PDA

View Full Version : Pool Pump Motor

daveo
02-27-2011, 06:02 PM
I have a pool pump and motor, works fine. Any reason to not trash it? Uses?

Its not even a spare, its totally different than the one on my pool. I got too much junk!!!

winchman
02-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Send it to me. I have a friend who needs one.

macona
02-27-2011, 06:46 PM
They are pretty high speed, 3450 RPM usually, though some are two speed and there are some new ones that are full variable speed.

Had one for a long time and never used it. Didnt have a lot of torque for what we needed.

DICKEYBIRD
02-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Heck no, don't throw it away! A friend gave me one with wallered out pump & motor shaft. I fixed the shaft, trashed the rest and made a buffer/polisher out of it. Cheap! (I love cheap.)

mc_n_g
02-27-2011, 07:50 PM
I would say no because they are continuous duty motors and normally .75hp or larger.

lakeside53
02-28-2011, 02:37 AM
They tend to have non-standard shafts with threaded ends. If you want a pump, that's one thing, but as a general purpose motor, it gets harder to use them.

Cami
02-28-2011, 03:25 AM
If you decide to scrap it ask your scrap dealer if they have a better price for motors before throwing it in with your regular scrap.

daveo
02-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Heck no, don't throw it away! A friend gave me one with wallered out pump & motor shaft. I fixed the shaft, trashed the rest and made a buffer/polisher out of it. Cheap! (I love cheap.)

I may try this. Good idea!

J Tiers
02-28-2011, 09:37 AM
A special end might be an issue, but I have a 1725 rpm TEFC motor that was a poolpump replacement which I am using on my air compressor. Regular shaft.

Cost me a big $5 new and unused...... the smaller motor is good for the compressor because it has to run from an inverter and battery solar setup in a shed. I turned down the pulley to compensate for less power.

justanengineer
02-28-2011, 09:44 AM
I did a few seperate projects with them when I was in high school. One involved watering a rather remote piece of lawn using a pond as the water supply to avoid needing hundreds of feet of garden hose (the land owner had plenty of extension cord). The other (for same owner) was a homebrew water fountain for his lawn using the pump and a small nozzle to increase the pressure. Since you have the pump I say use it. Electric motors are a dime a dozen, so no use wasting a perfectly good pump.

Machinery related idea - how about using it to add coolant to a machine?