PDA

View Full Version : Multifix now half price

aboard_epsilon
02-27-2011, 03:10 PM
See that there is now a china man selling these on ebay at half the price of the UK guys Chinese copy sets.

is there anyone here with loads of spare dosh willing to buy one of these sets ..and give us the verdict /report on them.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Multifix-40-position-toolholder-type-Aa-mini-Lathe-/200580126809?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item2eb381d859

this set maybe ideal for the southbend 9

all the best.markj

hardtail
02-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Wow that is cheap, way more than half off the genuine Swiss original......wonder if they interchange with the real McCoy??

Having purchased an Aloris knockoff how about you givin em a try.....? GRIN

Alistair Hosie
02-27-2011, 03:42 PM
I can't use these Guys. If you hear of anymore of the real Mcoy I.E. Drehblitz tool holders mark please let me know.Alistair

Black Forest
02-28-2011, 01:19 PM
I will order a couple of the tool holders but not the post. If the quality is any good then I will order some more.

I need about ten more tool holders and if I buy the real deal it adds up to quite a bit of money! I need the C size.

I don't know if that helps but I will give it a shot.

aboard_epsilon
02-28-2011, 01:41 PM
OK thanks ..think they should be hardend ..so do a hardness test on them .

My others i bought from Germany ...you could not cut them with a hacksaw blade ..that was my rough and ready hardness test (didnt really try to cut them ..just one stroke sort of thing test .

interesting ..is that the german ones i suspect are chinese also ...despite having made in Germany on them.

I carry a broken hacksaw blade around with me when I'm car booting ..to ID HSS and the like ..'cause there are a lot of "door spindles" out there ... this method has served me good so far .
..you know its hss .the hacksaw blade will barely scratch ..Im not saying the tool holders should be hss though ...just reasonably hard

all the best.markj

doug931
02-28-2011, 02:00 PM
I can testify that the Chinese do make a good quality copy of the Multifix. All the parts are interchangble with the Swiss version.( I have both)
The seller is a little vaque about the sizing of his toolposts.
While he does not list them, other types of tool holder are available
- 40mm boring bar holder, with mt#2 and mt #3 arbors.
-ID and OD, retractable threading tools
I bought a set a couple of years ago from Bob in Regina. He was inporting them directly from China.
Just recently I scored a full set of the genuine Swiss multifix toolpost, including the retractable threading tools on E-Bay. Nine pieces in all.
Doug in Cold Lake.

Andrew_D
02-28-2011, 11:04 PM
I bought a set a couple of years ago from Bob in Regina. He was inporting them directly from China.

Doug in Cold Lake.

I'm always looking for Canadian sources....

Who is Bob in Regina and what's his phone/email/website/whatever?

Andrew

macona
02-28-2011, 11:08 PM
I have a genuine suisse multifix post as well and all of my tool holders are from shars. They work perfectly. Only bad thing is, as usual, the screws.

Robin R
02-28-2011, 11:14 PM
I'm always looking for Canadian sources....

Who is Bob in Regina and what's his phone/email/website/whatever?

Andrew

I think you will find it's this Bob, you'll find his email in his profile. http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/newall-made-china-219250/

Black Forest
03-03-2011, 02:49 PM
I heard back from this company. They don't sell to Germany. I think they wholesale to someone here. Their English was not so great! I wrote back and asked if they could refer me to their distributor here. We will see.

Alistair Hosie
03-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Mark if it says made in Germany it will be for sure.The Germans don't want anyone saying made in Germany on Chinese schrott,believe me any more than we or the Americans would stand for it. I remember you buying these you got a good deal and there German.:DAlistair

Michael Moore
03-03-2011, 04:07 PM
I have a copy of a Multifix brochure in this folder on my website in case anyone needs to check sizes:

http://www.eurospares.com/graphics/metalwork/multifixbrochure/

cheers,
Michael

aboard_epsilon
03-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Mark if it says made in Germany it will be for sure.The Germans don't want anyone saying made in Germany on Chinese schrott,believe me any more than we or the Americans would stand for it. I remember you buying these you got a good deal and there German.:DAlistair

that statement isn't true ..some of the time

i have a triumph stag ..and lot of parts for that say made in Germany ..when its been proved that they haven't ...many times over ..the Germans import stuff from china and put their made in Germany logo on it ..

The holders i have with made in Germany on them ..are identical to the Chinese ones ..the Chinese ones are not identical to the originals ..because they have light blue paint on them.

and the German ones have light blue paint on them ..

not sure if the original company still makes them .

having said all that ..the ones i have, that have made in Germany on them are very good quality.

all the best.markj

aboard_epsilon
03-03-2011, 04:11 PM
I heard back from this company. They don't sell to Germany. I think they wholesale to someone here. Their English was not so great! I wrote back and asked if they could refer me to their distributor here. We will see.

sent you a PM

all the best.markj

Arthur.Marks
03-03-2011, 05:09 PM
not sure if the original company still makes them
I know one of them does. I seem to find debate over which is the "original". My understanding is the Swiss version, but that may be incorrect... Tool holder system MULTIFIX (http://www.brw.ch/shop/produkte/index.html?t_Method=Catalog&t_Node=642269&t_CID=1)
It is rather strange how many of the "old world" tooling companies in Switzerland don't have an internet presence. My other favorite example, Tripan. I have bought those new, and they are most assuredly in business. Yet, not a single page of web presence.

gwilson
03-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Have you noticed the multifix is an A size for mini lathes?????