PDA

View Full Version : cutting a cylinder

plunger
03-07-2011, 03:00 PM
I often sell my scrap geysers to the local scrapyard. He says he gets a minimum of 15 a day. These geysers are about 400mm in diameter and about 1.2m long after they have had all the insulation stripped off them.
They then have to cut these geysers up into smaller pieces so that they can be packed in a shipping container so that they can be sent to india to be melted down and then probably sent back to us in steel pipes or whatever.
They use a mixture of oxygen and propane gas to cut these tanks in half lengthwise and then crosswise and it seems like an expensive and time consuming way to do this.This is africa so if you had to see how its done you would understand. The guy wears no eye protection and the flames are flying all over the place You have to be carefull not to park your car to close when dropping off or it will get a shower of hot molten metal.
Does anyone have a more elegant solution on how to cut steel tanks up that is cheaper and less messy?This company has many branches and the foreman reckons if it would save them money they would consider a different system. Some thoughts are maybe a big cut off saw but it would have to be huge and maybe to slow. Maybe a big horizontal bandsaw. Would plasma work? I know nothing about plasma Does plasma use gas. Maybe a big press. What type of press could squash a clinder that is about 1.6mm thick and capped on both ends
thanks eugene

The Artful Bodger
03-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Hmmm, these are probably all daft ideas for one reason or another...

Are these cylinder intact? If so maybe a vacuum pump?

If this is a scrap yard how about a derrick with a block of concrete and a truck or tractor to pull it up and drop on a pile of cylinders?

Here is a really daft one....:D Stick a threaded rod through with a plate on the end and a big nut then turn the shaft with some low speed high torque power source, maybe a truck engine and gearbox on a stand (you did say this is a scrap yard?). You would end up with a nice concertinaed metal pancake.:cool:

Does the yard have a bucket loader? If so put something heavy in the bucket and use the weight of the bucket to crush the cylinders.

I dont know the gauge of the metal but if you dont mind the noise a hand reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade springs to mind, cut the ends off then stomp on the remaining bit.

We used to cut oil drums on the farm using an axe like blade with a wooden handle, one person held the handle while another struck the back of the blade with a wooden maul, that was suprisingly quick.

As for a press, I assume the requirement is for a fairly long travel but not a great pressure, only a few tons but travel of a metre or more... thats not the sort of press you would usually find in industry.

With room to spare and labour available I think you could make a press using one of those high lift jacks beloved by the 4WD fraternity. That would not cost much to build.

South Africa has/had a lot of sheep, I am not suggesting a wool press would be suitable 'as is' but the jacks on the sides of some types might be ideal.

John

DougC_582
03-07-2011, 03:22 PM
It is my understanding that the cheapest way to cut steel with a torch is gasoline/oxygen torches. Useless for welding at all, but cuts like mad.

plunger
03-07-2011, 03:39 PM
The guage is about 1.6mm thick. I use your idea of the ax on copper geysers using a panga but the steel would be a bit difficult . If it was upsized it could be a good idea Kind of like a big shear. He was actually thinking of dropping a big block of concrete on it by using his forklift. I have a sneaky suspicion the inherant strength of a cylindrical shape would make crushing this difficult. Unless the end caps could be taken off A vacuum wouldnt work because all of them have been scrapped due to rust holes ( pin hole) sometimes hardlly noticable. Your idea of squashing them with a gearbox setup leads me to think if one could not make a heavy duty vice that is operational through hydraulics. Wish I had the ability of some of our members to cad draw because that would probly work . It could be done with a massive fixed jaw and maybe two rams moving a loose jaw to squash it. Wonder if there are any forums with engineers on it who could give more info on what kind of power would be needed to make an oversize can crusher.

Black_Moons
03-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Find a steam roller to run em over!

Plasmas not a bad idea. There is some consumables however... Some do use compressed air. Others bottled gas.

Oxy/fuel (Gasoline, Propane, etc) is a pertty decent and fast way to cut em.

The Artful Bodger
03-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Make one of these:

http://www.petermanseye.com/images/photos/post/91.jpg

Should be ideal for taking the ends off!;)

winchman
03-07-2011, 03:55 PM
"I often sell my scrap geysers to the local scrapyard."

What's a geyser?

Dr Stan
03-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Does he have a car crusher? If so, once the ends are removed just crush them.

Weston Bye
03-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Does he have a bulldozer? Run that over them.

I was puzzled too, Google search led me to hot water heaters.

The Artful Bodger
03-07-2011, 04:13 PM

What's a geyser?

Another name for a calefont.

mochinist
03-07-2011, 04:13 PM

What's a geyser?glad I wasnt the only guy wondering that:p

pressurerelief
03-07-2011, 04:17 PM
I work on compressed gas cylinders for a living and this is what we do. Make sure the vessel is empty and purged. Drill a 1" hole in each end. Send it to the shredder in the local yard. My local guys shreds more than 10,000 cylinders a year just from me. These range from small handheld propane cylinders up to 2500 PSI 1/2" thick industrial gas cylinders.

http://www.ssiworld.com/applications/applications2-en.htm

SSI makes the shredder and someone said the electric motor is 3000 HP. I know they remove the side of the building to get the armature out of the motor for repair and you can stand up where the armature once was.

A fullsize Chevy van will be shredded in 20 seconds including the motor, axle, and frame rails.

Go to the watch it shred link on their site or U tube for a demo.

