PDA

View Full Version : lathe bits?

J.Hayes
02-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Hello. I'm looking form some help identifying some tool blanks from my late step dad. I have the following
Latrobe crusader XL
Crucible REX 95
Crucible CMP Rex T-15
Anybody know what material these would work best on?
I turn a bit of everything all as a hobby on a 11 inch Sheldon
I have a Chinese bxa size QCTP and a lantern tool post with Armstrong holders.

Thanks
Jeremy

Forrest Addy
02-25-2011, 10:17 PM
All three are premium HSS tool blanks. They are very hard and perhaps better suited for fine feed finishes and hard and/or tough materials than roughing and heavy tock reduction.

Thomas Staubo
02-25-2011, 11:08 PM
All three are premium HSS tool blanks. They are very hard and perhaps better suited for fine feed finishes and hard and/or tough materials than roughing and heavy tock reduction. May I ask why? Are they too hard, and therefore brittle, and fracture easily ?

RussZHC
02-25-2011, 11:19 PM
http://www.latrobesteel.com/

look under the "technical" drop down. Tons of information, a comparison of those products to start with but also data sheets on each individual one.

Carld
02-25-2011, 11:29 PM
All are high quality HSS that have few equals. I don't think the stuff you get now is as good as those older pieces. Use the current American and Import for most your turning and save those for the important jobs.

I have a lot of the older stuff I save for special work.

rkepler
02-26-2011, 12:57 AM
The T-15 is a high tungsten HSS that's really nice for abrasive work. Lasts a good while when other stuff wears away. Not a lot of fun to hand grind.

The Rex-95 is a good steel as well. Holds an edge pretty well.

I don't recognize the Latrobe but their stuff was top notch.

J.Hayes
02-27-2011, 12:13 AM
Thanks to all for the great information. I appreciate it.