X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kenwc
    • Jul 2008

Lathe ID help?

Sheldon Lathe but I can't find another pic of this type or information. Not the greatest pic either but all I have. Anyone recognize this?
  • Kenwc
    • Jul 2008

This must be a rare bird...not even a guess so far. PO stated it was a Sheldon and that it has a pushbutton variable speed adjustment. He said you just press the same button for the next higher speed. He doesn't know anything else about it other than...er um...he only wants $200 for it.

Comment

• john11668
      • May 2010

This might be a useful contact
      Sheldon were based, originally, at 4258 North Knox Avenue, Chicago, USA, and made a range of machine tools including millers, shapers and lathes using their own as well as

Email Tony! Sounds like he is waiting to hear from you

Comment

• Kenwc
        • Jul 2008

Thanks...I did just that...

Comment

• rohart
          • Aug 2002

Tony's site doesn't have anything under Sheldon that looks like that. The press button bit ties up, though.

Sheldons have their gearbox and leadscrews very visible on the front.

This lathe may have the leadscrew buried within the bed, or under the cover plate or it's a plain lathe. It may well have a rack hidden under the cover plate, but it doesn't look as if there's a gearbox. I'd avoid a plain lathe - they just don't do enough for you.
          Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Why do you think it's a Sheldon? Is that a tach. built into the headstock? No leedscrew? Didn't think Sheldon made anything like that (2nd op, polishing or speed lathe) or a lathe with a Reeves type transmission.

Comment

• JCHannum
              • Nov 2001

In addition to the threadcutting lathes, Sheldon also made turret lathes and chucking machines.

With the lack of a tailstock, thread cutting gear box and leadscrew and the presence of the two cross slides, it is probably a variation of the 3-R turret lathe. It is difficult to tell from the fuzzy photo, and my catalog is 1962 vintage, but it appears to share many details of the one pictured. Sheldon offered a wide variety of accessories and tachs were available on most of their machines as as option as was an eletrically controlled varispeed speed adjuster.
              Jim H.

Comment

• Kenwc
                • Jul 2008

Thanks for all the input. This one had a tailstock bit it went missing at some point. At any rate a buddy of mine is getting it Monday and I was trying to see what I could find out about it....for $200 if it's only a toy...its a neat toy...

Comment

• JCHannum
                  • Nov 2001

I found a lot of Sheldon information here, scroll down to the bottom of the page for the ZM 13 turret lathe;

This website is for sale! machinemanuals.net is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, machinemanuals.net has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                  Jim H.

Comment

• J Tiers
                    • Jan 2004

That's a positive ID, I'd say.....
                    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• Kenwc
                      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by JCHannum
                      I found a lot of Sheldon information here, scroll down to the bottom of the page for the ZM 13 turret lathe;

http://www.machinemanuals.net/web_pa...rret_lathe.htm
                      Thanks....looks like you nailed it...

Comment

Working...
                      X