PDA

View Full Version : Kwik Way Boring bar

doctor demo
02-25-2011, 09:05 PM
I have a Kwik Way model "FN" boring bar that I have not used in 5-6 years and I am going to try and sell it.
I've been looking at Craigs list and e-bay to get an idea as to a reasonable asking price on it, but can't find a match.
Any ideas what a good used one is worth?

Steve

Rustybolt
02-25-2011, 09:14 PM
check ebay. That ought to give a ballpark idea.

lbhsbz
02-25-2011, 09:14 PM
It's unbeleivable how much money those things demand. I've been tooling up for cylinder head work and have come across quite a few boring bars....they seem to start at about $1500-$2000 and go up from there depending on what tooling you've got for it.

Let me know if you come up with a number...I might be interested...

doctor demo
02-25-2011, 09:26 PM
check ebay. That ought to give a ballpark idea.
Not so much.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kwik-Way-FN-boring-bar-NEW-/390211903227?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ada711efb

Steve

strokersix
02-25-2011, 09:48 PM
I paid $1000 for my old KW bar with setting mic and clamps about 10 years ago. I thought it was a lot of money at the time but they do seem to hold value. I've only used it a couple times but was quite impressed. Bores a nice straight hole and right on size.

Regarding the sharpening wheel on top of the motor: Mine doesn't do much. Is it just worn out or am I supposed to charge it with diamond abrasive?

Don Young
02-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Regarding the sharpening wheel on top of the motor: Mine doesn't do much. Is it just worn out or am I supposed to charge it with diamond abrasive?

All the sharpening wheels I have seen have been used with diamond grit which came with the boring bar in a small bottle with oil. Some wheels were bare metal and some had a leather facing. That was many years ago so it may not apply to more modern units.

Carld
02-25-2011, 11:33 PM
You don't use any grit with the KW honing wheel. There is a special oil that is used on them. The diamond part should be copper/brass looking and smooth and flat.

It doesn't cut fast, it just hones the cutting edges. The lapping takes some time and careful work. Read the instruction manual for how to sharpen the cutters. They come already shaped and all you have to do is keep the edge sharp.

DON'T use anything but the special oil on it. You should be able to get some from KwikWay.

strokersix
02-26-2011, 09:49 AM
My honing wheel looks like bare steel. No little bottle of oil. I sharpened the bits freehand with my bench grinder. Needed a different shape cutter for a sleeve job so I turned a lathe bit square shank to round to fit. This worked fine too.

I don't have an instruction manual nor do I know what model it is. Can someone identify it for me please?

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae131/strokersix/DSCN38261.jpg

Carld
02-26-2011, 03:16 PM
It may be an FS like mine. I think the prefex of the serial number should give the model type, that is FN, FS, etc. You can get manuals from KwikWay I think. I bought a CD with a whole bunch of manuals on it with sales brochures also.

If you can't find a manual let me know. A photo of the serial number would help. You can email to Kwikway at their site http://www.kwik-way.com/ for info.

johnd
02-26-2011, 03:40 PM
I've used mostly Van Norman & Rottler machines, not sure what Kwik-Way used for laps but the early VN machines used a steel wheel that was very lightly charged and had to be used with the proper abrasive charged oil or they would quit working. Later ones, or replacement wheels, were brass and had a much thicker layer of diamond. They were considered "lifetime" wheels.

Carld
02-26-2011, 03:52 PM
KwikWay has a steel wheel with a layer of diamond on the surface. It's located on top of the motor with a stud sticking up to put the cutter holders on. The holders have holes in them to locate and dress the different edges on the cutters. Kwikway provides several different cutters with different angles to do different jobs. They also have one for a square shoulder at the bottom of a bore or for cutting a counterbore at the top of a bore.

They still have some parts for the old machines and still supply the cutter bits.

I have the FS boring bar my uncle owned when he had a speed shop and I built my Flathead Ford racing engine with in the late 1950's. I was extremely pleased to get that boring bar and treasure it even though I don't often use it. It won't leave here until I die or am destitute and have to sell it.

doctor demo
02-26-2011, 04:10 PM
I have the FS boring bar my uncle owned when he had a speed shop and I built my Flathead Ford racing engine with in the late 1950's. I was extremely pleased to get that boring bar and treasure it even though I don't often use it. It won't leave here until I die or am destitute and have to sell it.

I knew They made an FS FN and FL and that they are different sizes , You don't happen to know what the size differences are do You?

Steve

doctor demo
02-26-2011, 04:14 PM
Let me know if you come up with a number...I might be interested...

PM Sent.

Steve

strokersix
02-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Carld: My bar says "SERIAL No F2433" What does this say about my model?

I'm not in any urgent need for a manual but it would be nice to at least know which machine I have.

Carld
02-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Your bar is a Model F and has a range of 2 1/32" to 5 5/16". The instructions I have are for bars with serial numbers over 2909 so it may not be the same for your bar but it would cover almost everything except for improvement changes.

Well, the CD I have has 23 different models of KwikWay boring bars and there may be more that I don't have on the CD. I could email you the pdf of your manual.

strokersix
02-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks Carld!

Carld
02-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Your welcome, hope the manual helps.