PDA

View Full Version : dro pros

old blue
03-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Any one buy read outs from dro pros? If so are they any good?
Customer service any good?

http://www.dropros.com/

thanks

philbur
03-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Be careful if you are considering magnetic scales. My understanding is that they lack accuracy when applied to machine tools. The link doesn't appear to even state the accuracy or the resolution.

Phil:)

Any one buy read outs from dro pros? If so are they any good?
Customer service any good?

http://www.dropros.com/

thanks

H8Allegheny
03-05-2011, 12:38 PM
The DRO Pros Electronica line is just newly released. Their standard line remains available and has gotten favorable reviews most everywhere for accuracy, durability and customer service.

See: http://www.dropros.com/DRO_PROS_Milling_Machine_Digital_Readout.htm#DRO_P ROS_3M

I don't own one, and I have no interest in the company, but I have been looking for a while now and these folks usually come highly recommended on the boards I visit.

YMMV

Brian
Taxachusetts

uncle pete
03-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Phil,
While they wern't bought thru DRO Pros I bought Newall Magnetic Microsyn scales and display. They have far better repeatable accuracy than I can use. I would have bought from DRO Pros but they didn't carry the Newall unit I was interested in.

Pete

philbur
03-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Hi Pete, I have also just order a 2 axis lathe Newall unit. I think the Dro Pro magnetic system is a magnetic tape type arrangement. I might be wrong but it's a case of buyer beware.

Phil,
While thet wern't bought thru DRO Pros I bought Newall Magnetic Microsyn scales and display. They have far better repeatable accuracy than I can use. I would have bought from DRO Pros but they didn't carry the Newall unit I was interested in.

Pete

uncle pete
03-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Phil,
If you go onto Newalls website with your model numer of the scales they have all the specs listed. Newalls website can be a bit of a pain at times but you just might be suprised with the specs. Just don't confuse resolution with what the actual repeteable accuracy is. While I still need to get my DRO mounted, From the little bit I've seen I'd certainly buy another one.

Pete

Ron of Va
03-05-2011, 01:31 PM
I bought the Easson ES-10 for my Grizzly lathe from DRO Pro. It comes with glass scales.

Customer service was excellent. I have no complaints about the unit. It works as intended.

philbur
03-05-2011, 02:46 PM
I spent a month or so on their web site before I ordered.

My point was that I don't think that the magnetic tape type (from Dro Pro) doesn't have the same accuracy and resolution as the Newall Sphersoyn and Microsyn magnetic systems.

Phil,
If you go onto Newalls website with your model numer of the scales they have all the specs listed. Newalls website can be a bit of a pain at times but you just might be suprised with the specs. Just don't confuse resolution with what the actual repeteable accuracy is. While I still need to get my DRO mounted, From the little bit I've seen I'd certainly buy another one.

Pete

uncle pete
03-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Phil,
Sorry, I didn't know you had a different type of magnetic scale. Then my previous comments have no bearing on your system.

Pete

mototed
03-05-2011, 03:05 PM
I thought they (DRO pros) where glass scales. The one I bought for my lathe is.

macona
03-05-2011, 03:05 PM
I spent a month or so on their web site before I ordered.

My point was that I don't think that the magnetic tape type (from Dro Pro) doesn't have the same accuracy and resolution as the Newall Sphersoyn and Microsyn magnetic systems.

If they are anything similar to the magnetic linear encoder that is used in my laser cutter then they have a 10u resolution with +/- 1 count repeatability.

http://www.smbownelectrical.co.uk/manuals/encoders/EMIX3-000-E_11-06.pdf

uncle pete
03-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Phil,
By the way, What model of Newall DRO did you buy?

Mototed, It all depends on the exact brand you bought from DRO Pros, Newall as far as I know only produce the magnetic type, But I think some of their displays will interface with certain types of glass scales.

Pete

philbur
03-05-2011, 03:34 PM
The link quotes the accuracy as:

Accuracy in mm (at 20 ° C) +/- (0.01 + 0.02 x L*) * L = Measuring length in meters

That + or - 30 microns per meter. A typical glass scale or the Newall magnetic system is 5 micron per meter.

Also the 10 micron resolution means you could be out by nearly 0.001" on diameter when turning.

If they are anything similar to the magnetic linear encoder that is used in my laser cutter then they have a 10u resolution with +/- 1 count repeatability.

http://www.smbownelectrical.co.uk/manuals/encoders/EMIX3-000-E_11-06.pdf

old blue
03-05-2011, 03:39 PM
I bought the Easson ES-10 for my Grizzly lathe from DRO Pro. It comes with glass scales.

Customer service was excellent. I have no complaints about the unit. It works as intended.

