PDA

View Full Version : RGD tools from the UK

cole7015
02-28-2011, 02:24 AM
Hello

Has any one bought from RGD tools from the UK?
This was an Ebay purchase that I did. I ordered a die holder Over all the item is OK and the quality is nice. But 2 things have to be modified to fit an Emco compact 5 lathe.

The description say it will fit an MT1 tail stock which it does, but the handle for turning is to long to clear the lath bed for a compact 5 and will have to be shortened.

Another issue is that there is a set screw to hold the die in place which looks like it was punched instead of drilled.
So the tapped hole is egg shaped.

The only way to fix this is to drill a larger hole for a new set screw.

Over all service and shipping time was great for the UK.

They have some more things I want to order.

Here is a link to what I purchased.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370309271205&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Looking for feedback from other members .

thanks William

Ian B
02-28-2011, 04:40 AM
William,

I've bought plenty of items from them, both via Ebay and by visiting their aladdin's cave near hebden bridge. 100% happy - nice people, always have interesting stuff in stock, including some used machinery.

I know that they've set up some manufacturing in China - they sell a tiny, 45mm diameter 4 jaw chuck that feels like silk when you adjust the jaws - really nice.

I'm certainly happy buying from them.

Ian

joegib
02-28-2011, 04:54 AM
Hi William,

This pattern of tailstock dieholder isn't intended to be pushed through a full revolution so the fact that the lever fouls the lathe bed if you try to do that is beside the point. The way to use it is:

1. Advance the tailstock so that the die/dieholder is in contact with the workpiece.

2. Fit the key in one of the chuck keyholes and continue holding it with your left hand.

3. Push the dieholder lever forward through, say, a quarter turn while resisting the turning thrust by holding the chuck key steady (die starts cutting).

4. Back off the die by pulling the dieholder lever backwards to clear the swarf you've just cut (while still holding the chuck key steady).

5. Pull the chuck key backwards (towards you) by a quarter turn and push the dieholder lever forward by a like amount.

6. Continue in this way until the the thread is fully formed noting that you'll need to re-position the chuck key from time to time as the chuck revolves with the workpiece. (Don't forget the backing off stage either).

In this way, it's the chuck that goes through complete revolutions, not the dieholder so it doesn't matter how long the latter's lever is.

As regards the poorly formed die setscrew you could fix it yourself by drilling, and tapping the screw hole for the next appropriate metric/imperial setscrew size up. You might have to form a thin point on the end to match the die dimple/split. Or you can send the holder back to RDG for a refund.

I've had mixed experiences with RDG stuff. In their favour they make no difficulty about replacing or refunding payment for defective stuff. But frankly I'd rather they applied better quality control so their customers don't have the hassle of sorting out problems (especially if they're an ocean and a continent away!).

Joe

John Stevenson
02-28-2011, 05:12 AM
The vast majority of RDG's products are Indian from different sources so quality can vary.

Stuart Br
02-28-2011, 05:13 AM
I have bought from RDG on many occasions, excellent customer service. I would definitely recommend.

cole7015
02-28-2011, 06:06 AM
thanks for replies. Joe your comments were very helpful.

william

DaveC
02-28-2011, 06:39 AM
I have got loads of tools and bits from RDG, always very quick and quality if fine for the cost and they have always been helpful. I always buy my bits direct and not through e-bay any more, it's a bit cheaper and with your first order you should have got a discount card, it's only 5% but every little helps...

Dave

MrSleepy
02-28-2011, 08:43 AM
I've bought quite a bit off them..only had a couple of issues..but they resolved the problem immediately..

Rob

john11668
02-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Likewise I have bought a bit of stuff.
Not premium quality but OK for the price.
Tool bits and stuff generally OK, but if it has moving parts expect a bit of slack

On the plus side the discount is usually available to anyone who is not buying though Ebay. Phone for a voucher number and order from their own website

aboard_epsilon
02-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Ive bought stuff off a lot of ebay sellers ..by far the most troublesome have been RDG purchases .I no longer buy off RDG.. since about 2 years ago

Non delivery and lots of phone calls..lost items ..wrong items sent...
damaged stuff.........short changed at harogate show..by very good fortune a complete stranger by the side of me, told him, he witnessed me hand over the 20..otherwise i would have been stuffed...that item was a ratchet tap holder ...only when i examined it at home..i found that it was bent.

out of about 12 items i bought off them ..i think only 2 worked out OK.

best Tool dealers, that Ive had no trouble with on ebay are chesterukltd and
chronos_ltd_engineering_supplies

All the best.markj

Alistair Hosie
02-28-2011, 12:21 PM
I havent had any probs with them they are a good company.They will give you a 5% discount for non paypal items. Alistair.

Rustybolt
02-28-2011, 12:52 PM
I just recently ordered from them on ebay. Very pleased with the product and delivery.

MrSleepy
02-28-2011, 12:59 PM
best Tool dealers, that Ive had no trouble with on ebay are chesterukltd and
chronos_ltd_engineering_supplies

All the best.markj

I've had good service from RotaGrip....http://rotagriponline.com/

They carry both the RGD standard of gear aswell as the higher quality items.

Rob

aboard_epsilon
02-28-2011, 01:03 PM
I've had good service from RotaGrip....http://rotagriponline.com/

They carry both the RGD standard of gear aswell as the higher quality items.

Rob

Rotogrip or Ford Eight is the chap selling the Chinese multifix at twice the price as in the ebay link the other day i posted.

seems to sell everything at very high prices ..but may not be so high compared to the USA sellers though

all the best.markj

Alistair Hosie
02-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Arc euro trade is good for prices their stuff is very much in keeping with most Chinese sellers but their prices are very good imho.Alistair

cole7015
03-04-2011, 12:49 AM
I will say the transaction turned out very good, and thanks to all that responded as well. They discounted off the price for my troubles. Said they will take it up with the manufacture. Goes a long way with me.

william

I havent had any probs with them they are a good company.They will give you a 5% discount for non paypal items. Alistair.

uncle pete
03-04-2011, 08:12 AM
I bought a Vertex universal dividing head from them. Everything went fine. The shipping hurt like hell tho.

Pete

aboard_epsilon
03-04-2011, 08:23 AM
seems I'm just unlucky then .. :confused:

All the best.markj

neksmerj
03-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Just keep in mind, you can expect the 20% VAT, to be deducted from your final price.

VAT is not applicable to non EU countries.

eBay doesn't seem to be able to handle this anomaly if the seller is in the UK.

You have to purchase direct.

Ken

mike os
03-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Another plus for RDG here..... nice to deal with & OK stuff

Stuart Br
03-04-2011, 01:50 PM
I will second comment the Vertex stuff, it is good, had a milling vice and an indexer from them via RDG.