PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy box drawer slides

70Chrgr
03-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Hello, as a long time reader and first time poster, I'd like to introduce myself and start a discussion on a favorite topic of mine: restoring kennedy tool boxes.

I've breathed new life into a couple of Kennedys creations, and I often find that some soapy water and craft store felt is enough to turn a 10$ craigslist find into a real jewel.

However I've encountered a problem on several boxes, and the problem eludes me. sometimes a drawer slides smoothly, empty or full, sometimes only when full, and sometimes not at all. I have tried several oils and greases, and cannot get that "new toolbox feel" into some of the old slides.

Also, sometimes the slide releases scratch the drawers, despite not being worn or bent, as seen here

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb464/Chrgr521/Kennedyslide.jpg

Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions?

JoeLee
03-08-2011, 11:04 PM
I have 4 Kennedy boxes and an old Rem Line that have the same friction slides. I know what you mean but don't have an answer as I've never really paid much attention to it. The Kennedy and Rem Line both slide with the same feel, both are also pretty much full. The weight does give it a smooth feel but also increases the amount of force required to open or close the drawer. If a drawer just doesn't have that smooth feel I would look at what might be creating the drag. Looking at you picture I can see a score line along the side of the drawer indicating that the slide latch is scraping.

JL................

PixMan
03-08-2011, 11:13 PM
I've got three Kennedy rolling cabinets, one MC-28 2-drawer riser and one 52611 tool box. One of the roll-arounds (the Stainless Steel one) came with ball bearing slides. I'm about to change the slides to ball-bearing type on the 295B because two of the drawers are WAY too heavy for friction slides. One is chuck full of drills, the other is packed with heavy tools. On my 297B, I have one heavy drawer carrying "mechanics" tools that should also get a pair or more of balll bearing slides.

I don't have any of them with that kind of problem though.

form_change
03-09-2011, 04:15 AM
Have you tried a spray on dry lubricant? I'm wondering whether the loads are enough to push the oils and grease out of the way so you still have metal on metal

Michael

PixMan
03-09-2011, 05:35 AM
Come to think of it, all you'd have to do to alleviate that condition is remove the spring clip, grind a 64th of the inch off the protruding end and replace it. Or, just hold it out with a wedge (prydriver) and use a Dremel tool to knock a little off.

70Chrgr
03-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied.

form_change- dry lube is definitely something I'll keep in mind, I know I have had luck with Drop'll Do Graphite lube. I guess after trying Hoppes gun oil, Lubriplate, WD-40, Used motor oil, and even synthetic axle grease I forgot to think outside the (petroleum) box.

Pixman- cutting the retainers to size is certainly an option, but I wanted to see if there was a perhaps a misalignment of the slides or a wear condition that caused the scraping in the first place.

I'm going to start measuring the slides I take off of the toolboxes, to see if maybe the H-shape of the center slide is bending due to wear (perhaps the channels are opening into more of an X shape, allowing the retainers to scrape the drawer). Nevertheless, I'll report back with my findings.

RobbieKnobbie
03-09-2011, 11:27 PM
That side 'latch' should hook into the small round hole by the front of the drawer. It should only come out of that hole when you are removing the drawer.

Smokey Gold
05-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Hello, I am new to the forum today and am looking for a Kennedy drawer slide just like the one you pictured. I believe mine is the same as yours and is 7-1/2" long. I have contacted Kennedy and they will only sell a complete set of 14 slides. I am not going to buy a complete set at this time. Do you or does any of the other responders have an extra slide they would sell? If there is any out there let me the price, etc. My model is a 520. Thanks, Smokey Gold

gary350
05-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Try chain saw bar lube that stuff is slicker than anything I have found. I lube all my door locks and door knob parts with this and it is unreal how easy the parts move. I also use it on my mill and lathe. I even put it in my lawn mower engine and on the lawn mower wheel axles. This stuff is great for anything that slides.

RancherBill
05-26-2011, 05:11 PM
I'm late as always.

On mine (not a Kennedy) I fully disassemble the slide and switched the left side for the right side. It worked much better because the wear patterns were different.

PixMan
05-27-2011, 07:21 AM
Hello, I am new to the forum today and am looking for a Kennedy drawer slide just like the one you pictured. I believe mine is the same as yours and is 7-1/2" long. I have contacted Kennedy and they will only sell a complete set of 14 slides. I am not going to buy a complete set at this time. Do you or does any of the other responders have an extra slide they would sell? If there is any out there let me the price, etc. My model is a 520. Thanks, Smokey Gold

That doesn't sound right.

Call a Kennedy distributor and have them get what you need. They can definitely get you those drawer slides by the pair.

Lu47Dan
05-27-2011, 07:40 AM
70Chrgr, I had a lot of trouble with the slides on my Kennedy tool chest and roll away when I first bought them. At the time I worked in a plastic injection molding shop and bought it through the company, after a few tries at fixing the problem with the hard pulling drawers (light oil to white lithium grease). I pulled the slides and cleaned them with mold cleaner, than lubed them with dry silicon spray lube. It took an eight hour shift to remove all the drawers, than take the slides off, clean them, lubricate them and install everything back into the chest and rollaway. It made a slow Friday night with no setups go quickly and cured the problem. I do give tehm a shot of lube every once in awhile to keep them sliding nicely.
I need to do it again here pretty soon, as some of the drawers are getting sticky again and a shot of lube only helps for a day or two.
Dan.

Arthur.Marks
05-27-2011, 09:37 AM
That doesn't sound right... drawer slides by the pair.
Go here: http://www.kennedymfg.com/Kennedy/Catalog/Downloads/AccessoryCatalog2010.pdf
Look on the bottom of page 3 at item numbers 80887 & 80888. Figure out which of the two item numbers you need. Order by item number from a distributor.