PDA

View Full Version : A Nice On-Topic Article in the Toronto Globe and Mail

ckelloug
02-28-2011, 02:50 AM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/the-albertan-metal-collector-behind-a-new-oil-sands-upgrader/article1922620/

JCHannum
02-28-2011, 10:09 AM
Here's a link to the museum website. Plan on spending a couple of hours there;

http://www3.museumofmaking.org/dbtw-wpd/machine.htm

Arthur.Marks
02-28-2011, 11:20 AM
I now want to visit Calgary :) That is amazing!

Shuswap Pat
02-28-2011, 11:34 AM
I have been there - and it is amazing. Almost sureal -as it is all underground.

camdigger
02-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Humph, Can't be more than a dozen blocks away from my office, but I've never heard of it. Either it is a well kept secret, or I need to get out more.

mygrizzly1022
02-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Hi

I am with you on the secret thing. I had a look at their website and they tell you all about it with video and all but… they don’t tell you where it is…..
They refer to administrative offices down town but I doubt if it is in the city.. So they have some neat stuff but they are hiding it!!!:)

Regards ...Bert

sasquatch
02-28-2011, 06:38 PM
I Found this site a few years ago, a beautiful fascinating collection!!!!!!!

RussZHC
02-28-2011, 06:41 PM
What is it that, as Canadians, leads us to this tendency to hide such things?
Or, as in more cases, make it so obscure/hidden, it becomes very difficult to find. There are numerous vehicle and military museums/exhibits that spring to mind; while maybe not everyone's cup of tea, it is all part of our history.

I have heard of this museum before but was left with the distinct impression it was physically located near to the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa...learn something here everyday I guess.

Mcgyver
02-28-2011, 07:18 PM
If you guys read the first four lines of the article you'd know it was below grade on his ranch property. :D

downtown no doubt are his business offices. betcha he started collecting personally on his ranch and it got to the size where it mades sense for tax reasons to make it a museum

The museum in Ottawa is the Science and technology museum, a great place. There is a fantastic triple expansion marine engine there as well as several steam locomotives, all indoors. The stationairy engine MacGregor has is something though!

its great there guys like him spending money to preserve this stuff, they've got to be far and few between

camdigger
03-01-2011, 05:35 AM
If you guys read the first four lines of the article you'd know it was below grade on his ranch property. :D

downtown no doubt are his business offices. betcha he started collecting personally on his ranch and it got to the size where it mades sense for tax reasons to make it a museum

The museum in Ottawa is the Science and technology museum, a great place. There is a fantastic triple expansion marine engine there as well as several steam locomotives, all indoors. The stationairy engine MacGregor has is something though!

its great there guys like him spending money to preserve this stuff, they've got to be far and few between

...and yet their website gives no clue as to the collection's whereabouts or any opportunity to view. Best kept secret indeed. I think you have it nailed - now he wants a tax cut as a museum.

Not a total loss though, the website has a links page that is virtually a who's who as far as steam clubs and events across southern Alberta.