PDA

View Full Version : Nice manual Japanese mill.. (new)

.RC.
02-28-2011, 06:31 AM
Whilst googling a 1969 model mill going up for auction down here I came across the manufacturer who is still making them decades later...

Nice looking machines for manual ones...

I imagine Sir John would like one of these to replace his bridgy... I know I would..

http://www.shizuokatekko.jp/english/seihin_01.html

49MB video of the turret mill http://www.shizuokatekko.jp/english/video/VHR-SD.wmv

.RC.
03-01-2011, 06:54 AM
Well I thought it a nice mill.... More rigid then the bridgeport...

PaulT
03-01-2011, 07:23 PM
I'm stunned to see these mills are still in production, its got to be the best manual knee mill currently available new.

There are a lot of used models of these out here on the west coast in California but not as manual machines, they were all retrofitted (apparently by a local importer) with CNC and were very popular here for a while.

I believe the Fadal company got its start by designing and marketing an automatic tool changer for these machines.

Paul T.
www.power-t.com

wierdscience
03-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Those are some fine looking machines,wonder what they cost? Iwould bet $15-18,000 for the b-port sized knee mill,maybe more.

Dr Stan
03-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Reminds me more of the Cincinnati Toolmaker especially as it weighs in at 2100 kg, or approx 4600 lbs. Still one good looking mill. I've run some manual Japanese machines which were very good, but never this particular brand.

sansbury
03-02-2011, 12:43 AM
Those are some fine looking machines,wonder what they cost? Iwould bet $15-18,000 for the b-port sized knee mill,maybe more.

IIRC a new Bridgeport gets north of $20k pretty fast, and it doesn't have to sail across the Pacific, not to mention a good deal less iron to it.

Mcgyver
03-02-2011, 09:09 AM

sign me up for a vertical and horizontal. 2 full sized, new, first world mills for the cost of a car? Seems more than reasonable by historical comparisons....but we've developed a twisted view of value brought on by the third world stuff, then we whine about it's quality.

If I was doing it over again I'd considering paying for having everything perfect from the get go, the machine tool reconditioning is the slow boat to a quality shop. Of course the journey's been fun and building a shop with minimal cost base is part of the hobby....but it might have been a more rational decision 15 years ago to just buy two big heavy, new, high quality mills

wierdscience
03-02-2011, 09:26 AM
IIRC a new Bridgeport gets north of $20k pretty fast, and it doesn't have to sail across the Pacific, not to mention a good deal less iron to it.

Ya,but I was surprised once when we quoted a customer for a new surface grinder.The Japanese made Okamoto was about $1500 less for 1,000lbs more grinder than a Taiwanese made Kent and the Okamoto included the wheel dresser Kent wanted an extra $800 for.

jkilroy
03-02-2011, 11:08 PM
I have run a couple of Shizuoka horizontals and they are quality machines, very solid, and easy to use.

gwilson
03-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Bridgeports were made in Singapore last I heard. So,they sailed the Pacific,too!!

stoneaxe
03-03-2011, 04:12 PM
That is a beauty of a combo vertical and horizontal mill. The VHR-G

PeteF
03-03-2011, 05:25 PM
Bridgeports were made in Singapore last I heard. So,they sailed the Pacific,too!!

Shipping containers are much cheaper than people may imagine and a 20 ft container will take around 20 Tonnes. The increase cost on a mill these sizes is miniscule, a few hundred bucks each!

ken
03-03-2011, 05:42 PM
These mills are in a class of there own I dont think that you could find a better quilty knee mill out there. I missed one a few years ago that was like new but was about 10 years old. they are a Machine that whene you walk up to it you know that you have walked up to a machine of quilty. the guy selling it told me that he had sold this machine new and at the time it was about 30,000 ? ken

.RC.
03-03-2011, 06:10 PM
So I should have bid on this one then?

This is the one that made me google the name and model and found the manufacturer

http://www.graysonline.com/lot/0007-67993/manufacturing/shizuoka-vertical-horizontal-turret-milling-machine

Black_Moons
03-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Yea I don't get how a $20,000+ car that will last 10 years, costing thousands of dollars in repair bills in the meantime before being thrown out for scrap or sold for pennys on the dollar, is somehow affordable, while a mill or machining center that costs $20,000 and will likey only cost thousands in repairs if you screw something up, and likey be resold for more then the equvilent car and actualy PRODUCE things and maybe make money in the meantime, isent affordable.

PS: Diy repair work on a mill/lathe = 100x easyer and nicer to do then on ANY car.

Even if you gotta take the entire mill/lathe apart, Its likey easyer to do then getting at the last sparkplug on your damn car. Or the water pump, or fuel pump, or starter solenoid, or heater core, or anything else thats likey to fail in 5 years and WELL KNOWN since 10 models ago that it does fail every 5 years.

PeteF
03-03-2011, 06:18 PM
So I should have bid on this one then?

No, you should definitely NOT have bid on this. You already have too many tools and we're all quite jealous as it is, never mind if you added this to your stable :p

.RC.
03-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Well the lack of Z axis power feed (only rapids) plus no universal table put me off, as well as the price which would have been a minimum of $5000 landed at my place..

wierdscience
03-03-2011, 10:55 PM

The VS drive heads are/were made in Singapore,not the motor or rest of the mill head.

dalee100
03-03-2011, 11:10 PM
Yea I don't get how a $20,000+ car that will last 10 years, costing thousands of dollars in repair bills in the meantime before being thrown out for scrap or sold for pennys on the dollar, is somehow affordable, while a mill or machining center that costs $20,000 and will likey only cost thousands in repairs if you screw something up, and likey be resold for more then the equvilent car and actualy PRODUCE things and maybe make money in the meantime, isent affordable.

PS: Diy repair work on a mill/lathe = 100x easyer and nicer to do then on ANY car.

Even if you gotta take the entire mill/lathe apart, Its likey easyer to do then getting at the last sparkplug on your damn car. Or the water pump, or fuel pump, or starter solenoid, or heater core, or anything else thats likey to fail in 5 years and WELL KNOWN since 10 models ago that it does fail every 5 years.

Hi,

You haven't rebuilt many machine tools yet have you. I wish I still had your optimism.;)

I am amazed to see these are still available. Like so many other things, I would have thought that time and technology would have put them out of business.

For most shops today, there is very little reason to waste that kind of money on a manual machine. CNC machines are readily available for around the same cost.

dalee

.RC.
03-03-2011, 11:58 PM
CNC machines are readily available for around the same cost.

dalee

Maybe poor quality or small ones...