PDA

View Full Version : OT diploma frame plans?

rmcphearson
03-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Anybody made one from brass, anodized metal, or something like that?

I just finished paying about $12,000 for this 8.5" x 11" piece of paper and I'm not putting it on a freaking piece of plastic or MDF. Pricing a quality solid wood frame makes me think I can have one made from metal for a similar amount that's not quite as bulky looking as the wood.

Any thoughts?

Roland

Deus Machina
03-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Swing by your local Micheal's or JoAnne's, or some of the home decorating places. 8.5x11 is a standard document size. Shouldn't be hard to find pre-assembled ones.

Failing that, some of these places have assemble-it-yourself kits. Solid wood or extruded metal.

Did you just want it on the wall, or did you want it in a nice frame, matted, with UV-protective glass? The latter costs, but you can buy a mat cutter and the material, and fit it into a larger standard (11x14, 12x16, 16x20) frame.

To be honest, when Micheals runs their 60% off sale, a diploma into the more basic custom-built metal frames really isn't that bad, and there are a few formal-looking styles.

Yeah, guess where I work. :rolleyes:

If you really do want to make it yourself, a frame is essentially just a piece of molding with a rabbit cut on the inner edge and the corners mitered 45 degrees and then joined. I imagine it's possible to find extruded trim online, and then just cut to length and miter.

GKman
03-05-2011, 10:22 AM
I'll bite. What's on the paper?

I needed two 3/8" brass acorn nuts to restore an old feed store scale. Only source was 25. Now I have 23 left over. Thought they'd look good using all to decorate a nice brushed stainless frame. I just don't have anything to frame.:mad: My ying, your yang.

mickeyf
03-05-2011, 04:31 PM
With almost any desktop publishing software now-a-days you can make a nice diploma for a lot less than that, and still have plenty left over for a frame. :D

Seriously, unless it's a diploma in framing, I'd go with the Micheal's suggestion. Presumably you want to draw attention to the contents, not the frame.

mike4
03-05-2011, 08:01 PM
[QUOTE=rmcphearson]Anybody made one from brass, anodized metal, or something like that?

I just finished paying about $12,000 for this 8.5" x 11" piece of paper and I'm not putting it on a freaking piece of plastic or MDF. Pricing a quality solid wood frame makes me think I can have one made from metal for a similar amount that's not quite as bulky looking as the wood.

Speak to a local glass company , they may have aluninium extrusions which I have seen used for everything from mirror frames to photos .

Michael