PDA

View Full Version : O.T sort of what to save

RichardG
02-28-2011, 11:28 PM
Hi,
Most of us save a lot of stuff for use later ( hopefully ) it would be nice if I/we had a list of things to save and bits of metal worth saving. An example would be leaf springs ( spring steel? ) Shock absorber shafts ( what type of steel is it ), and what to save out of appliances ect. (switches ect.) most of us look at such stuff but don't know what to look for maby a thread with stuff and uses for it ? I for one hate to through anything away if i can use part of it.
Richard

Black Forest
03-01-2011, 01:15 AM
We had to replace one of our clothes washing machines. Pump or something went bad on the one. It is fifteen years old. Normally I would take the old one directly to the recycling place. BUT after being on this forum for some time now I got to thinking.....mnnnnn. Maybe this thing could be re-purposed into a CNC mill or something. The wife just rolled her eyes when I had that thought outloud.

Normally I would have just thrown it away. But now maybe I can salvage a motor, pulleys, switches or who knows what. I thought about using it to roll pieces in stones as a tumbler.

You people on this board have changed how I look at the world!

My motto used to be: When in doubt throw it out. If you can't move it paint it!

lbhsbz
03-01-2011, 01:25 AM
As a rule of thumb, I keep:
Motors, switches, pulleys, shafts, bushing/sleeves, gears, bolts/nuts, and any rubber dampers/bushings/feet, springs, and any material that looks like I could make something out of it. Usually I'll come up with some ideas as to what to do with something while I'm taking it apart.....which of course, occurs after I take it out to the shop, and generally occupies the whole weekend. The wife gets pissed because she always has to wait until the next weekend to get her new stuff up and running.

hardtail
03-01-2011, 02:21 AM
We had to replace one of our clothes washing machines. Pump or something went bad on the one. It is fifteen years old. Normally I would take the old one directly to the recycling place. BUT after being on this forum for some time now I got to thinking.....mnnnnn. Maybe this thing could be re-purposed into a CNC mill or something. The wife just rolled her eyes when I had that thought outloud.

Normally I would have just thrown it away. But now maybe I can salvage a motor, pulleys, switches or who knows what. I thought about using it to roll pieces in stones as a tumbler.

You people on this board have changed how I look at the world!

My motto used to be: When in doubt throw it out. If you can't move it paint it!

She can thank you later when your property tax assessment downwardly spirals for years to come because your neighbours think you are the recycle station by the looks of your yard.........GRIN

I now am the people I used to laugh about driving by.........wife hasn't fully bought into it all yet though.......LOL

This is one thing that just keeps saving you money.........

darryl
03-01-2011, 02:34 AM
I have at least three machines powered by washing machine motors. Garage door openers have become a source for shafting, chain, leadscrews (very coarse at 3 tpi). Various kitchen appliances are sources for gears, motors, belts, high temp wire, fans, sheet steel, glass, silicone tubing, heating elements, high temp insulation. Dead amplifiers supply transformers, high value capacitors, bridge rectifiers, power transistors, sometimes solid aluminum rounds. Printing calculators have a small but powerful speed-regulated dc motor.

I once brought home a boot sewing machine. Chock full of metal parts, bearings, castings, a good solid cast base and tower. Those washing machine sized printers- I don't have room to describe the useful items that can be robbed from them. Treadmills, old military equipment, electric wheelchairs, cameras, vcrs

there must be SOMETHING I haven't taken apart and saved parts from-

J Tiers
03-01-2011, 08:45 AM
I've gotten selective....

Washing machine motors just don't cut it, they are the cheapest open frame stamped stuff possible.... ugly and need enclosure inside the device. Usually don't reverse, either

Our old dryer, on the other hand, from the 1970s, had a regular enclosed cast end bell motor in it. unfortunately, the motor had frozen up and overheated, the one thing that was missing from it was oil holes, so it wasn't useful.

new machines may have more interesting motors, variable speed systems, some have "switched reluctance" motors, etc, etc. But they are quite reliable, and the motors are one of the most likely things to go bad.

bborr01
03-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Someone recently posted a chart of what types of materials things were made of.

That might be handy for re-purposing some of the salvage materials.

Maybe someone has a link to the chart.

Brian

Carld
03-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Looks like a lot of us are members of Pack Rat Anonymous. Remember, the more we stash away the higher our standing in the overall ratings. Right now I am in the top half of the ratings Nation wide.

bborr01
03-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Looks like a lot of us are members of Pack Rat Anonymous. Remember, the more we stash away the higher our standing in the overall ratings. Right now I am in the top half of the ratings Nation wide.

Add to that the indescribable feeling that you get when you find a use for something that you have been saving for 20 or 30 years. Don't get much better than that.

Brian

Black Forest
03-01-2011, 09:59 AM
The down side is when you spend a lot of time looking for that thing you know you saved off something that would work just right for what you need now. Only you haven't seen it in years and have no clue in which box or drawer it is hiding.

Normally it would be cheaper to just go buy a new one if you factor in your time to find the salvaged part!

hardtail
03-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Whats worse is having kept that stuff for years and then the sudden clean up/purge feeling hits and you go crazy getting rid of stuff that you will never use and need the space it occupies.......yup one week later the project/repair presents itself with those items you just got rid of........happened to me more than once.