How difficult was the install with the glass scales?
I've done the newall sys. before but not the glass scales.

Ron of Va
03-05-2011, 03:55 PM
How difficult was the install with the glass scales?
I've done the newall sys. before but not the glass scales.
Old Blue, the install wasn’t that bad. It was the first one I had ever done, so I proceeded with cautious optimism. I was inspired by Steve Bedair’s pictorial. http://bedair.org/Grizzly12x/GrizzlyG4003G.html

(I photographed the entire process of the Easson install as well, and DRO Pro asked for some of the photos. The photos were sent and some were posted on their web site. I am told that they use them frequently and are emailed to customers who have questions. Who would have thunk it.)

torchroadster
03-05-2011, 05:55 PM
I have the 2 axis DRO PROs brand (glass scale) and am very pleased.

Customer support is top notch.

Gary Heath
03-06-2011, 07:04 PM
For what it might be worth .......

I bought two sets each (one for my mill and one for my lathe) of Sino 3 axis scales (SDS6-3VF) from JJ (xiao1207) on eBay, at ~$542 ea. delivered

They came with the RS232 option and software (I requested this option) which allows you to save your data points in AutoCAD format files, so if you want to make up a lot of the same parts, you can just prototype the part on your manual lathe/mill, saving the data points to your PC via the RS232/software option, and then have a job shop make them for you using the the saved AutoCAD files, at less coin than you could ..... probably even if you have CNC machines.
This is great, because I plan to make up parts for various hobbies I'm into, and then sell them on the different classified forums for those specialized hobbies.
In the past I have just made up parts on special request basis, one at a time. But I have backed away from a lot of sales I could have made, due to it just eating all my time up to make each part manually.
Now I can just save the data in A/C format and pass that along to a job shop who can make the parts for me at less than I can buy the material for.

I got 1 micron resolution scales for my cross slide and compound, these were also slim KA500 and extra slim KA200 scales (respectively).
The scale for my Drill/Mill spindle is also a slim KA500, 5 micron scale. The other 3 scales are 5 micron standard size KA300 scales, but the price also included a 1020mm long scale for my lathe carriage!.

They came with 'full' covers for the scales (the type where you mount the thick back plate to your machine, then mount the scales to the back plate, and then mount the cover). This allows for a lot more flexible mounting options (read: .... 'very' easy!!) than does the regular covers, because you can drill and countersink the thick back plates wherever you need to mount them, and you can do that how you like ...... as opposed to being forced to use the fixed holes on the end of the scales themselves.
The full covers also seal a lot better than the standard covers do.
They also included a lot of different types of mounting plates and angles brackets to make the install go very fast and easy, as well as the clear plastic display covers and display mounting arms. Although the SDS6-3V can be set up for 3 different types of machines, you want to specify the type you will set it up for, to get the right mounting arm for that machine.

When they arrived one of the scale covers was the regular type, the clear plastic dust covers for the displays had small cracks were they were folded, and two of the end caps for the covers were cracked.
JJ replaced all very quickly via international express mail.
I had no issues communicating with JJ, as his english is excellent, in fact ....... better than some stateside sellers!!

The DROs arrived in just a little less than a week from the time I ordered them, and the replacement parts in about the same time after I let JJ know about the issues.

The chinglish manual is available online for people wanting to read it first by following the instructions on the eBay site, or by doing google search for Sino SDS6-3V manual.
Or, you can downloaded it in a dot rar compressed file from here:

http://www.box.net/shared/81f5p8f1k2

It is much better written than what I hear the first manual for the older Sino SDS2 was, and I didn't have any problems with it at all.

I paid a total of $1085 for both sets 'delivered', and that included the special slim and extra slim scales, the extra long scale for my lathe carriage, and the two hi-resolution 1 micron units.

Best regards,

Gary

GT1
03-13-2011, 09:27 PM
I bought a 2 axis DRO with the glass scales from DRO PROs last year for my mill. The installation and operators manuals are well written. All the parts seemed to be of high quality. The installation was relatively easy (measure twice, drill once). I had to fab up a couple of brackets and spacers as the kit has a limited selection. I also had to buy some small bolts (4mmx0.7x16 mm) to mount the trolleys. The hardest part was mounting an indicator to level and align the y axis scale. The rest was plug and chug. There is a laminated cheat sheet that comes with the paperwork to keep out in the shop. Several weeks prior to buying, I called them a couple of times and asked a large number of questions which they answered in detail. They have a three year warranty and they have replacement scales if one should break. I have not had a need to use their customer service since purchasing, but am reasonably sure I won't be disappointed. Overall I am satisfied with my purchase.

Doug