PDA

View Full Version : O.T. New census

GRH
02-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Any one else get one of these 20+pages of garbage ???????????
they say I was selected at random ???????
This form is so intrusive, that I refuse to fill it out.
I claim the 5th.

Graeme

winchman
02-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Are you sure it's really from the US Census Bureau? I thought all the data collecting was done done. See: http://www.census.gov/survey_participants/related_information/phishing_email_scams_bogus_census_web_sites.html

duckman
02-28-2011, 11:45 AM
What is the address that it wants to be returned to, that will be the tip off, take it to the PO and ask them if this is legit.

bruto
02-28-2011, 12:10 PM
I got the "American Community Survey," and it is indeed intrusive and obnoxious, but not nearly as obnoxious as the census people who kept harrassing me about getting it done. It's supposed to be anonymous at their end, but one wonders, since they obviously already knew my effing phone number. I did it anyway, but not happily.

Yow Ling
02-28-2011, 01:35 PM
we were having a census this year, but its been cancelled due to earthquake. only twice before it was cancelled 1931 during depression and 1941 due to war.

MrSleepy
02-28-2011, 02:10 PM
The UK will begin its census in a month or so..

Its going to be a 32 page affair (the most intrusive yet by all accounts) and if I refuse to fill it in.. I win a 1000 ($1600) fine..

And the main contract went to Lockheed Martin ..so it may have arrived already by stealth..

Rob

rohart
02-28-2011, 02:38 PM
But there's nothing to say how accurate you have to be. I've heard their questions are questionable to say the least, so I guess the answers can to be too.

I mean, they're not going to peer in your window to see what religious icon you kneel before, are they ?

Anyway, people don't matter any more - just their money.

Interviewed this AM was a fellow who writes the software that scans news articles to create scores for various stocks and bonds. The scores tell the investment software whether to buy or sell. Scary.

Allan Waterfall
02-28-2011, 02:56 PM
The UK one this year will will probably want to know if you're gay or not,and if not why not,and if you aren't the summons to appear in court will follow soon after.

Allan

aboard_epsilon
02-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Wonder if they will ask you what your email address is .

I can just see it now

How many bedrooms do you have ..
do you live on your own ..
what faith are you

Few months later ..you have been chosen to compulsory host refugees from Libya, Egypt and Tunisia...and you will be required to change your faith from Christian to Muslim

all the best.markj

DougC_582
02-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Any one else get one of these 20+pages of garbage ???????????
they say I was selected at random ???????
This form is so intrusive, that I refuse to fill it out.
I claim the 5th.

I got one, but,,,,,, the (USA) census was totaled in 2010. The actual counting was done a year or two before that. Which was when I got mine. Maybe yours got lost in the mail until now?,,,,,,

There is a law on the books that provides a fine for providing false information to the census bureau. The maximum fine is $500 IIRC.

There is not a law providing any penalty for refusing to participate however. I just tossed mine in the trash. Door-knockers came around a couple times. I ignored them too.

---------

I dislike the census because the main task its data is used for now is jerrymandering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrymandering) voting districts. Many of the questions are plainly ethnic/race-oriented and are identified with a specific street address. There is no other use that would require such data.

A lot of the government uses census data in one way or another, but most of the rest of the uses focus on data that already existed in their ownership anyway, there is simply no method set up for different government agencies to share data.

John Stevenson
02-28-2011, 03:16 PM
More than likely want an email address but now's the time to get a throw a way hotmail account.

Black_Moons
02-28-2011, 03:18 PM
I dislike the census because the main task its data is used for now is jerrymandering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrymandering) voting districts. Many of the questions are plainly ethnic/race-oriented and are identified with a specific street address. There is no other use that would require such data.

A lot of the government uses census data in one way or another, but most of the rest of the uses focus on data that already existed in their ownership anyway, there is simply no method set up for different government agencies to share data.

Yea, Any time you end up with districts like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/99/Illinois_District_4_2004.png
You know something is seriously screwed up in the old 'democratic' system.

TGTool
02-28-2011, 07:27 PM
IIRC there was a case that went to court a few years ago in some state, maybe Texas, over the redistricting. Each party of course tries to manage the process in its own favor. I think in this case the plaintiff lost (whichever party that was) with the court ruling that the legislators weren't doing their job if they weren't jiggering it as best they could. I guess it's just an extension of the duty of care or fiducial responsibility requirement. If you're a financial advisor you're required by law to give your client the best possible advice. So how does that translate for a politician? You're irresponsible in your job if you're not twisting the system to the advantage of the interests of those who have paid for your election to congress? These days I guess that would be corporations or the Koch brothers. :(

sasquatch
02-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Did you recieve this form in your,e regular mail??

If it didn,t come by Registered mail,,(That you had to sign for,) just chuck it.
I refuse to sign anything unless it came by registered mail, as they have no proof you recieved it, unless you had to sign for it.

GRH
03-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Now they keep calling me, wonder where they got my phone #, we now let it ring and then check the answering machine.
Curious to know how many people refuse to give out all their personal information.
Washington knows tooooo much already.

GRH.

lazlo
03-03-2011, 07:19 PM
IIRC there was a case that went to court a few years ago in some state, maybe Texas, over the redistricting. Each party of course tries to manage the process in its own favor. (

That's true -- Texas make a fine art out of gerrymandering. These are our current congressional districts:

http://www.sourcewatch.org/images/8/89/108_small.png

Black_Moons
03-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Why do people put up with such clear, public abuse of the political system?

sasquatch
03-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Public census reminds me of the problem farmers are putting up with.
I believe it,s called NAIS, (Possibly the National Animal identification system), something like that,,, were they want farmers big and small to register every horse,mule,donkey,cow,chicken,pig,lamb and on and on.
Not sure of the whole procedure, but it,s getting a lot of press and angry farmers feedback.

BigMike782
03-03-2011, 10:11 PM
So your saying there is something crooked about Chicago politics?:eek: :) :)

38_Cal
03-03-2011, 10:56 PM
So your saying there is something crooked about Chicago politics?:eek: :) :)

Yeah, but at least they're consistent! :rolleyes:

David

DougC_582
03-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Public census reminds me of the problem farmers are putting up with.
I believe it,s called NAIS, (Possibly the National Animal identification system), something like that,,, were they want farmers big and small to register every horse,mule,donkey,cow,chicken,pig,lamb and on and on.
Not sure of the whole procedure, but it,s getting a lot of press and angry farmers feedback.
Well,,,,,,, farmers get a lot of government money too. The reason your car won't run right is because somebody got the bright idea that if fuel was required to contain ethanol, corn farmers would be able to sell a lot more corn.

To that end--I think the BEST form of tax would be a per-foot tax on real estate (improvements or location don't count, just the square-feet) and drop all other taxes. The reason that a land tax would be best is because it's easiest to administer--land is the only asset that cannot be hidden or moved. Also, taxing land without regard to improvements automatically encourages its most efficient use.
Everybody would end up paying land taxes, since landlords would just pass the cost on to renters. The main difference is the US would have a lot of IRS agents out of work permanently, since they wouldn't be needed to chase piles of digital money all over the world.

Bill736
03-03-2011, 11:32 PM
The oddest thing about the last census was that they were pressuring me into returning it immediately, and sent reminder notices to me when I stalled. The reason I stalled is because the information they wanted was supposed to be current as of a certain date, but they wanted the census form back well before that date. How could I honestly answer the questions before the effective date had arrived ? I could not, and apparently they wanted everybody to look into our crystal balls and predict our situations weeks in advance. Only the government would warn us about telling them the truth, and then pressure us into not telling them the truth.