PDA

View Full Version : O/T-Google maps high resolution.

JRouche
03-03-2011, 01:17 PM
I happened to check out a pic of my house on google maps this morning. WOW!!! Talk about some detailed resolution. I mean to the point of almost being able to look into my window.

Here is a comparison between google maps and google earth. Surprised GE doesn't have the same imagery? JR

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Jrouche/House/house.jpg

DannyW
03-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Scary huh!

I believe it is the highest resolution they let the public view it at.

But you're not fooling me that they can't do ten times better (classified, of course).
Probably can read the label in the back of your shirt.
Or can see the pimple on your nose.

RPease
03-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Is that a dent in your car hood............or.........did a bird do a "nasty" ??

:D

Dan Dubeau
03-03-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm on the fence about this. I'd love to have a nice high res aerial picture of our property (for free :) ), but I like my privacy. We live out in the sticks, so google maps, isn't as high res in our area, plus the picture is over 2 years old. There's a small grass strip just down the road, maybe I'll just head up there one day in the summer and see if somebody wants some company for a quick flight.

Nice Neighborhood. I couldn't handle neighbors that close for very long, but I could handle the temperature.

kendall
03-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Have you played with street view? That's a pretty neat toy. Can 'drive' a route and see what you'd be looking at while in the car.

Most of the images in google maps are hopelessly out of date though, Last time I looked at my house, they still show my old boat that I got rid of several years ago.

Rex
03-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Have you played with street view? That's a pretty neat toy. Can 'drive' a route and see what you'd be looking at while in the car..

That is so cool! I took a look at the neighborhood in Zaragoza Spain that was off-base housing for Air force families in the late 1950s. I was able to find our old house (then new) and see how it had changed - a lot!

Mom was REALLY impressed.

lazlo
03-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Have you played with street view? That's a pretty neat toy. Can 'drive' a route and see what you'd be looking at while in the car.

I actually stumbled across a Google team photographing an intersection yesterday: a young couple driving in a convertable, the passenger with a point and shoot digital camera on the end of ~ 2' wooden stick. She took several pictures of the intersection, wrote some notes on a clipboard, and kept on going.

I wonder how much they're paid?

Black_Moons
03-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Those close up photos are NOT sat photos, but aircraft photos.
I don't really believe sats can take that good of pictures what with the atmosphere distorting everything.

Rex
03-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Those close up photos are NOT sat photos, but aircraft photos..

Well that explains all those black helicopters then!

camdigger
03-03-2011, 07:46 PM
That's what the high density centers look like. One can barely tell my house from my tractor shed from free versions of google earth and google maps.

I think I like it that way....

sasquatch
03-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Google earth is an incredible service i use many times.
I live up in an area of many many bush roads and lakes etc, and do a bit of exploring the back country.
When i go to an area i first check it out on google earth, amazing what little lakes, trails i find along with cabins, or old abandoned homesteads etc.
Some of the pics are outdated for sure, as some will be winter pics or summer pics, fall colour pics, my own place when the pic was taken i wasn,t home, as my truck is not parked there when i zoomed into it.
Apparently law enforcement uses google quite often when interest in an area comes up.

rohart
03-03-2011, 10:15 PM
I find Bing has better resolution than Google Maps of the London area in the UK, but they share the same maps out in the countryside.

It's interesting when the camera gets a hair or other artifact stuck near the imaging plane. There's an area at the western end of the Isle of Wight near the Needles park and Tennyson's memorial where there are hairs everywhere. But I first found this area a couple of years ago, and several of the artifacts have been cleaned up since then. I guess they've been running cleaning algorithms on the images, but these don't work so well on build-up areas where the artifacts resemble tracks or fallen trees.

rkepler
03-03-2011, 10:24 PM
As I understand it in some cases they're getting the tax assessor's images and mapping them into their system - that's why the high resolution images clearly taken from an airplane.

RTPBurnsville
03-04-2011, 09:12 AM
It's Google in the sack with government is the part of the equation I find frighting.... Something is really smelly and doubt it's bad coolant in the mill.

rkepler
03-04-2011, 10:06 AM
It's Google in the sack with government is the part of the equation I find frighting.... Something is really smelly and doubt it's bad coolant in the mill.

Since tax dollars were used to produce them they're in the public domain - anyone can use them for pretty much anything free of charge (other than duplication).

SteveF
03-04-2011, 11:56 AM
As I understand it in some cases they're getting the tax assessor's images and mapping them into their system - that's why the high resolution images clearly taken from an airplane.

OK, that would explain why it is an oblique image instead of a vertical overhead.

Google maps were redone for my area last year. Due to a construction project I can even tell it was the first week of July.

Steve

biometrics
03-04-2011, 12:23 PM
I don't really believe sats can take that good of pictures what with the atmosphere distorting everything.

Don't be fooled by speculation on what can be seen from space... the resolution that can be achieved from satellites is much better than most people think, but it normally isn't made public.

Services like google earth intentionally dumb down the resolution for the general public for privacy and intelligence security reasons. If the need is important enough (military reconnaisance or intelligence), they can read the name on a golf ball if they want to do that... It is no longer science fiction.

lazlo
03-04-2011, 12:25 PM

I think that's true in most cases. The pictures of my neighborhood are updated every 2-3 years, and also look like images taken from a low-flying airplane.

rkepler
03-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Don't be fooled by speculation on what can be seen from space... the resolution that can be achieved from satellites is much better than most people think, but it normally isn't made public.

Services like google earth intentionally dumb down the resolution for the general public for privacy and intelligence security reasons. If the need is important enough (military reconnaisance or intelligence), they can read the name on a golf ball if they want to do that... It is no longer science fiction.

Uhh - no. Satellite imaging is limited by a number of factors, but mostly atmospherics and angular resolution. With the 2 of them about the best that's likely from LEO is newspaper headline reading and not golf ball reading (but if the ball has a unique color stripe it might be identified - if the image processing analyst knew it was a golf ball and cared about the make).

But Google has modified the image presented, sometimes serving up a different image to folks outside the USA then to the USA folks. For some of the same reasons the folks who provide GPS road map data have removed some of the roads mapped. I would expect that some Google Earth images are shifted somewhat so the apparent GPS coordinates won't match reality, but I've never tried to verify it.

JRouche
03-04-2011, 01:02 PM
As I understand it in some cases they're getting the tax assessor's images and mapping them into their system

I know, right!!! And really, I get it, I would if I was the tax man. Gotta get the taxes owed..

Hmmm?? Im getting some camouflage netting to make my property look like a deserted barren lot, maybe they will automatically lower my property taxes??? :D JR

http://www.ww2hc.org/emailarchives/hidingaircraftplants.htm

justanengineer
03-04-2011, 02:00 PM
I used to get to play with the fancy satellite imagery in the army as it is built into the gps navigation in every combat vehicle we have. The resolution on those (at least at the level the common soldier had access to in 2007 when I left) in real time was good enough for my old recovery partner to pick out which finger it was I was aiming at the sky while in the middle of Iraq. I believe it can go quite a bit further than that, but unfortunately/fortunately I never wanted to come near that technology as it is mostly associated with a rather scarey part of our military.

And for those wondering...no this does not stop me from peeing in the woods. :p