PDA

View Full Version : Watch this Video.

gary350
03-04-2011, 11:02 PM
It gets better and better the closer it gets to the end. This gives new meaning to the statement, pretect me from those who would pretect me from myself.

http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/66

Carld
03-04-2011, 11:25 PM
Interesting talk. Interesting concept.

Leos
03-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Very interesting and also very true. Thanks for posting.

Toolguy
03-04-2011, 11:34 PM
Thanks Gary - That was really a worthwhile bit of inspiration. :)

hornluv
03-05-2011, 10:43 AM
That was a great talk. Very insightful and funny to boot.

vpt
03-05-2011, 11:41 AM
I can totaly relate to that! All my life threw school I was yelled at because I wouldn't sit still or pay attention.

jlrii
03-05-2011, 02:26 PM
WOW....I have thought that for a long time, how can someone be creative when they are told exactly how to do everything. I am also not a big believer in ADHD, I think it has become an out for parents / school systems that do not want to deal with kids being kids. Kids need to move and be active and be allowed to think laterally. I know school systems are money challenged and that prohibits a Montessori type environment, but the system has gone way down hill since I was a kid. There aren't even any shop programs in the local HS anymore. Training everyone to work for Microsoft nowadays I guess.

JR

Jim Caudill
03-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Probably the best-spent 20 minutes so far this year! Thanks for sharing. I too was one of the "fidgety" kids in school. The principal would come in to my 2nd grade class and "observe" me (1958). Many discussions about what to "do with me". The principal and one of my uncles both concluded that there was nothing really wrong with me, I was just bored. I applied myself only in areas that held my interest: Got A's & B's in physics, C's & D's in English. Went to college, took placement tests, and immediately skipped and was granted credit for the mandatory freshman year English courses, almost did the same thing for Chemistry.

Just because I did not apply myself in high school English classes, didn't mean that I didn't know the subject!

jack3140
03-05-2011, 05:23 PM
enjoyed it very much he is right about education today kids cant do the 3R,s worth a damn take away their buttons and they are useless sad to see and the drugs they have to take to please the school i was a pita in school because i was bored to tears i tried to raise my kids the right way and all i got was scorn hope things change but i will not hold my breath

bborr01
03-06-2011, 12:43 AM
Thought provoking video.

I sent a link to one of my brothers who is an acedemic type. I'll be interested in his take.

Brian

sansbury
03-06-2011, 01:58 AM
Great video. Another voice in the wilderness on this subject is John Taylor Gatto, who taught in the NYC public schools for thirty years and won Teacher of the Year several times before quitting and publishing this in the Wall Street Journal:

http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/underground/prologue2.htm

God help you these days if you are a boy and don't enjoy English or math. A large part of the ADHD thing is simply teachers wanting boys to act more like girls. The fact that we spend a large fortune on education (but never enough, apparently!) only adds insult to injury.

I don't have kids yet but if I ever do I am not sure if I could send them off to the school system as we have today. It works fine for those who fit the template, but I am pretty convinced that it can cause immense damage to those who do not.

lynnl
03-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Interesting indeed!

That video brings to mind a very fascinating book I read recently on the subject of "Excellence", and the question of the role of genetics vs opportunity and development or practice. The title is "Bounce", authored by Matthew Syed, a Britisher who became a world Table Tennis champion. He's now a sports journalist for the BBC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1K6bOG8mj8

Although many of the examples he presents deal with athletics, he does cite many other examples and studies relating to other more academic or artistic endeavors, such as music and chess, etc.

It's not just a seat-of-the-pants type of speculation. It comes across as a well researched and convincing presentation.

His basic conclusions are that, despite our notions that the really great champions, such as sports superstars Roger Federer or Michael Jordan, or chess greats, or those reaching the pinnacle of success in any other activity, do so as a result of some inborn talent, is just totally wrong. They do so because of countless hours of dedicated practice, usually following exposure early in life to optimum conditions for training and motivation.
He cites numerous studies backing this idea, including his own development, which was greatly dependent on the street he grew up in, which gave him access to the top coach and training facility in Britain.

He also develops a strong case that 10,000 hours of "dedicated" practice is kind of a magic number for achieving the ultimate success, regardless of the activity. "Dedicated" - meaning purposeful practice that continues to challenge one to do better than the day before. i.e. NOT just continuing practice at the same level or task that you can already perform.

He also points out how the same concepts, if fully recognized and implemented throughout modern society, could vastly improve our efficiency in business, education, health, and most other walks of life.
An example he gives is the training of doctors. Cancer, for example. With today's training methods it can take years before a an oncologist gets "REALLY GOOD" at interpreting xrays and other diagnostic tools, and otherwise gains what we call "experience" at treatments. There's normally such a time lag between initially seeing the patient, seeing the first diagnostic tools, waiting for the progression of the disease, waiting for the progression of the treatments, etc. Imagine the potential for improvement if the training included thousands of cases condensed down into instantaneously accessible databases, that enabled the doctor (intern) to quickly follow each case throughout its progression.