PDA

View Full Version : OT How bad is your addiction

Westline
03-02-2011, 02:56 PM
I tried to grind a small part (rod) to fit in a sleeve with a 0.02mm clearance the rod and sleeve is 304 SS.
I got excited about doing this ( perfect time to use my new toolpost grinder )
Then my parade was wizzed on by the Missers trying to spend quality time.
Well the part is not done and it feels like someone shot my puppy.
Is this normal and how do you guys juggle family and play?

DICKEYBIRD
03-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Then my parade was wizzed on by the Missers trying to spend quality time. Well the part is not done and it feels like someone shot my puppy. Is this normal and how do you guys juggle family and play?I feel your pain brother! They have a sixth sense and can tell exactly when you're at the point of getting over the hump with a project and hit you with the guilt trip at that moment.

I've had so much stuff going on in the shop at home and at my real job that there's been a lot of those guilt trips lately. An extra dinner or 2 at the restaurant helps immensely. Just don't draw plans for that next project on a napkin while you're eating.:D

Westline
03-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Just finished my part. I turned out better than thought 0.01mm clearance ....nice.
http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/KobusWestline/e3d76179.jpg
It took forever with my little toolpost grinder but hey Roman wasn't ground in a day.
http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/KobusWestline/4735e9e7.jpg
Thanks for the advice I promise to leave my pen at home.:D

Elninio
03-03-2011, 03:30 PM
What's the smaller bore near the grinder body for?

Dan Dubeau
03-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Nice grinder. looks simple and effective.

What's the smaller bore near the grinder body for?

expansion slot to allow the body to flew and clamp the grinder is my guess.

teledan
03-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Very good question, I too have been thinking a lot about juggling family time with garage time. It is very hard to balance. I have been married for about 2.5yrs and we have a 10 month old son. My wife always gives me the guilt trip when I tell her I am going to the garage to work on stuff. She is starting to come around some though, I think she is starting to realize that my hobbies are a lot better than others that I could have.

teledan
03-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Actually, we just read that book about the 5 love languages and I think that helped some. I told her the way to speak my love language is to give me garage time! The only crappy thing is that her love language is quality time, so that makes things kinda tough. I like quality time with my welder, she likes quality time with me, but she does not like quality time with my welder :)

Westline
03-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Lol you noticed did you. I have a homemade slit saw that is way to light for the job....hence I got tired of slitting and decided to drill a hole to makeup the extra distance. The other reason is I needed to weaken the back part of the holder since my screws are on the wrong side of the grinder and I did not want to apply to much pressure to the threads.
The reason for the screws on the wrong side is I wanted as little as possible of the holder between the work piece and grinder incase I need to run it parralel with a long shaft while using a small wheel.
This holder is not my best work..... I think it's cursed :D .....I broke a drill bit twice while drilling the center clampscrew hole.

Westline
03-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Teledan
Strange how all over the world we face the same problems.
We also did the love language thing and it does work.....a bit.
I also tried my hobby could be worse.
Once saw a interview with Jay Leno he said he has 87 cars and 1 wife. When his wife complains he just asks what she prefers him coming home reaking of transmission fluid or cheap perfume.

mike4
03-04-2011, 12:40 AM
I can relate to that ,like just finished setting up weird shaped part in mill , only need to skim a few thou off to get a proper seal .
Ready ro press the start button and the phone rings , "dont forget that we are going to xyz's for dinner tonite " .
Mutter mutter , another ten minutes the job would have been finised , now it will take another day to complete .

Wives they know exactly when to call .

Michael

blwn31
03-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Your not the first or the last for this to happen to. My lovely wife does the same thing. Just get the mill or lathe running and the garage lights start flashing, she needs help with something. It is very frustrating, but family time is the most important thing in life. Never thought I would say that, but what else is there. All these machines are toys us guys and some gals. I do get great pleasure in fixing and fabricating things, our spouses just don't understand the need/desire to play in the garage/shop, but after all is said and done they are still toys. For my family, toys always take a back seat to everything. Probably my fault, but not a bad one to have. Just my 2 cents.

Keith

teledan
03-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Once saw a interview with Jay Leno he said he has 87 cars and 1 wife. When his wife complains he just asks what she prefers him coming home reaking of transmission fluid or cheap perfume.

Haha! That is good, I think I'll use that.

Mike of the North
03-04-2011, 11:28 PM
I got lucky, my wife understands my need for garage time. I am a stay at home dad, I take care of my 6 year old son and 15 month daughter, my wife let me build a 1,500 sq ft garage/shop in the back yard, I have it filled with metal and wood working equipment.
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg65/schmalenberg/DSC02968.jpg
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg65/schmalenberg/DSC02966.jpg
This is me and my son two years ago.

Carld
03-04-2011, 11:34 PM
Westline, what are you going to use the rod and sleeve for? You do know that SS against SS is subject to seizing up.

Westline
03-05-2011, 02:23 AM
Westline, what are you going to use the rod and sleeve for? You do know that SS against SS is subject to seizing up.
Actualy did not think of that ....good point. A client gave me the ss and the size he wants it cut so O well his choice. His going to use it as mounting pin for a bike steering stablizer. The the thing prob would not even turn more than 45deg but will take alot of pressure.