P/R

plunger
03-07-2011, 04:23 PM
You guys in the states speak funny english. I was on holiday in Hawaii when two very pretty girls broke down in their car. I tried to help them so I asked if they ran out of petrol. They looked at me puzzled and then asked if I meant gas. Then I asked if they could open the bonnet and they asked if I meant the hood.
I thought it might be the battery was dead so I asked if they could press the hooter.
They asked if I meant the horn. I was starting to think this was going to be a long day when thankfully the highway patrol rocked up to help. In my country you could be lying half dead outside your car and no one will bother to stop and help you. Its just to dangerous

scatter cat
03-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Get one of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaHg-q0_VXQ Its pretty freaking amazing what you can destroy with it.:D I have cut up 6" heavy wall steel pipe like cutting string with one.

Weston Bye
03-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Visit this site with care and caution. Right after I watched a video, I got a Window message "Internet Explorer has stopped working" just as I clicked to cancel, I remembered *something* about the message being associated with a virus . I went to shut down and the computer indicating that it was installing an update. I immediately pulled the plug.

Lost some of my cookies and can't access my e-mail.

What's up?

I work on compressed gas cylinders for a living and this is what we do. Make sure the vessel is empty and purged. Drill a 1" hole in each end. Send it to the shredder in the local yard. My local guys shreds more than 10,000 cylinders a year just from me. These range from small handheld propane cylinders up to 2500 PSI 1/2" thick industrial gas cylinders.

hjjp://www.ssiworld.com/applications/applications2-en.htn (gimped the url to make it non functional here)

SSI makes the shredder and someone said the electric motor is 3000 HP. I know they remove the side of the building to get the armature out of the motor for repair and you can stand up where the armature once was.

A fullsize Chevy van will be shredded in 20 seconds including the motor, axle, and frame rails.

Go to the watch it shred link on their site or U tube for a demo.

P/R

Elninio
03-07-2011, 06:09 PM
I think you can get a 'diamond wire', that's how they cut these things underwater at least.

wierdscience
03-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Another name for a calefont.

Okay,what's a calefont?:)

tdmidget
03-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Yeah there is a better way.
http://www.harrisequip.com/shears.php
And that's a medium size shear/

The Artful Bodger
03-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Okay,what's a calefont?:)

They are a distant cousin of a side arm heater.:rolleyes:

darryl
03-07-2011, 08:40 PM
I'd have to say get a weight that you can drop on them. Crush the middle, which will want to fold the ends inwards, then crush the ends flatter. Do a beer can first to see the action, then decide on your procedure.

Maybe you can get hold of some abandoned rail and set it up like a battering ram. In my mind I see two pieces of rail suspended horizontally from ropes. Both are pulled back and let go at the same time. Anything in between gets smushed. Maybe this is a bit primitive, but I've been to africa-

demerrill
03-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Some years ago our long-suffering secretary with roots across the pond appeared at the supply room window and asked if she "could have a box of rubbers for the boys in design". After some tense negotiation with the stock clerk she finally got her box of erasers (pre-CAD era).

David Merrill

winchman
03-08-2011, 01:56 AM
I've found that the glass coating on the inside of a water heater tank can make cutting with OA very messy. Does a plasma cutter work better?

brian Rupnow
03-08-2011, 10:02 AM
I may be totally off track here, but could they be crushed flat using a hydraulic woodsplitter.----brian

plunger
03-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Using oxy does seem messy. It seems as if the glass or enamel closes the cut and you have to really cut a lot and the stuff is spraying all over the place. How big are these wood splitters ? I wonder if there is a hand held hydraulic shear or pliers that could cut this Like a small scale pincer . Those huge machines look impressive but they are bigger than the yard

brian Rupnow
03-08-2011, 11:43 AM
The wood splitters are fairly small, with a single cylinder gasoline engine of 5 to 8 HP driving a hydraulic pump ,with a 3" dia. hyd cylinder which usually has about a 20" stroke. The cylinder had a pusher plate on one end, and is mounted horizontally on a 6" I beam . The other end of the I-beam has a wedge shaped like an axe head. They have a manual control lever. Just about everyone in north america who burns firewood in their stoves uses one of these small splitters. they usually have two wheels and a trailer hitch to tow behind your car. cost ranges from $3000 to 10,000 depending on how large and /or many auxiliary gadgets you get with it. Do a web search for hydraulic wood splitter.
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn294/BrianRupnow/27gaslogsplitter.jpg

kf2qd
03-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Sounds like a hot water heater tank made out of 16 g steel. Aught to be able to just crush them with something heavy and then just stack them up. The glass lining would make them a real hassle to cut with just about any process, plasma would probably have show consumable life, abrasives would wear fast trying to cut the glass, saw blades would think they are cutting in sand...

Crush them and stack them.

roundrocktom
03-08-2011, 04:31 PM
Gesyer = Calefont = Hot Water Tank (USA).

An English Friend just about died laughing when he heard the term 'fanny packs'.

Of course when we had called it a night, he did use the phrase that "I'll stop by your room and knock you up in the morning".

Between English, Irish, Australian, New Zealand, and South Africa... I was the one who spoke funny English. We all worked for a large German Firm in Germany. 5000 people in that place, and 10 of us being "native English Speakers".

brian Rupnow
03-08-2011, 04:42 PM
You boys ain't heard 'nuthin till you've had a conversation with a good old Canadian Newfoundlander!!!