing cost - I didn't realize how useful these collets might be and should have ordered a couple different chucks so they could be used elsewhere. Unfortunately, mailing cost has delayed this while I think up something else I can order from them ;)

John

DICKEYBIRD
02-25-2011, 11:27 AM
I got an ER20 collet set and chuck from them and am happy with the quality and price. The only issue is the mailing cost - I didn't realize how useful these collets might be and should have ordered a couple different chucks so they could be used elsewhere. Unfortunately, mailing cost has delayed this while I think up something else I can order from them ;)

JohnEven if you add in the costs of their mandatory air freight, their collets & chucks are an outstanding value.

I ordered a set of ER32 collets and a chuck or 2 to check out the quality, then ordered up a full set of ER16 collets and a bunch of different chucks in both sizes and different shank styles for current projects and some down the road. All have been good stuff.

If you order collet sets, make sure and go to their individual collets page and look at all the different sizes. I found that the imperial collet sizes in both ER32 & ER16 had some gaps where the jump was in 1/16" instead of 1/32". I picked out (I think it was) 8 or 9 sizes in metric that filled in the gaps for me.

All of my regular (keyed & keyless) chucks in the mill and the lathe are now gathering dust as I don't use them anymore. The ER16/MT2/R8 chucks are great for drill bits from tiny to 3/8" in the lathe & the mill and the ER32/MT2/R8 works great for the big S&D bits. Less runout, no slippage and less overhang.

randyc
02-25-2011, 12:27 PM
I'd second the utility of the ER system.

I chose ER-40 and it is now on the horizontal mill, the vertical mill, the lathe spindle AND lathe tailstock plus the vertical head for the horizontal mill. I still use R-8 on the vertical for most milling applications and CAT-40 on the horizontal for heavy milling applications but I find that the ER-40 accomodates 80% of my needs and drill chucks are almost a thing of the past.

I'm getting tired of lifting a large rotary table for small work so I just bought a four-inch rotary table and an ER-40 collet chuck will be permanently mounted on it. You may need two sets of collets if you convert other machinery to ER since the one you need for the lathe will always be in the mill and vice-versa. It's not a big issue since the collets are inexpensive and the ones most frequently used in my experience are 1, 3/4, 1/2 and 3/8.

ammcoman2
02-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Very, very satisfied customer. And the quality of the stuff they sell ain't half bad!

Geoff

bob ward
02-26-2011, 07:41 AM
No problems with them so far, have something else in the system with them at the moment.

DICKEYBIRD
02-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Oh yeah, one other item I keep forgetting to get when I order from them is another ER32 chuck with a large straight shank to go in the 4 jaw. Randy will understand this.

When doing a run of parts that requires the 4 jaw and turning smaller round stock, it's a pain on our Emco (mine's a clone) lathes with the 3 bolt flanged chuck mount to switch back & forth between the 4 jaw & collet chuck. It's quicker to mount up a collet chuck in the 4 jaw and turn the small stuff than switch chucks or dial in each part in the 4 jaw. Switching chucks at the flange is an annoyance that's gets more irritating each time I do it.:rolleyes:

I ended up using the 1 1/4" straight shank version I bought earlier in a spindle project and need another one now. I think the through hole is 12 or 13 mm. Hopefully posting it here will make me remember.;)

gbritnell
02-26-2011, 04:28 PM
This has nothing to do with CTC tool but with ER 32 collets and holders.
I bought a Chinese set of ER32 collets and holder. The holder (R8 shank) ran true to my spindle but the collet taper was off .005. The set has been laying around for many months and rather than throw the whole thing away I thought I would buy a 'better' holder so I could use it. I ordered one from a large Chinese importer here in the States that I've had good luck with. The specs said .0002 runout at the collet nose. By the way it was $60.00 for the holder.
When it came I was impressed with the looks and finish so I hustled down to the shop to check it out. Well the O.D. of the holder had no perceptible runout on my tenths indicator but the collet taper was .0016 out. Damn, don't they check anything out before the sell it. I called the supplier and he asked if I would like a refund or another holder. I told him I would like a holder if I could get one that met the printed specs. He arranged for me to send the bad one back and when he gets it he will send out the new one.
The point of all of this is check the thing when you get it. I hope you have better luck than I have had with these holders.
gbritnell

Gravy
02-26-2011, 08:13 PM
I'd never heard of them until today. I tried to visit the website, but it seems that ctctools.biz doesn't exist in cyberspace at the moment...or at least that's what my browser tells me.:confused:

Lew Hartswick
02-26-2011, 08:21 PM
I'd never heard of them until today. I tried to visit the website, but it seems that ctctools.biz doesn't exist in cyberspace at the moment...or at least that's what my browser tells me.:confused:
I never heard of a dot biz try .com
...lew...

Gravy
02-26-2011, 08:38 PM
Comes up "This domain for sale":(

Lew Hartswick
02-26-2011, 09:16 PM
So I see. That is strange. ??????
...lew...

Gravy
02-26-2011, 09:50 PM
To quote Ricky Ricardo:"eez a pozzlement"

I hope it gets fixed soon. I'm really curious about what they offer.

johnc
02-26-2011, 10:14 PM
When I did a internet search, a few lines down had a link to a CTC ebay store.
I have no experience with the seller but it seems like it might be the same guy.

Gravy
02-26-2011, 10:41 PM
I found the same ebay store. I wonder if maybe CTC just screwed up and let their domain license expire. :confused:

Maybe we'll find out when somebody gets back to the office on Monday and tries to access the company website.

I hope they aren't gone. One of these days I may have a couple of bucks available to buy some more tooling.

Bill Pace
02-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Its down for me too ... can pull it up from cache, but not from bookmarks?

And it is .biz in the url.

The site is pretty awkward to navigate - at least was to me - but their prices was/are very good. I got several metric gear cutters from them at 12-15$ apiece with shipping being very reasonable, and the cutters seemed to be good quality - unfortunately they dont carry 14 1/2 and 20...

Mark Hockett
02-26-2011, 10:59 PM
I just got off the phone with Heine from CTC tools. He said he thinks the site is down for maintenance and should be back up soon. He is at a trade show and wont be back to his hotel to check on it for a few hours.

Gravy
02-26-2011, 11:19 PM
I'm betting that "down for maintenance" = "we're better with machine tooling than keeping up with interweb licenses"

If so, they sound like my kind of people.:)

Mark Hockett
02-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Heine found the problem and the CTC web site is back up.

dian
02-28-2011, 09:37 AM
cts has a 0.5 ct dressind diamond listed for 3$. do i really get a diamond for that money? i mean, its the price of a chewing gum.

lazlo
02-28-2011, 11:09 AM
cts has a 0.5 ct dressind diamond listed for 3$. do i really get a diamond for that money?

Chinese carats are like Chinese horsepower :)

dian
02-28-2011, 03:28 PM
wel, so i buy it or not? does that apply to all their products?

The Artful Bodger
02-28-2011, 04:00 PM
wel, so i buy it or not? does that apply to all their products?

CTC? Good service, good products, good price. Thats my experience and of just about everyone else I see who has dealt with them.