PDA

View Full Version : Nature never intended

GKman
03-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Needed to make a couple of dished out walnut barstool tops.
Necessity mothered this invention.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/gkman/Bar%20Stools/P1110028-Copy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/gkman/Bar%20Stools/P1130004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/gkman/Bar%20Stools/P3010033.jpg

airsmith282
03-04-2011, 10:07 AM
wow thoes look sweet great job

jack3140
03-04-2011, 10:11 AM
pretty slick set up congrats turned out really nice .

SVS
03-04-2011, 10:12 AM
The legs are all bendy and stuff!!!

Right handed drunks, left handed stools, it'll never work.

Very good.

lakeside53
03-04-2011, 11:00 AM
sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2ManyHobbies
03-04-2011, 11:38 AM
What is the pucker factor on a pendulum router? Just make dang sure you are holding onto it before you hit go?

GKman
03-04-2011, 12:22 PM
What is the pucker factor on a pendulum router? Just make dang sure you are holding onto it before you hit go?

About 9.5 before I started but not bad at all after I got going. Took about 1/4" passes with a ball end bit. Mill made it handy, just crank up the table 0.250" and make more sawdust.

SmoggyTurnip
03-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Great post!!

mickeyf
03-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Very Nice!

Two comments:

1) Someone else had a similar idea. (http://www.webcomicsnation.com/shaenongarrity/skinhorse/series.php?view=archive&chapter=48036&name=skinhorse) :D

2) Any minute now someone is going to give you grief about the sawdust clogging your mill... (Not me, I do woodworking too...)

Alistair Hosie
03-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Wow there's an easier way to dish stool tops perfectly .Just stick some sandpaper to your drawers and sit on it for a few months it will assume your perfect mould. Alistair

PeteF
03-04-2011, 05:55 PM
What a brilliant solution! Agree, my clacker would have been twitching a little however. I like the end result, the legs are very "Krenovian" ... is that a word? Anyway, hopefully you know who I'm talking about, and congratulations on the beautiful work.

Pete

madman
03-04-2011, 06:27 PM
??Law Suit?? Drunks falling of those awesome crafted chair bar seats HA HA .(HUH NO SEAT BELT ????) I tell yuh if i was on one of them right now id need a seat belt for sure. Use caution,, dont serve anyone more than 14 bottles of beer. NICE WORK Mike

Black_Moons
03-04-2011, 07:08 PM
You did.. Test drive those seats right? With the required number of beer? :)

Gotta test drive em, Would'nt want them to collapse under the awsome weight of someone elses 4th beer.

GKman
03-04-2011, 07:59 PM
What a brilliant solution! Agree, my clacker would have been twitching a little however. I like the end result, the legs are very "Krenovian" ... is that a word? Anyway, hopefully you know who I'm talking about, and congratulations on the beautiful work.

Pete

Thanks for the praise from you all. I do have 3 James Krenov books in my library but my attempt is more monkey see - monkey do. He CREATES. I was just following the lines of some factory made Arts and Crafts dining room furniture we recently bought.

Black Moons,
31 years too late for that test drive so I'll just have to trust my joinery.

wierdscience
03-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Nice looking job,if you had done some steam bending and a few concealed sheet metal screws it would be a Krenovmaloofnian design:)

PeteF
03-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the praise from you all. I do have 3 James Krenov books in my library but my attempt is more monkey see - monkey do. He CREATES.

Well, he's possibly not doing too much creating these days. Unless it's for the Big Boy!

Gravy
03-04-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm gonna steal the concept and use it someday. I'll produce a custom line of ergonomically curved barstool seats. I'll claim it as an original idea. I'm gonna be rich...RICH, I tell ya! (rubbing hands and chortling evilly).

OK, maybe not. (I get a little melodramatic at times)

Krenov and Maloof have not lived in vain. I think both would approve of those stools. Thank you for showing both the process and the product.:)

darryl
03-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Very nice! That's one I have not done, though I've done several similar things with the table saw. One of the more exciting things in my life is when I find I've come up with a method to achieving a goal, and it works. In my shop, that's very often something to do with the table saw, and to a lesser extent the milling machine. Pivot point milling has been good to me- closely related to using a rotary table. More and more I find myself roughing out something on the table saw, prior to milling on it, and I now can square up the end of pipe up to 2 ft diameter on the table saw (not steel pipe though). Innovation- indespensible skill enabling survival of the species-

Lew Hartswick
03-04-2011, 11:22 PM
I see there are a few other woodworkers ( or at least name dropers)
on this board. :-)
...lew...

PeteF
03-05-2011, 12:42 AM
I see there are a few other woodworkers ( or at least name dropers)
on this board. :-)
...lew...

Lew I don't do any at the moment as there's only so many hours in the day, but it's how I got into machining. I keep my subscription to Fine Woodworking however and once things settle back down again look forward to picking up a plane again. Sometimes I prefer the organic nature of woodworking ... besides there's often better "fudge factors" in that field :D

dhammer
03-05-2011, 05:41 AM
Very nice!!

Looks like you "ebonized" the bar stool seats. I like the "piano" finnish.