PDA

View Full Version : Quick & dirty follow-rest.

DICKEYBIRD
02-27-2011, 10:37 AM
I needed 2 ft of 5/16" aluminum rod for a paying job and all I could find on a weekend was 3/8".

I think it was Evan a while back that suggested this quickie solution for a similar problem and it worked well again. A piece of scrap angle iron and UHMW bolted to the carriage with a a hole drilled & reamed via the lathe chuck worked great! .375" down to .314" in one shot. I switched from carbide to sharp HSS after the pic because the carbide refused to cut down that far. Flex in the shaft I guess. After the cut, I filed & polished by hand for the final finish.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/DBAviation/FollowRest.jpg

Lew Hartswick
02-27-2011, 11:23 AM
I would have tried putting the follow on the "following" side of the cut.
But what do I know, I've never done it. :-)
...lew...

dalee100
02-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Hi,

Putting the follow on the other side gets to be too far from the work area to be useful for holding the work steady. And it will leave marks on the finished side. Something you don't generally want.:)

A good "in a pinch" solution Dickybird!

dalee

doctor demo
02-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Putting the follow on the other side gets to be too far from the work area to be useful for holding the work steady. And it will leave marks on the finished side. Something you don't generally want.:)
dalee

So it isn't really a follow rest it is a leader rest, amateurs:D

Fast and effective when used as directed
Nice job, I'll have to try to remember that one.

Steve

DICKEYBIRD
02-27-2011, 01:57 PM
....amateurs:DDangit! A feller can't get away with nuthin' around here.;)

Frank Ford
02-27-2011, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't say "quick an dirty," but "quick and EASY."

That one's going into my idea book right now. . .

MrSleepy
02-27-2011, 02:50 PM
I think it was Evan

Where does he post now?..

Rob

DICKEYBIRD
02-27-2011, 03:54 PM
That one's going into my idea book right now. . .Holy cow, I'm going into Frank Ford's idea book!!!

Surely I get some kinda lapel pin or merit badge or something!:D

DICKEYBIRD
02-27-2011, 03:56 PM
Where does he post now?..

RobRob there was a post here a while back with a link to an astronomy board that Evan posts on. I miss him around here too.

Lew Hartswick
02-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Hi,

dalee
I don't follow that. I could put it just as close to the tool on the "following" side as the leading side and if the HDPE material scars a peice of aluminium I wonder about the aluminium. :-)
...lew...

wierdscience
02-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Looks good to me,and unlike the factory rests it can be put wherever it's needed.I like it!

MichaelP
02-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Actually, this kind of rest exists in a slightly different format: with intechangeable bushings.

This one (tool holder/follow rest combo) has a screw in the back that moves the tool bit.

http://www.chipmaker.ru/uploads/monthly_02_2011/post/thumb/post-5314-022928800%201297413379_thumb.jpg

Don Young
02-27-2011, 09:58 PM
So it isn't really a follow rest it is a leader rest, amateurs:D

Fast and effective when used as directed
Nice job, I'll have to try to remember that one.

Steve
I kinda like the British term: 'traveling steady'. As opposed to: 'fixed steady'.

dalee100
02-27-2011, 10:46 PM
I don't follow that. I could put it just as close to the tool on the "following" side as the leading side and if the HDPE material scars a peice of aluminium I wonder about the aluminium. :-)
...lew...

Hi,

You could mount the bracket on the far side of the saddle. but then you would need to reach all the way across the saddle to the tool. This would tend to make for an awkward and clumsy setup.

Next thing is, you still need to support the work piece ahead of the cut zone. Supporting the work behind the cut will still allow it flex away from the tool.

And if you are spinning the piece as close to the proper speed as you can get, HDPE will leave marks on aluminum. Maybe it might not matter much if you file and then polish with sand paper. But if you need as round as possible, such options aren't always a choice.

dalee