The Artful Bodger
03-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Even worse, you sort through and throw out all the stuff you will never need keeping only materials for definite purposes and stuff that you know you will never be able to buy again....... then move house and try to find room for it all in the new place, which is actually bigger but somehow there is less room in there..:rolleyes:

Cobbler
03-01-2011, 02:12 PM
I have "stuff" still boxed up from 3 moves ago...:(

lugnut
03-01-2011, 02:29 PM
I have 3 of my neighbors now trained to check with me before throwing anything mechanical or electrical away. So far I have gained a computer and a great sound system for my shop, several electric motors and numerous pieces of shaft and other metals.:D

goose
03-01-2011, 03:13 PM
I try not to collect anything not immediately useful. And I don't make it a habit to cannibalize junk parts. Most of it's junk, or it's common odd-n-ends I don't need to warehouse.

If it's good junk, I'll keep it, or if I have a specific project in mind, that's OK. But otherwise I'd be drowning in old electronics, plumbing parts, bits of wire, oddball construction supplies, etc.

Whenever I have a doubt, I think of that show on TV ( I think TLC), the hoarder show, you know the one.

Gary

rohart
03-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Even worse, is when you find a part in an odd place, and you say to yourself, "That's a bit of hardened I'll never be able to use," and you junk it.

The next week you find it was a crucial drive lug off an important machine, and you've no idea how it had ended up in that strange place. And the bore's too wierd to machine up.

Thank goodness they still did spares for my ten year old angle grinder !

sasquatch
03-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Over ??30 years i,ve saved quite a bit of stuff.

When someone asks about my sheds and garage full of stuff i tell them,,, "Those are MY assets!!!!":D (Which i suppose anyones collection of hoarded items are.)

Got a few friends with sheds, garages, rooms, yards full of stuff, anything from antique car parts,metal and woodworking machines, boxes, cabinets full of things no one can remember what is in them.

Makes for an interesting Auction sale someday!!!:D :D

1949chevy
03-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Hey guys, being a contractor for many years I used to save all kinds of building
materials from all projects, up stairs in the garage they would go,
and two years later all or most would go to the dump from oak flooring
half bundle wont match any other jobs some stuff goes for kindling
the only thing i save now are steel when I can find it,

My brown and sharp surface grinder was going to go to the scrapper
so I took it off the guy's hands for what he would get for scrap,
old but works really well it was old tech for him,so it's in the shop
Now.
By the way new to the forum and will enjoy being here.
Chris

bborr01
03-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Hey guys, being a contractor for many years I used to save all kinds of building
materials from all projects, up stairs in the garage they would go,
and two years later all or most would go to the dump from oak flooring
half bundle wont match any other jobs some stuff goes for kindling
the only thing i save now are steel when I can find it,

My brown and sharp surface grinder was going to go to the scrapper
so I took it off the guy's hands for what he would get for scrap,
old but works really well it was old tech for him,so it's in the shop
Now.
By the way new to the forum and will enjoy being here.
Chris

Chris,

Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of useful information here.

There are experts in almost anything that you can think of who can answer most any question you may have.

My first time here I had a problem with a south bend heavy ten. I described the problem and within an hour or so I had the answer and my machine fixed. (it needed a simple adjustment)

Brian

roundrocktom
03-02-2011, 12:34 PM
BF hit on it, trying to remember where you put something.

I had boxed up a whole bunch of neat stuff.... problem was things scattered all over the place. Finally started pitching things right and left.

I have some decent size (12" x 12" x 18") clear plastic totes with lids on a shelf. Scrap aluminum in one, steel in another, brass, keystock, tool steel (toss broken mills and drills in), and short 4130 tubing. Six totes means easy to find something of that material. Small enough to be easy to dig through, but big enough to hold items I can machine up later.

So when scrapping something, if is big enough to keep and reuse, and material matches one of those totes... toss it in.

Gears, chains, links that all came off the same scrapped item... big freezer bag and into a 'gear tote'. Ditto is a shaft, with bronze bushings already sized to fit. Bag and toss in.

One shelf with common bolt sizes. Sort by size/thread. All 8mm in on box, all 10mm in another, 1/4-20 separated from 1/4-28, etc. You can find stuff fast (if I need a 2" long bolt, easy to spot when You know the treads will be 1/2-13).

Idea is ONE rack that is 4' wide, 8' tall with 24 bins on it. That is my 'extra stock'. It is small enough that I can search rapidly, but yet big enough to still stock a lot of things. Trick is to just have enough items to keep moving, but no so much clutter to bog you down.

If you can find it in 5 minutes, worth keeping.... if it takes two hours, just toss and buy it when you need it.

wtrueman
03-03-2011, 12:07 AM
Today, I finally looked at the dish washer motor I trashed 1 1/2 years ago. The copper wires? Al. underneath. Big rip off today as motors still look like they have copper, not the Al. !! Wayne. BTW, probably why the machines wear out before they should! This past rant just answered why I ranted. Sorry. Wayne.