PDA

View Full Version : What you did but didn't mean to

darryl
03-01-2011, 01:34 AM
Not to take away from what you did that was useful, noteworthy or cool- this is what you did that wasn't useful, was a waste of time, was not something to be proud of, and was not cool-

Yesterday I got my thumb between a steel pipe sitting on a concrete floor and a speeding 6 lb hammer. I was pounding a rod into a cross drilled hole for use as a T handle. The only thing that saved my thumb from becoming hamburger was the fact that I actually hit the rod with the hammer. Guess I got it sideways and it flew off in one direction while the hammer, minus some of its inertia, decided to investigate the shock absorbing capability of a hitchhiking tool.

Pretty swelled up today, but I started being able to use it again, so it's not that bad.

Carld
03-01-2011, 09:31 AM
It seems like fingers and thumbs are little dare devils and like to take chances with a flying hammer:eek: . You have to keep an eye on them little buggers or they will just jump into the path of a hammer every chance they get.:D

Peter.
03-01-2011, 09:40 AM
I was once merrily roughing down a piece of stock to reduce the diameter, and though, eh, I better check how far off I am. I checked it with my digital caliper, then my micrometer and it was dead-on the finished diameter. Only ever happened the once though :)

jack3140
03-01-2011, 10:37 AM
i got my thumb too close to the chuck and got the nail ripped off about halfway damn those nails grow slow lol funny but i seem to have developed a stay away from the chuck reflexe lol

Highpower
03-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Two words. "Garand thumb". :eek:

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

tmc_31
03-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Two words. "Garand thumb". :eek:

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Yeah, me too. Jr. ROTC Andress High School El Paso, Tx 1965. We drilled with those things until someone brought a live round to school and put it through a classroom window:eek: . Then they took up all the firing pins:( .

Tim

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this machining thread.

Dan Dubeau
03-01-2011, 12:33 PM
I put a 1/4" chamfer on my finger tip with a trim router once. Router was spinning down, and I went to set it down on the table, and my index finger found it's way between the base, and body, and into the bit. Felt like i was electrocuted, until i saw the blood. Lots of blood. skin grew back, and it looks as though it never happened now.

hardtail
03-01-2011, 12:44 PM
6 of my 8 children...........the 2 keepers depend on the day..........

Highpower
03-01-2011, 02:32 PM
I was once merrily roughing down a piece of stock to reduce the diameter, and though, eh, I better check how far off I am. I do that I end up .025 under.... :(

And a lot more often than just once. :p :o

Ken_Shea
03-01-2011, 03:04 PM
What get's me is the things I do, and moments before I do them a little voice says "better not do that" and generally the reason why as well, but I seem to never listen. :mad:

lbhsbz
03-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Meant to clean up a piece of material with my angle grinder...but instead cleaned up my hand :D

I hate it when that happens. Wasn't half as bad as the time I tried to use my loose fitting t-shirt to stall said angle grinder before having turned off the switch...that one angle grindered my belly a little bit.

Thomas Staubo
03-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Got a nice sunburn when I was mig welding at school many years ago, while just wearing welding goggles (I had mostly done OA welding up til then).

:D

darryl
03-01-2011, 10:32 PM
I guess there's as many examples of things ya shouldn't a dun as there are people. Years ago a friend picked up a car battery and held it against his stomach while carrying it. He was splashing battery acid on his shirt as he walked with it, and didn't notice until he felt the itching. By then it was too late- he split for home, but by the time he got there his shirt was mostly holes. We thought it was funny at the time, but he didn't.

RussZHC
03-01-2011, 10:39 PM
A lot of shirts have holes from work...one job is to mix chlorine for the pool and the "bleach" weakens the fabric so the next wash cycle, presto! more holes.

The "what I did but did not mean to" for me is mostly getting the last piece of trim (casings, window moldings etc.) cut the wrong way or, more often, too short by the time the 45* that is not 45* is tight enough to be "good".

Tony Ennis
03-01-2011, 11:26 PM
I jammed my patch knife into my hand this weekend. I was thinking, "Gee this thing has gotten dull..."

KIMFAB
03-02-2011, 01:21 AM
It gets a little warm here in the summer and several times I had been welding in the sun and caught my shirt on fire and didn't notice it.
Got a nice scar on my right arm from a burned shirt.

Oldbrock
03-02-2011, 01:46 AM
Peter. that's the time to buy a lottery ticket. Peter

camdigger
03-02-2011, 05:31 AM
Too many blunders to list. Among the litany of blunders are such escapades as Exfoliating a patch of skin off my belly the size of two 50 cent pieces with a knotted wire wheel on an angle grinder, sanding the skin off the side of my little finger down to the fat layer, burning the vinyl siding off the end of my shop from a grass fire started with an oxy-acet torch, assorted burns from hot work while welding, cutting a kerf 1/8" deep across the pad of my left thumb in a tale saw, peeling all the skin off my left thumb from the first knuckle to the base of the nail with a 24 oz checkerface framing hammer, and....

The accumulated incidents of a Red Green class handyman over several decades.

Shop blunders similar in number. One of the biggest frustrations is the ring roller that won't roll a ring - the tires slip consistently.:mad:

Dan Dubeau
03-02-2011, 12:09 PM
one of the biggest frustrations is the ring roller that won't roll a ring - the tires slip consistently.:mad:

Knurl em :D

vpt
03-02-2011, 12:45 PM
I found out once that metal fuel lines will also spark an arc welder same as the frame I was welding on. Only difference is the fuel lines are much much thinner and aparently are filled with flammable liquid.

camdigger
03-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Knurl em :D
Did. Didn't help