PDA

View Full Version : quality carbide burrs?

metalmagpie
02-28-2011, 11:49 AM
I recently got lucky on a Milwaukee electric die grinder. It came without any tooling, however. Now I finally have a die grinder which has power. I looked on ebay at carbide burrs and though there are many listed, I have no way to figure out what items have any actual quality.

What is the best way to buy quality carbide burrs cost-effectively?

metalmagpie

Toolguy
02-28-2011, 12:12 PM
I don't know about that, but the double cut ones tend to load up the teeth a lot less than the single cut variety.

radkins
02-28-2011, 01:34 PM
SGS from MSC or Atrax from Enco is nearly as good.

I have been disappointed with every carbide burr I have gotten off E-Bay! Every last one of the things, regardless of brand, have had the head "out of true" with the shank resulting in wobble, sometimes so bad the burr was useless except at very low speeds. I am thinking maybe a lot of rejects or seconds end up being sold on E-Bay and although I am sure there have been a lot of good ones sold also it seems I have yet to be lucky enough to get one! :rolleyes:

You did well with the Milwaukee die grinder too! As was discussed a while back cheap die grinders, even the electric and especially the air type, do not usually run smoothly and will have a fair amount of chuck run-out which will destroy a carbide burr in short order. A $5 to $10 grinder may seem like a good deal until it destroys the teeth on a couple of $25 burrs then any savings are gone but the cheap grinder is still there.

lazlo
02-28-2011, 04:27 PM
I don't know about that, but the double cut ones tend to load up the teeth a lot less than the single cut variety.

I like the SGS carbide burrs a lot. Stick them in some bandsaw stick wax to keep them from loading.

I find that the single-cut burrs cut faster, but leave a rougher surface. The double-cut burrs cut slower, make a kind of sharp metal powder that gets into everything, but they leave a beautiful finish.