PDA

View Full Version : Are you never even a little suspicious when?

Alistair Hosie
03-08-2011, 04:03 PM
An over hyped and glowing report is nearly always given for a new product in the magazines we buy.I wonder if some of those writing these reports to stimulate us to buy maybe given some help with the wording for a fat fee or freebies ? or am I just a dirty low down deeply suspicious guy? Alistair

brian Rupnow
03-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Alistair---Do you remember what the fox said when the farmer asked him if the chicken pen door had been locked for the night??? Treat all magazine reviews where the manufacturer of the product advertises in said magazine with the same skepticism.----Brian

Alistair Hosie
03-08-2011, 05:06 PM
I heartily agree dear friend Good night laddie:DAlistair

Al Messer
03-08-2011, 05:08 PM
or am I just a dirty low down deeply suspicious guy? Alistair

Yep----just like ME!!!

Al

gwilson
03-08-2011, 05:18 PM
I notice that American Rifleman never met a new gun they didn't like. NO matter how crappy and butt ugly is was.

Boucher
03-08-2011, 05:28 PM
There are times that appearances would make one at least suspecious....but. There are times that someone wants to advertise their product that I would hate to be the one to accept their business. The world would be more difficult if we all wanted the same thing. There are a lot of things that are advertised that are a POS and I would not buy it. It bothers me that a lot of these things are oriented toward the newbie. My shop is full of things that I would not buy again. My wife had liver and onions for lunch which she likes. I would simply starve before I would eat liver again. To each his own and let the buyer beware.

Forrest Addy
03-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Allistair, have you been reading US hotrod and auto magazines?

Despicable shills in print

Carld
03-08-2011, 07:51 PM
There was one model airplane magazine that I had a subscription to for years because he told the truth about the model stuff they reviewed. Of course it pissed off a lot of the manufacturers so he didn't have a lot of big money adds. In the long run it cost him the business. The magazine was RC Report.

brian Rupnow
03-08-2011, 08:12 PM
As I understand the publishing business, subscriptions to magazines just don't generate enough cash flow to make it worthwhile. Publishers depend on the revenue from advertisers to keep their businesses afloat. And as we all know, "A wise bird doesn't poop in its own nest!!!" so you won't see very much adverse publicity about an advertisers product.

vpt
03-08-2011, 09:41 PM
I don't believe in any write ups or adds, magazines, TV show advertising like Two guys garage, Trucks, etc. I have noticed it is either because someone paid them to write something good or it is just their personal preference.

I try to ask people that actually own the stuff or check it out myself. Thats kinda what forums are for asking actual people questions about stuff.

George Barnes
03-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Those New Product reviews are sales tools for the advertising salesmen. You write up a small description of the item and supply a picture and they will generally run it one time for free. Then when the inquiries start coming in, they come calling with the idea that "look what you are getting off of that little blurb, think what you will do with a bigger ad for a longer time period". It works well enough that most publications use that tool.

Magazines are funny critters. The advertising is what keeps most of them going. The editorial side of the automotive hobby field is populated mostly by guys who can type and take pictures. I once had a freelance photographer come over and take a bunch of photos of a product that I had started to manufacture. He was looking to sell an article to a magazine. He took the photos and put a number on the back of each 8 x 10 and sent them to me with a request to write a few words about each one. Most people probably would write just that... a few words. I wrote a page on each photo. When the article appeared in one of the automotive hobby magazines, it was 7 full pages long. They had used the text just as I had written it. Basically I did the magazines job for them.

It is kind of interesting to try to not renew a subscription to some of these magazines. Then they start sending the deals, and the longer that you resist, the better they get. I believe that they are desperate to keep the subscription numbers up as that determines the ad rates that they can charge. Just a guess on my part.

J Tiers
03-08-2011, 11:16 PM
It is kind of interesting to try to not renew a subscription to some of these magazines. Then they start sending the deals, and the longer that you resist, the better they get. I believe that they are desperate to keep the subscription numbers up as that determines the ad rates that they can charge. Just a guess on my part.

print is hurting, all they can sell is eyeballs, same as web publishing, but the costs are higher.

You better believe they want readers, that's what they sell.

Check the free-subscription engineering trade mags...... what they sell is the eyeballs of 'decision makers", and "design engineers" who can ensure a part or product is designed-into a new product. That highly qualified audience is worth a lot more than numbers, and usually you basically have to swear that you are one of those folks to get a sub.

Granted that trade mags are mostly a thing of the past now that design, manufacturing, etc is all done in china instead of here, but there are still holdouts.

JRouche
03-08-2011, 11:48 PM
I don't believe in any write ups or adds, magazines,

Consumer reports mag is pretty good. But they dont do shop tools. Small hand tools they do, I think. JR

DougC_582
03-09-2011, 08:24 AM
A bunch of years back (maybe 20?) I was told that the usual ratio of ad rates to cover price was about 85% to 15%. That is to say--the advertising fees for a consumer-oriented print magazine were about 85% of their income, and the cover price profit was about 15%. The main justification for setting the cover price is to orient the magazine towards a certain income level, not to rake in dollars straightaway.

I know print magazines shill product reviews, I know why they do it and I don't blame them. But I tend not to believe them, and it's been a rather long time since I've bought any print magazines (that do product reviews) at all.

Alistair Hosie
03-09-2011, 01:11 PM
I stopped buying woodworking ,woodturning ,magazines, routing etc a while back ,as I soon found I had about a thousand pounds worth just buying a few a week. I now buy only books, it's great, no ads, and straight as a die with advice.
I stopped buying American machine magazines because there were too many guns articles which are useless to us really in the uk besides I don't know the front end from the back,well not quite that dumb.I stopped or never really started with engineering mags as there is too much over here in the U K on steam which I will never attempt as I am intimidated by the technology, and being a shaker ( non religous shaker:D) I don't think I could do it now if I really tried .
All very intersting but not for me incidently I was given hundreds of engineering mags buy a friend hundreds of them mostly articles relating to steam. As I said the American ones were best as long as the guns stuff didn't overtake other articles (George MY Friend) are there any good deals for us UK 'ers.re mags inc del. ? Alistair

George Bulliss
03-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Alistair,

We do run gunsmithing articles, but only in one of our magazines, Machinistís Workshop. Because you are not the only one out there with no use for a gunsmithing article, we do not include them in The Home Shop Machinist and never will.

You may already know this; just thought I would mention it so there was no misunderstanding.

George

goose
03-09-2011, 01:45 PM
Reviews and previews. The previews I find are just ad copy taken verbatim and printed in a blurb with photo of product accompanied. Reviews are formulaic, with "win, place and show" evaluations, and are as interested in promoting consumerism as they are in comparing products.

I won't lie, I do like reading the reviews, and also the ads in many magazines. But some publications I used to love have become so heavily weighted with advertising masquerading as editorial content that I it's just not worth more than a quick flip through at the bookstore magazine rack. I dropped all my subscriptions to Taunton Press publications (FWW, FHB ) partly because of that. Maybe if I was new to a particular hobby, I'd have a different view.

Gary

RKW
03-09-2011, 02:25 PM
On a similar note, how many new (and quite bad) reality programs just show up and state it is the #1 television program? I sure don't remember getting to vote on it!

Black_Moons
03-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Alistair,

We do run gunsmithing articles, but only in one of our magazines, Machinistís Workshop. Because you are not the only one out there with no use for a gunsmithing article, we do not include them in The Home Shop Machinist and never will.

You may already know this; just thought I would mention it so there was no misunderstanding.

George

Congrats for not letting gun fever overwhelm the magazine. Theres plenty of other mags for that.