PDA

View Full Version : Nice tool drawers!!! FREEBIE!!! NADA!!!

torker
01-03-2004, 02:01 PM
I'm still cleaning the motel we took over and was trying to lift a big ol' cash register(things are unbelievably heavy) into the truck to take it to the dump when it dawned on me that the whole base was a very nice metal clad 2 drawer tool case that would fit perfectly under my SB. Looking at it from the front... it's 27"w, 17"d and 8"h. The drawers are 3"h and the cash drawers are made to order for machine bits and pieces. I took the spring loaded money holder downer gadgets out and the compartments are perfect for individual taps, drills etc. (All in their cases of course!). The bottom drawer... I took out the cash tray, put in some clean cardboard and it's perfect for a lot of my measuring tools etc. All it took to mount it under the lathe was 2- 15" pieces of angle welded underneath then 6- 1" sheet metal screws along the top. Note.. on mine, I popped the drawer bottoms out and reglued/nailed them in to be safe. These drawers have really heavy, well made metal drawer slides that operate silky smooth. Once I get it all painted up it'll look almost factory like. Yes I am a scrounge and a pack rat.

Evan
01-03-2004, 02:31 PM
Isn't that worth something in original condition?

torker
01-03-2004, 04:43 PM
Evan...the sorry thing is it would have been worth something if someone hadn't pirated a bunch of stuff off it. It's pretty neat, under the drawer is all the build info for it. It was a custom build for the BC Liquor Control Board. Built 1953 for the Greenwood BC. liquor store. Someone had taken a hammer after the keyboard and beat the daylights out of the rest of it. Looks like they were trying to get into it and didn't have a key. All you have to do is pop the back off and the drawer locks are right there. I was just at Crappy Tire and they sure have some slick looking tool drawer/ cash registers there! Hmmmm.....

Alistair Hosie
01-03-2004, 05:21 PM
Torker we owned a thirty bedroom hotel (small by American standards) but it was a lot of work, seven days a week 5 till 4 i e 5 o'clock in the morning till four the following morning, so good luck .
I have thrown away a lot of things I did not have room for or could not see a use at the time only to regret it later.
Very best of luck with your new find.
regards Alistair

torker
01-03-2004, 10:12 PM
Alistair... I agree with you about the long hours... you forgot to mention some off the a$$hats you have to deal with. Before this I had no idea such scum even existed. We only have 40 rooms but it's enough thank you. I'm lucky though... the wife does most of the managerial etc, this frees me up to work construction or pipeline or (better yet work in my shop! Before I get too old I want come visit your country. Russ