PDA

View Full Version : OT: FBI plants tracking device under car over REDDIT post

Elninio
03-06-2011, 11:01 AM
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2010/10/the_fbi_is_trac.html

Is this a joke, why is the device so HUGE?

The original post: http://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/comments/dmh5s/does_this_mean_the_fbi_is_after_us

From the comments:

It's a Guardian ST820. It's a GPS tracking unit made by the company Cobham, the product line is called Orion. The redditor who said that the battery and magnetic unit is hand made is wrong, you've got the standard kit, it is sold like that by Cobham. Sales is restricted to army and law enforcement. TL;DR : yes, FBI or Police is after you.

lazlo
03-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Here's the device. It's so... 80's! :p

http://i.imgur.com/srhrK.jpg

vpt
03-06-2011, 11:06 AM
I would have stuck it on a grayhound bus.

Elninio
03-06-2011, 11:12 AM
I would have stuck it on a grayhound bus.
The victim suggested he wanted to throw it in a lake, or attach it to another vehicle, in his reddit post. lol.

JoeFin
03-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Welcome to the "Police State" guys

vpt
03-06-2011, 11:18 AM
The victim suggested he wanted to throw it in a lake, or attach it to another vehicle, in his reddit post. lol.

Would have been funny to ship it to another country as well.

sansbury
03-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Let's be fair here: the people involved were young males of Middle Eastern ethnicity and had done some overseas traveling in that region, plus dad was a Muslim religious leader. From a distance I see a lot more probable cause than just a blog posting.

That said I do kind of agree with the point made in the suspect blog post--that there are lots of ways to blow up malls, etc., and the fact that it doesn't happen all the time makes one wonder why not. I don't doubt there has been some good counter-terrorism work done by the FBI et. al. but I am not inclined to give them full credit.

wierdscience
03-06-2011, 02:53 PM
That said I do kind of agree with the point made in the suspect blog post--that there are lots of ways to blow up malls, etc., and the fact that it doesn't happen all the time makes one wonder why not. I don't doubt there has been some good counter-terrorism work done by the FBI et. al. but I am not inclined to give them full credit.

Well that's the cux of it isn't it,we only hear about the ones that are sucessful or the ones where they need the public to apprehend the suspects.

Weston Bye
03-06-2011, 03:01 PM
I don't see threads like this as being particularly useful to the BBS.

Black_Moons
03-06-2011, 03:19 PM
I would of sold it on ebay.
Its my property now! You want it back fbi? You and <insert random terrorist like name> can bid war over it.

Elninio
03-06-2011, 04:12 PM
I don't see threads like this as being particularly useful to the BBS.

I don't like political threads on this BBS either, just thought it was interesting the shape of the device they planted on his car. Looks like some sort of pipe designed to withstand blasts ..